Danger, Will Robinson!

This topic is 1568 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched the first episode. Way different from the original series.

No gays in it

http://everydayheterosexism.blogspot.com/2018/04/is-lost-in-space-worth-trip.html

Indeed. I'm actually quite surprised that this version didn't take advantage of the idea of making Dr. Smith openly gay, instead of that "is he or isn't he" quality that Jonathan Harris brought to the role, in an era when actually being gay on TV would not have been acceptable.

I watched a few episodes of the original 60's show recently - I think it was on the "Decades" channel. I hadn't really seen the show since watching it in syndication when I was a kid. I had forgotten how funny and clever it was, as well as campy. Or maybe better to say that I didn't quite realize how campy the show was - at that age I don't think I knew that term, even though I'm sure I felt it.

I tend to think I won't be watching this new version - sometimes the old classics really don't need touchups at all.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to give it a try. I already hate the kid.

Then you remember the very handsome Mark Goddard who played Major Don West.

~Boomer~

I'm hoping this this version's handsome Don West, Ignacio Serricchio, will be more shirtless, sweaty, and passionate than was proper in the '60s.

MV5BYjhmY2ExODEtZDE1ZC00NDM2LWIyM2QtYzZhYzEzZDI2YjBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM0OTkwMg@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpghttp://cdn-men.aznude.com/ignacioserricchio/badasses/Serricchio-bad-asses-f1f29143.jpg

Preferably not manscaped

They never explicitly stated it but I got the impression Judy was Maureen's biological daughter, from a previous marriage.

At a promotional event for the newest Fantastic Four movie, someone asked Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara how they could be siblings - they shot it down with a response something like "That's a really dumb question".

I just finished the new season and I liked it. Quite a bit different from the 60's series. I hope they get a second season.

I binged it. I enjoyed it. What may have turned some off, me included in the beginning, was making Dr Smith a woman. I hate when remakes change the gender or race of a well-known character. But it was done well in this show. I too hope that there will be another season.

This like the original focused on Jupiter 2. I don't remember the original explained what happened to Jupiter 1. This series clarified all that.

In the original there was a chimpanzee-like animal named Debbie. In this remake Debbie was a chicken. ;-)))

The show was set in the 24th century. There were blacks and Japanese and (East) Indians. I wonder happened to the Russians and Chinese?

Major disappointment was that there were no gays.

What may have turned some off, me included in the beginning, was making Dr Smith a woman. I hate when remakes change the gender or race of a well-known character.

I'm quite the opposite. Making Starbuck a woman in the Battlestar:Galactica remake was brilliant, IMHO. Especially since she retained ALL the characteristics of the original; the womanizing (guy-izing), the rebellious attitude, even the cigars.

Oddly, though, changing an insignificant characteristic bothers me. Hair color, for example. Matt Murdock (Daredevil) is a redhead, and I think they tried to make Ben Affleck a redhead, but not very hard. Barry Allen (the Flash) has a blonde flattop. he's not a brunette, like Grant Gustin.

This helps to explain the ending.

Regarding the lack of gay characters it would have been so easy to make Don West gay; just in passing he could have mentioned a husband or boyfriend.

The letter the (East) Indian teen wrote, I was hoping that it was a coming out letter to his parents. His father was intimidating so a letter might be the best option.

Continuing hijacking my own thread :) into the gender/race swapping discussion, I just saw that they're remaking Robin Hood. Jamie Foxx is playing Little John - apparently, they've made him a Moor in this version. Taron Egerton plays Robin Hood, I wonder if he's going through the same training for the build he had in the first Kingsmen movie. Just one quick shirtless clip in the teaser trailer I saw, difficult to tell.

Maid Marian's still a white woman ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great show, but also a beautifully shot one. Their DP is incredible.

If you've got a 4K HDR television, this is the show that will show it off.

Started the show a few days ago on my iPad in Honolulu and winging home. Watched another episode on the Sony 4K HDR last night and wow....when you’re right...you’re right!