Japanese onsen

510guy
This topic is 943 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I visited 24 Kaikan last night and wow. I convinced a twink from Grindr to go with me. I knew I’d feel better with a buddy. We went in and caused quite a build up in whatever room we went into with our public shenanigans. At one point there were 7 engaged in lots of action. I really recommend it to anyone looking for a bit of adventure.

• 1 year later...

One tip is if you have tattoos, check out Tenzan Onsen in Hakone, which is a gorgeous hot springs town an hour outside of Shinjuku on the Romancecar train. There are zero restrictions on tattoos, and it's a gorgeous outdoor hot spring with multiple baths, looking out onto a forest. I've been twice with my boyfriend who has a sleeve and it was no issue.

Apparently the town of Kinosaki Onsen an hour or so out of Kyoto has 5+ local onsen and they've all decided as a town to remove tattoo restrictions so you can go from one to the other and not have to worry. I haven't been there but we're planning to go on our next trip.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 2:38 PM, EastbayMike said:

Don't get too ambitious but if you go to Hiroshima and have the time take the ferry to Miyajima for the day. Beautiful temples and good hiking.

The shinkasen from Osaka to Hiroshima includes a stop in Himeji. Well worth it to get off the train, ditch your luggage in a locker at the station, and walk up to the castle for a visit.

You might also consider spending a few nights in Koyosan up in the mountains east of Osaka. Very easy to get to by train. It's the center of Japanese Buddhism. Very scenic and again, filled with beautiful temples. Most visitors stay at temples staffed by Buddhist monks and students. You will have your own room but typically shared baths. Similar to a riyokan, you'll be served a multicourse dinner in your room and sleep on tatami mats. Most also have small onsens for bathing. One of my favorite spots in Japan.

Be sure to try the okonomiyaki in Osaka and in Hiroshima. Different styles but both delicious

Thanks for the suggestion.