Is there truth to the term, "Old fart?"

Walker1
This topic is 1124 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My dad was an old fart and I am beginning to see tendencies in that direction as I age. is there hope or just a natural progression of aging. Does exercise and diet help prevent this "condition"?

I am not sure what symptoms you are observing, can you confirm...

Do you value “the good old times when <insert here whatever young people were doing when you were 20>“ ?

Do you shout “get of my lawn!” at the neighbour’s kids?

Do children being children (= noisy) make you irritable?

Do you think “people used to have respect for the elderly, and not any more!”

Do you think today’s popular music is just noise, and will never be even 10% as good as the music of the sixties/seventies/eighties? (Choose your favourite decade).

Any other symptoms?

My recommendation for this condition is international travel. Especially in the 3rd world. It helps put things into perspective and makes you care less about things that don’t matter so much. Help you “let go” of certain irritations.

I am not sure what symptoms you are observing, can you confirm...

I actually meant literally-passing extra gas than when I was younger. Since my dad did fart a bit as he got older and I do realize there is a term old fart, I was just wondering if it is the perils of age or diet can change?

I actually meant literally-passing extra gas than when I was younger. Since my dad did fart a bit as he got older and I do realize there is a term old fart, I was just wondering if it is the perils of age or diet can change?

Lol! Sorry I didn’t make the connection between the phrase and the diet!

LOL.

Im not a clinician, but here are some things to consider

• Its possible your metabolism will change over time
  • Its possible your diet and food interests will change over time. Its common that, as we age, there's more interest in fiber. There's generally more interest in healthier food too. (Or less tolerance or desire for unhealthy crap.)
  • Behaviors change. Eating earlier or later. Less or more physical activity. Even hurried meals, or dental issues resulting in less chewing, can have an effect.

One common sense suggestion... chew food, particularly veggies, very thoroughly. To consistency of baby food/ mush.

• 2 years later...

I’ve got to know. Do you have any fart situations you can share? Have you farted during a massage? Did the masseur? What did you do/say? What did the masseur do/say? Inquiring minds want to know. Please share.

My dad was an old fart and I am beginning to see tendencies in that direction as I age. is there hope or just a natural progression of aging. Does exercise and diet help prevent this "condition"?

It's probably individual. I fart less than I used to.

I find that I fart more often when playing tennis than I used to (mostly when I hit a forehand, but sometimes on my slice backhand drop shot).

this one kindly gentleman let one fly in my pilates class.

Even if you're old all your farts are new.

I find the older I get, the less I can trust a fart. As in trust that a fart is all it is...I thought this would come considerably later in life than my late 40s...

A guy let a HUGE one go in the (small) changing room of the aerobics studio I was at, then said "Sorry, I'm a vegetarian". I was at a loss for a response. .

I searched this forum for bad breath and fart, but didn't find what I am looking for. I see some people have fart fetish and wanted to be farted on. So I respect that.

Also, everybody farts, and I think it is unpleasant / embarrassing to have my provider suffer the smell. Any way to minimize it? Any food to avoid?

Beano is great for "fart prevention".

2076400.jpg

What an appropriate screen name for the poster of this comment:

https://www.oddee.com/item_98612.aspx

According to the above link you should fart about 14 times a day. And pay specific attention to Fact #3. Who knew that collectively over a period of time your farts could possess the energy of an atomic bomb. :D

unless you were meant to fart something out 5 days ago, but something, like constipation, prevented you from letting it out and what might have been a regular smelling fart turned into something really horrible coz all that built up stool and associated odor just ruminate down there...I mean, it's possible ?‍♂️

A guy let a HUGE one go in the (small) changing room of the aerobics studio I was at, then said "Sorry, I'm a vegetarian". I was at a loss for a response.

that was prolly a good since u were probably focusing on holding your breath ?

unless you were meant to fart something out 5 days ago, but something, like constipation, prevented you from letting it out and what might have been a regular smelling fart turned into something really horrible coz all that built up stool and associated odor just ruminate down there...I mean, it's possible ?‍♂️

A guy let a HUGE one go in the (small) changing room of the aerobics studio I was at, then said "Sorry, I'm a vegetarian". I was at a loss for a response.

that was prolly a good since u were probably focusing on holding your breath ?

I find that I fart more often when playing tennis than I used to (mostly when I hit a forehand, but sometimes on my slice backhand drop shot).