My high school algebra teacher used to talk to his pens.

Oaktown

This topic is 1333 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

President Donald Trump has said he is considering the proposals to promote concealed carrying of weapons by trained school employees to respond to campus shootings.

Meeting with students and parents affected by school shootings, Mr Trump is responding to a call to arm teachers and other school employees so they can react before law enforcement arrives.

Should teachers and coaches 'pack'?

Whoever would have guessed that a TV reality star with no government experience, 6 bankruptcies, 5 children from 3 different marriages, 11 charges of sexual assault, 4,000+ lawsuits would turn out this bad?

Watching Lawrence O'Donnell tonight on MSNBC. I agree with him that expecting a teacher to confront and "take down" with a handgun a determined assailant with an assault rifle like the AR-15 is just not realistic. In the middle of such terrifying situation, even trained police have very poor accuracy in their shots and it is highly likely that the teacher would hit innocent bystanders than neutralize the assailant. I would suggest that schools employ more professional security guards, install bulletproof doors that a teacher can remotely lock, give teachers communication devices that immediately put them into contact with local law enforcement, conduct regular drills (RUN, HIDE, FIGHT), have fewer points of entry into the buildings and heavily secure those entries, install a more comprehensive network of closed-circuit television, and perhaps install a system to rapidly "fog" the school corridors so that the shooter would be unable to see his way around (I saw this on Rosen Reports the other day).

O'Donnell also noted that the Republican cut funding on school security in their last budget proposal.

The "listening session" today was so welcome, but still all too predictable. Many good and perceptive things were said by the participants. I continue to be deeply moved by the strength and the maturity and pure heartfelt honesty of the students who have been speaking out in the last week. They are all heroes, even if they don't want to be known as such.

But whenever trump had the floor, it was all babble babble babble. As amazing as it was that he seemed to stay attentive for the whole hour (!!), his responses were the expected meandering/repetitive thoughts that went nowhere and meant nothing. (At least he made it through without once uttering his favorite Russian word, "nokalusion.")

Not that I expected any magic transformations or solutions - this is just a very first step. But still, very discouraging that neither trump, nor the vice president, nor the platitude-filled DeVos, really had anything at all to offer except for trumpian rambling and Hallmark card style boilerplate.

But yes - the absolutely ridiculous suggestion that arming more people in schools in a concealed carry situation would have any effect - just so wrongheaded. But of course, that's the only way so many politicians can see it - that idiotic fallacy that the only way to combat guns is with more guns. I just don't get it.

Edited by bostonman

Watching Lawrence O'Donnell tonight on MSNBC. I agree with him that expecting a teacher to confront and "take down" with a handgun a determined assailant with an assault rifle like the AR-15 is just not realistic. In the middle of such terrifying situation, even trained police have very poor accuracy in their shots and it is highly likely that the teacher would hit innocent bystanders than neutralize the assailant.

Another point O'Donnell made that I had not considered is that SWAT teams sweeping for shooters could mistakenly shoot down gun-carrying teachers.

If you're Donald Trump, you think the classroom will be a safer place with a gun in it. You think that teachers have nothing else to do, and will instantly transform into Vin Diesel and hop into action when killers come in. Evidently, when the criminal enters the classroom with an AR-15, the teacher will pull out a handgun and subdue him. If I were a killer, I'd make it a point to enter the classroom and shoot the teacher first, just in case. I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion.

But what if I manage to get my gun out in time? What if I miss? What if I miss and hit one of the kids? What if I miss, hit one of the kids, and the gunman puts down seven or twelve more while I deal with my shock? What if I'm in the middle of a really great lesson and don't want to interrupt it by shooting at the gunman? And what if I have a nervous breakdown, and rather than scream at the kid who made me mad, shoot him dead? Maybe I'm tired of calling his parents.

I don't think I'd do anything like that, but who knows? Cops aren't perfect. They make mistakes, and being cops is their job. It's not my job. I don't even want to be dean. Why do I want to deal every single day with the most problematic students in the building? Sorry, but it's all I can do to deal with the problematic students in my classes. Other people want to be deans. Should they be armed? I think not.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows....

Che Guevara: "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/213/272/16a.jpg

Sorry, but it's all I can do to deal with the problematic students in my classes. Other people want to be deans. Should they be armed? I think not.

Well, honey, ah sure hope your school dont get attacked bah grizzly bahrs.

“Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

-The Marx Brothers

Sheriff’s deputies are now guarding the home of Scott Peterson, the armed school resource officer who hid outside as 17 students were massacred inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida.

The 30-year veteran of the force took cover outside the school while the shots were being fired. Peterson was suspended without pay when video surveillance exposed his actions, and promptly retired.

“He has the necessary time with the agency, and meets the requirements of retirement, so he resigned-slashed-retired,” said sheriff Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

"17 kids died on my watch, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

retired_mex_shirt-700x700.jpg

Whoever would have guessed that a TV reality star with no government experience, 6 bankruptcies, 5 children from 3 different marriages, 11 charges of sexual assault, 4,000+ lawsuits would turn out this bad?

“Deputy Sheriff Peterson, I guess his name is,” Trump immediately replied. “They brought it out, I was surprised. It deserves to be brought out. What he did — he’s trained, but when it came time to get in there and do something, he didn’t have the courage or something happened. But he certainly did a poor job.”

If there's one thing Donnie's a certified expert on, it's people doing a poor job.

To be fair, they were waiting for backup from the trained and armed teachers.

(CNN)When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.