Townhouse in New York

crazy4u
This topic is 973 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>Someone told me the other day that the Townhouse was closed.

>Is it true?

When last I visited, about a week ago, the BAR was still open for business, and seemed to be doing its usual brisk business. The RESTAURANT down the block closed its doors at least a month ago.

EJ

That's right -- the restaurant closed at the end of December. It's being rehabbed into an upscale chinese place. The bar is open for business.

This occasions a couple of observations. I liked the TH restaurant, and used it as my "default" place for a long time. The bar was congenial -- there were usually some colorful characters, and a few problem drinkers from time to time but nothing a good bartender couldn't handle, and the bartenders at the restaurant were among the best in the business. The food was always decent, occasionally stellar, and modestly priced. Well, there was that one time with the saffron mashed potatoes that is best forgotten.... I really, really miss the place.

IMHO the TH bar has morphed over the last few years from a fairly upscale older-younger dynamic to a much less discriminating, and to me at least, much less interesting place. But the piano crowd continues, and Rick Unterberg is still the best singalong pianist in the western world.

• 15 years later...

Apologies if needed for resurrecting this thread after so many years, but it is the only one that named the TH’s superlative pianist Rick Unterberg.

I learned today that Rick died of the Covid-19 virus on April 23.  The TH will be holding a tribute to him on Tues., Sept. 28.  I am afraid I cannot be there in person, but will be holding him in my heart.  

Edited by BgMstr4u