Right wing relatives

Stormy
This topic is 1338 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

How the hell do you deal with these people? I can't post my political thoughts on social media without them fucking up my page with Make America Great Trump crap and Obama is responsible for everything wrong that has ever occurred in our country. FOX news has really fucked up these Yahoos brains. Aw Shuck. What to do?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell do you deal with these people?

th?id=OIP.zntg4g1FS65KD-KoXh2zggHaFj&pid=15.1&P=0&w=221&h=167

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

I just dealt with this yesterday. A cousin-in-law posted something quoting George Washington as supporting individual gun rights. It was actually a photo of a real iron historic marker in Texas with the alleged quote of Washington. Knowing GW fairly well, I knew this seemed odd so I googled. Sure enough there were plenty of references to how this was a totally fabricated quote and Washington, in fact, believed otherwise. I'm not the type to stay quiet.

I commented that "Not that facts matter anymore at all, but Washington never said any such thing" and cited FactCheck on it. I guess it was just polite and factual enough that I got away with it.

This is the trouble on both sides. People no longer care about truth or facts at all. Just whatever reinforces their opinion. People are starting to only talk to people with identical views and they're not going to enhance their knowledge that way. I have a cousin de-friending people everyday who are for gun control at all. It's a shame but we're all starting to do it. We're all in decline because of it.

The French aristocracy didn't see it coming either.

Ignore list: marylander1940, WilliamM, JJKirkwood

Fox News is a brain-washing enterprise that preys on and stokes certain people's primal fears. There's very little actual "News" in it at all. I view it as entertainment...but of a very sinister kind. It seduces certain weak-minded people into actually believing things that are completely false. It portrays extremist views as acceptable. It feeds its audience lie after lie in order to get people to think a certain way. Lies become truth. Greatness becomes evil. Fairness becomes weakness. It's like some kind of drug that becomes very addictive to its viewers.

Sadly I saw my dad get addicted to FOX. Watching it for hours on end. Over and over and over. I also lost a very good friend to the opioid called FoxNews and general extreme right-wing views. Whilst there is a lot of true white trash that watches Fox, there are also some very intelligent people that fall into its clutches. I still don't understand how anyone with half a brain can watch it and believe what is being fed to them. But they do.

For me, the saddest by-product of vehicles such as Fox or Rush or Ann is that people have lost the ability to distinguish between truth and fiction. Or even worse, knowingly disposing of the truth to embrace a contrived reality.

My mother is a Republican. Her political views do not match much of what goes on with the popular right wing narratives of today. One of my brothers is a Republican. He's more right wing than my mother, but he's been growing more and more disenfranchised from right wing politics over the past 10-15 years. They're both appalled by Trump, and my brother is deeply troubled as Republicans shift from platform values to Trump's values. He's embarrassed by the vindictive nature of the partisan divide. We had a long talk the other day where he ranted about how the desire to defeat the Democrats has led to some absurdly extreme partisan divides. When Mom watches Fox News with me she'll mute it to point out all of the blatant bias and logical fallacies.

I've had to distance myself from Trump-supporting friends because I find I just don't respect them anymore. I'm left with a lot of disillusioned conservatives for friends.

My right-winger relatives aren't much different than my left-wing ones in essence. I <3 them all. Mom's side are religious conservatives, Dad's side are religious progressives. I've dated righties & lefties too, and had good & bad experiences with both. It's all about the person inside, not what party or ideology they belong to. <3

Radical Independent

Fox News is a brain-washing enterprise that preys on and stokes certain people's primal fears. There's very little actual "News" in it at all. I view it as entertainment...but of a very sinister kind. It seduces certain weak-minded people into actually believing things that are completely false. It portrays extremist views as acceptable. It feeds its audience lie after lie in order to get people to think a certain way. Lies become truth. Greatness becomes evil. Fairness becomes weakness. It's like some kind of drug that becomes very addictive to its viewers.

Sadly I saw my dad get addicted to FOX. Watching it for hours on end. Over and over and over. I also lost a very good friend to the opioid called FoxNews and general extreme right-wing views. Whilst there is a lot of true white trash that watches Fox, there are also some very intelligent people that fall into its clutches. I still don't understand how anyone with half a brain can watch it and believe what is being fed to them. But they do.

For me, the saddest by-product of vehicles such as Fox or Rush or Ann is that people have lost the ability to distinguish between truth and fiction. Or even worse, knowingly disposing of the truth to embrace a contrived reality.

Uhm ok, but Liberals act like they aren't being brainwashed by corporate media also, especially by MSNBC spoonfeeding Neocon warmonger propaganda & talking points to them disguised as liberal #resistance all the time. It's sad but also amusing to see how supposedly well educated libs fall for propaganda as easily as the "rednecks" they criticize for drinking Fox News kool-aid...

A perfect example of this is Democrats now holding war criminal GWB in high regard after calling him a Nazi & more for the majority of his 8 years in office. All it took was a few months of positive media coverage, along with a Neocon warmonger rehabilitation book tour to get libs to accept him as one of their own. Over 50% of Democrats approve of him now lol

Radical Independent

A perfect example of this is Democrats now holding war criminal GWB in high regard after calling him a Nazi & more for the majority of his 8 years in office. All it took was a few months of positive media coverage, along with a Neocon warmonger rehabilitation book tour to get libs to accept him as one of their own. Over 50% of Democrats approve of him now lol

W. Bush holds a majority favorable rating among every demographic group except liberals — you know, the people you hate.

And Republicans give the war criminal a 76% favorable rating.

How the hell do you deal with these people? I can't post my political thoughts on social media without them fucking up my page with Make America Great Trump crap and Obama is responsible for everything wrong that has ever occurred in our country. FOX news has really fucked up these Yahoos brains. Aw Shuck. What to do?

How to deal with these people on Facebook? Easy. Block them.

My mother is a Republican.

My mother was a Republican. While I miss my mother very much, I'm relieved that she is not here today to witness what has happened to her political party.

The Republican party has been obliterated. I don't know what to label this current draconian, warmongering, deficit-Hungry, isolationist-oriented, parasitic enclave that is currently consuming our government.

Well, honey, maybe you ought bake em a pie

“Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

-The Marx Brothers

Plain and simple : agree to disagree. Left-wing relatives were when alive and currently are all I got. Since both dominant political sides get on my nerves tremendously and are equally responsible for a great many problems my country faces, I vote independent (not faux Republican independent, as that pisses the hell out of me, too), watch candidates I support come in last, and occasionally rant here. :mad:

The OP posts a great question. If I can figure of the factor(s) the drive an individual to his or her hardcore right-wing positions, it's easier for me to accept them and not discount them as a crazy wingnut. I see a number of factors that influence these people:

Community. Coworkers and neighbors create an echo chamber that repeats and reinforces the same message... much of it coming from Fox news (or, as we've recently learned, Russian trolls).

Education level. If you've never learned to think critically, you're quick to believe simplistic platitudes.

Life circumstances and experience. Some people are exposed to more diversity or have eye-opening life experiences that change their way of thinking. Others, not so much.

Genetics. Science shows that different life forms have different mechanisms for dealing with their environment, especially how they react to perceived threats. Some life forms snarl or attack. Others retreat, join the herd, change color or play possum. Others assess the threat and have a conditional response. For humans, there's a large body of studies that show a correlation between a person's default mechanisms for dealing with their environment and their stated political affiliation.

Opportunism. They see opportunity for power, financial gain -- or both.

For most of right-wing types that I know personally, it's fairly easy to know if community, education level or live circumstances/experiences are factors. For the extreme right-wingers that post to this site, I know nothing about their community, education and life experiences. So I tend to assume it's genetics.

I used to be that way-hating the right, couldn't bear to watch Fox News for more than a few seconds etc. Then I chose to have kids in an unconventional way. The people who helped and continue to help me are my right wing family.

I was stunned to say the least. When it is just you, you can live in a carboard box, move anywhere, do anything-not so with kids. My left friends all just disappeared-could have been the new lifestyle was not a match with their interests-whatever-but vanish they did. Like Biden said-you can't eat words and concepts.

I have learnt to love and be grateful to my right wing relatives. I have also learnt to be very comfortable in my "gayness". I do not flaunt it, but if they go off on the homos trying to brainwash blah, blah, I politely remind them about myself. If I get strong comments, I can hold my own, without becoming a realhousewives clone.

I think it was Martin Luther King who said something about dreaming about a day when we are not judged by the color of the skin. Unfortunately today it is a hellhole of judgement on both sides.

This is not saying all right wing are one type and left wing are other-just my experience in my very small circle of friends and family. I think I have matured, learnt to accept people for what they are-warts and all. There are gay people who kill other gay people and same for straits and the same for political ideology.

Hate is hate, when you rejoice in the death of a 99 year old man and wish another old man in his last legs would join him-how is that different from some right wing nutjob wishing gays died in the AIDS "plague". You can't claim the moral high ground anymore -the abused becoming the abuser. Fighting legislation, changing minds is great, rejoicing in the death of old men-not a pretty look.

I have just learnt to be happy in this world, learnt I will be in this world a short time. Glad I could have my own biological kids-as surprisingly am the last of my brother and sister-glad I can be gay and glad that I can interact with right wing relative who help me and my kids and able to deal with them maturely-as in we know which topics we won't budge, so just don't disucss the same. The rest we are just humans in this journey of life and be glad I am not in Saudi or Iran where they may throw me off buildings simply for being openly gay.

I know in some circles this makes me worse than Hitler or Stalin as I humanize the right-that is your viewpoint -enjoy, but being in a perpetual state of outrage and being controlled by what others say is not my cup of tea anymore-been there , done that and have the tee -now I slink back to the gallery forum. Ducking :D

Seems like they are all entitled to their own viewpoints. And politics perhaps should not be the overall foundation of a relationship, family, friends?

My late uncle was a legend in my mother's large family for his all-out support of FDR. Apparently, it was all talked about. He and my mom were the youngest of 8 children so naturally his older siblings grew tired of nothing but politics. Later he switched to Goldwater. You are right @MikeBiDude otherwise he was a wonderful person.

My late uncle was a legend in my mother's large family for his all-out support of FDR. Apparently, it was all talked about. He and my mom were the youngest of 8 children so naturally his older siblings grew tired of nothing but politics. Later he switched to Goldwater. You are right @MikeBiDude otherwise he was a wonderful person.

FDR to Goldwater? I understand how it could have happened, but that was quite a leap. Goldwater proposed dismantling some of what FDR started.

“Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

-The Marx Brothers

People no longer care about truth or facts at all.

I saw a post on Yahoo yesterday from a Trump supporter who stated that CNN had given Hillary some of the debate questions beforehand. I commented in reply that, actually, it was Donna Brazile, a CNN commentator, and NOT CNN that had given Hillary's team the questions. That's a fact that Brazile has admitted. Of course, I got about 40 "Thumbs Down" and quite a few nasty replies. Trump supporters have their own "Alternative Facts" - and you are wasting your time trying to rebut them. So, the best policy is to just keep your mouth shut..... and vote.

FDR to Goldwater over 50 years isn't that surprising compared to us just going through an election that was decided by so many poor midwestern whites switching from Obama to Trump.

And that suggests how to deal with right-wing relatives. Try to understand their fears and their frustration and "get on their side" with your conversation. You really aren't going to change minds with disrespect or heated arguments. It just gets both sides into being more defensive and the last thing we, or a family, needs is more polarization.

If, as with my family, a lot of those right-wing family members are poor whites, try to sympathize. Even show empathy. It could be their life isn't easy and they do suffer a lot of insults from the bourgeoisie educated upper middle class. Remember, this past election poor whites were tagged as the "Deplorables", and not by the Republican !

They feel that they don't qualify for affirmative action because they're poor but white, while wealthy African-Americans and latinos do. Tell them affirmative action should be based on need. Sympathize how impossible it is to afford college for the kids and without it the only sure job they can get is joining the military. And then if they're lucky enough to come home alive, there are no jobs for them. But lower-wage foreigners are brought in by corporations by the boatload to replace American workers. And believe me, poor whites detest corporations. Especially ones that pay no tax and rich people who pay no tax. Poor whites lucky enough to have a job are probably paying at a 35% or so tax rate. Let them cut loose on Wall Street getting bailed out while millions of Americans were foreclosed on.

And they depend on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet 75% of those Obama-to-Trump switching poor whites went into the voting booth with both cards in their wallet. They can't fathom old-age without both and know they provide very little already.

Economic issues really matter to these people; it's not just the emotional issues like guns, abortion, gay rights, and fear of Muslims. Those fears are a lot harder to sympathize with. But a lot of them really are getting a shitty deal in life economically and their fuck-em-all attitude is understandable. Be on their side.

I saw a post on Yahoo yesterday from a Trump supporter who stated that CNN had given Hillary some of the debate questions beforehand. I commented in reply that, actually, it was Donna Brazile, a CNN commentator, and NOT CNN that had given Hillary's team the questions. That's a fact that Brazile has admitted. Of course, I got about 40 "Thumbs Down" and quite a few nasty replies. Trump supporters have their own "Alternative Facts" - and you are wasting your time trying to rebut them. So, the best policy is to just keep your mouth shut..... and vote.

Sorry, I might agree that was splitting hairs.