Have You Ever Fired A Gun?

Avalon
This topic is 1330 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I was a boy in 6th grade. For a week went away to 6th Grade Camp. It was in the woods. There were lectures. We got to eat bugs. At night we sat around a fire and roasted marshmallows and told stories.

One day a fellow showed us how to shoot a rifle. We had get down on our stomachs and take several shots at a bullseye target. That's my only experience with a gun.

We slept in a bungalow. There were individual shower stalls. The counselors were 11th grade boys. One time the counselors opened the curtain to expose us.

It was co-ed. There were 11 in our group. 6 boys (including me) and 5 girls. Some days we got to choose our activities. The boys wanted to do things rough and tumble, the girls wanted to do things more gentille. I usually sided with the girls.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" ["Animal Farm"]

" ... my library was dukedom large enough" [Prospero - "The Tempest" Act 1, Scene 2]

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in a real area between Billerica and Bedford, Massachusetts. During hurting season everyone had to be careful to wear bright colors not associated with animal. Interesting. Has anyone else mentioning hunting before? For that reason alone guns are dangerous. (except to BSR).

Yes I fired a gun many times on a rifle range in basic training in the Army. It was fine but I have never fired a gun since I was discharged from the Army in 1969. And I also had my own rifle when I was deployed to Asia.

Edited by WilliamM

yes. i scared the shit out of everyone in the gun range. I was raised to always turn to look at someone when speaking to them or responding to them. First time i went to the range. I was aiming at the target when my dad said something, so i turned to face him.. gun in hand.. people diving all over the place. guy at the counted went oh shit and dived behind his counter. :p

.....gotta say it's a major rush to fire a powerful weapon........

I shot a friend's BB gun when I was a kid, and I think I may have pulled the trigger on a shotgun. I seem to recall the smell of gunpowder.

I didn't get much of a rush, but I did feel an extension of my personal power, what there was of it, some fifty feet beyond where it usually tapered off. I can see how someone who feels the need for a wider aura could become addicted to the borrowed power from a gun.

In fact, I expect that's one of the appeals of guns to folks who feel they don't have enough power of their own. It could give them a feeling of confidence and, perhaps, superiority that would help make up for any shortfall they usually feel.

When I look at ads for guns and especially for high-powered rifles, it seems that the advertiser is specifically targeting such feelings of inadequacy.

BushmasterAd-Maxim_0.jpg

Notice that these ads are not targeted to women.

If someone has actually propped up his "masculinity" this way, it would be an emotional bummer to think of getting by without it. It would also help explain the strong resistance of talk about "taking away our guns". Substitute the phrase "taking away our manhood" and you'd get an idea of the difficulty of convincing these folks that we'd be better off without so many lethal weapons in our society. And you'd get an insight as to why rational arguments fall on deaf ears, and why an effective campaign to reduce gun ownership would also have to acknowledge and deal with the macho-sapping loss that these folks would feel.

As with the phony "Second Amendment right" argument, this is a form of emotional manipulation that the gun manufacturers have engaged in for decades, and it won't be easy to undo.

But, in my opinion, it's part of the problem and must likewise be part of the solution.

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

I was in the National Guard and as part of my basic training learned how to shoot for the first time. I was taught the right way (military style) with an M16..I was really good and got a Marksman medal...I really enjoyed knocking those targets down. Of course all my fellow army guys in particular from the South made fun of me that I had never shot a gun before. By the end of basic training I was better than them. I have never had the reason nor the desire to shoot again.

When I was growing up, my dad and his brothers would go deer and elk hunting every year. They would show me all the movies and pictures they took of dead carcasses strapped over the hood of the jeep. Standing there so proud, like they had won some kind of war. Like it was ever a fair fight. Those images cured me of any desire to slaughter another living creature for sport. When I got older, I can't tell you how many times they wanted me to go with them. I remember once when I was twelve or thirteen, I was in the garage and my dad and his brothers were loading the motor-home to go to Colorado. My uncle kept trying to convince me to go, finally after me refusing for most of the afternoon, my uncle in frustration turned to my dad and said Leonard, I think you might have a sissy boy on your hands....:eek:...well, God rest his soul, he was right about that. :p

Edited by bigvalboy

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Both my grandfathers’ families had guns around allot, one of which hunted for food (squirrel, possum and the occasional deer). I was taught to shoot, though it never interested me. I had a 20-gauge shotgun and .22 rifle. My grandfather used to occasionally hunt boar with a .357, though that was really for sport.

I view a gun as a tool with a purpose - killing something.

You need a tool to get something to keep your belly full? Ok, that makes sense.

You need a tool capable of killing scores of humans in a big hurry? Crazy.

it's coming.

Yes. Our work group went on a one day retreat down by the Ohio River, near Lickskillet, Kentucky. For some peculiar reason, the boss brought along his rifle for us to shoot at passing objects in the river. It was sort of fun, and pointless.

Lickskillet also sounds pointless. So maybe it was a good fit. :rolleyes:

Yes. I bought a handgun when I moved to TN, after a home break-in. I pursued my carry permit and used to go to the range with friends. I came to a few conclusions:

• As @nycman has noted it is an enjoyable and expensive hobby.
  • I wouldn't feel confident carrying a loaded firearm in public. I can think of no situation where it would be useful, for me.
  • While you don't need a carry permit for a handgun within your own home I still don't think it would be a practical tool for home defense, for me.
  • Most of the people I met in carry permit classes are not the "I've been around guns since I was a child" type. There are an awful lot of people who had very little experience with handguns, but who passed the class since it is so damned easy. There a lots of people with carry permits and absolutely no handgun or armed defense skills. It scares me to think that these people believe they could protect the public against a criminal shooter -- particularly a shooter with an automatic rifle.

Edited by Nvr2Thick

I did it back in the 80s, when I was drafted for military service.

I never aimed on a living being, I never fantasized about killing anything.

I do remember the pleasure coming from feeling powerful when hitting my target. However, the danger carried by any gun rules out any chance of having such a hobby.

I do not want to live in a Far West movie. We can be better than that, if we want to.

My cousins and I learned to hunt when we were growing up... primarily ducks and pheasants during the designated hunting season. We were required to earn our gun safety certificate before we got our first gun which was either a 22 caliber rifle or a 28 gauge shut gun (both low powered hunting guns). It was the NRA that gave the gun safety training and issued the certificate. And it wasn't some simple application that you submitted to get certified. You had to attend classes, demonstrate safe use of a gun and pass a test. I also owned a BB gun which my parents took away when a neighbor kid "borrowed" it and shot his sister in the lip. The idea of using an automatic or semi-automatic rifle for hunting was unheard of and would have been considered very unsportsmanlike. I shot a couple rabbits, ducks and one pheasant before I gave up hunting. It wasn't all that enjoyable for me.

I know a policeman who has, in self-defense. He has nightmares.

My cousin is a cop - he shot and killed a fleeing suspect who was shooting at him while running away a few years ago. He was in therapy for a while and still has flashbacks and nightmares. When you take someone's life, even in self-defense, it weighs heavily on your psyche.

My cousin is a cop - he shot and killed a fleeing suspect who was shooting at him while running away a few years ago. He was in therapy for a while and still has flashbacks and nightmares. When you take someone's life, even in self-defense, it weighs heavily on your psyche.

Are the flashbacks and nightmares just from taking a man's life? If anyone ever fired several shots at me, that alone would give me nightmares.

My ignore list:  marylander1940, MiamiLooker, stevenkesslar

I never have, not that I have not had the urge. I actually do not understand the urge to hunt after creatures that have not done something substantial to you. I think it should be illegal in all circumstances. Culling of animals should be done be government employees whose sole purpose is to do that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Make America Sane Again