TV Commercials You Hate?

Avalon

13 minutes ago, E.T.Bass said:

There are SO many insurance commercials, and they are all comedic.  Are they getting old?  Especially one in particular.

spacer.png

They are all awful. The emu thing has just gotten tedious. The latest batch of "Flo" ads I've never even seen all the way through (I just mute them and turn away from the TV). The worst ones may be the "Car Shield" ads with Ice-T, which don't even try to be funny, they're just bad. 

The only ones that I did actually find funny for a while were the Progressive "sign spinner" ads (the guy playing the sign spinner is kinda cute lol) - but even those have overstayed their welcome. 

The really weird thing is how it feels to me that the car insurance ads in particular (and the ads for cars themselves) seem to have picked up a lot in the last year. So - during the worst of the pandemic, people were staying home more, travelling less, and yet this was the time to sell cars and car insurance??? :classic_rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

How am I just discovering this thread?!

The Almond Breeze song makes my ears bleed.

Hate the Liberty Wet Teddy Bears guy. 

Car insurance commercial with the creepy singing hood ornament. 

The Volvo commercial which featured "The Parents" song by Pete Seegar.  I couldn't reach for the mute button fast enough every time that frigging song started

Edited by dcguy20

13 hours ago, dcguy20 said:

Hate the Liberty Wet Teddy Bears guy. 

Car insurance commercial with the creepy singing hood ornament. 

The Volvo commercial which featured "The Parents" song by Pete Seeger.  I couldn't reach for the mute button fast enough every time that frigging song started

Agreed on the wet teddy bears (wtf??) and frankly all the Liberty ads (Doug and his stupid emu are really wearing thin...) - and the creepy singing hood ornament is, well, creepy. 

The Pete Seeger song ("Hard Times In The Mill") is a classic, and I don't mind hearing it. But to me it doesn't make any sense in relation to the ad. The song *seems* to want to tell us (in this context) that the couple HATES parenthood, comparing it to the drudgery of working at a mill. If so, they really should give their kids to more worthy parents. 

Edited by bostonman

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, g56whiz said:

Last year I spent months in a hospital bed drooling over Appleby ads on TV while only getting hospital gruel three times a day. Can’t watch them anymore without remembering my frustration. 

I can now officially say that I am sick to death of the Welcome Back Kotter and Cheers theme songs. They really need to find something else, fast. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

OK, I can't take this one anymore.  I generally like Melissa McCarthy, but this is one of the all time stupidest commercials I have ever seen in my life!  "Buying a house is hard, so I'm breaking things. I heard it brings good luck."  REALLY????  And they play it relentlessly!!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bqDe/chase-myhome-breaking-stuff-featuring-melissa-mccarthy-jonathan-scott-drew-scott

8 minutes ago, Becket said:

The Liberty Insurance guy and his Emu. "Liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty.  Though the one with the dumb actor is funny.  Just repeated so much, though.  Endless.

Yes! Thank you!!!

12 hours ago, Boink said:

OK, I can't take this one anymore.  I generally like Melissa McCarthy, but this is one of the all time stupidest commercials I have ever seen in my life!  "Buying a house is hard, so I'm breaking things. I heard it brings good luck."  REALLY????  And they play it relentlessly!!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bqDe/chase-myhome-breaking-stuff-featuring-melissa-mccarthy-jonathan-scott-drew-scott

Her appearance on their CELEBRITY IOU show was charming (seriously).

https://www.companyofmen.org/topic/119101-celebrity-iou/

For some reason an ad featuring Charles Barkley and Chris Redd as the voice in his head is amusing to me.  I just enjoy the way Chris Redd does his Barkley impression.  " You son't want to be a knuckle head.  Are you hun gree.  I am hun gree,   We are hun gree".   

8 hours ago, Becket said:

The Liberty Insurance guy and his Emu. "Liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty.  Though the one with the dumb actor is funny.  Just repeated so much, though.  Endless.

yes, "Struggling Actor" is very popular.....good-looking Canadian actor/model Tanner Novlan nails it......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...