Japanese onsen

510guy
This topic is 945 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So going to Japan next month. Interested in going to an onsen (bathhouse, springs) are they mostly older men in those? I have been to the "springs" in US which can be cruisy. Are they like that in Japan or are these such a way of life that being naked in front of others is no big deal.

Any good ones near Osaka or Tokyo anyone would recommend. Not interested in ones where men/women will be mixed.

Onsens are hot springs. You will find people of all ages in just about any onsen in Japan. They generally are not cruisy, because in Japan, there's a time and place for just about everything. People are generally just comfortable being naked. It's not uncommon for friends or even for men who work in the same company to take a trip to an onsen together and bathe together naked.

There is also what's called a sento. A sento is a public bath. These are also generally not cruisy. They're for bathing. You wash, then soak in hot water. They used to be ubiquitous, but there aren't as many anymore, since most people have a bath at home. They're still easy to find in Tokyo or Osaka, though. (Some sentos have all male clientele and older women working in the bath. And they have seen it all, and they don't care.) I like these, myself, and it's worth going to one or more.

If you want to go where the action is, try a Japanese sauna in Tokyo or Osaka. They have the same set-up as a sento that lets you wash and soak in hot water. They also have a steamroom, a sauna, and then common rooms where guys go to have sex and/or sleep (on bunk-beds!). Lots of guys go here when they miss the last train out of Tokyo to the burbs. These tend to be hit or miss. On weeknights, they can be dead. Friday and Saturday can be good, though no guarantees. When they are hopping, though, you can have a great time. Japanese guys are not always so welcoming of attention from foreigners, so bear that in mind. But they'll probably let you watch. ;) Other guys can be pretty persistent, which can get annoying. People tend to be very quiet, there's very little talking. You can also get a private room at many saunas. The one I liked best was 24 Kaikan in Shinjuku--it's a chain. One of the others (Ueno, I think) is more geared to bearish guys, and the one in Asakusa is for older guys and their admirers. In Osaka, Hokuoukan was fun.

A couple of other things: if you have tattoos, you'll have to cover them in many onsens and sentos. If they're too big to cover, they might not let you in, or they might freak out out when you disrobe. Tattoos have a yakuza/mafia connotation.

I'll look up some of the onsens and sentos around Tokyo and see if there are any I can recommend. Those might be more fun if you're traveling with someone, though.

You can PM me if you have other questions.

Ah, okay. I think of sentos as having more traffic than onsens, because onsens tend to be more spa-like or in resorts. Unless you're at an urban onsen in Tokyo, where there will be lots of people. You *can* go to 24 Kaikan and just take in the view in the bath, but others have nicer facilities. Do you know where in Tokyo you will be staying?

TimeOut Tokyo is a great resource for planning your trip, and they have helpful articles like this one: https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/health-and-beauty/top-10-tokyo-bath-houses. Any of these should be pretty good. I went to one in Oimachi at the Ours Inn hotel--surprisingly good, with seven or eight pools in indoor and outdoor areas, plus a salt scrub bath. It was fairly crowded. Quite a few good looking guys, too. Probably more on weekends, as you'd expect.

FurryDude gives a great summary of the sento/onsen scene in Tokyo. I've spent the night quite a few times at the 24 Kaikan in Shinjuku. It really is non-stop sex in the bunk rooms and wet areas on weekends. Japanese men seem to love to fuck! I've never seen so many tops in one place. Of the three 24 Kaikans in Tokyo, only the Shinjuku branch is active at night. The other two are more popular early to late afternoon on weekdays with an after work crowd.

I've also been to Spa LaQua and Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Tokyo. Of the two, I prefer Oedo Onsen Monogatari. It has nicer facilities and was more relaxing the times I've been there when compared to Spa LaQua. Depending on where you're staying in Tokyo, both can be difficult to get to. Very easy via transit (as is most of Tokyo), but a bit out of the way. However, both spas are in areas with other popular tourist attractions so you could make a half day out of a visit. Neither of them appear to be cruisy, they are very family oriented, guys bring their young sons with them and guys go in groups of friends to hang out and relax. But it's a great way to spend an afternoon relaxing in the pools and watching naked guys.

Also, keep in mind there is an etiquette you'll be expected to follow at the Onsen. The Japanese can still be wary of foreigners. Take off your shoes as soon as you enter. There are separate lockers for your shoes in all the facilities. Watch what the other folks are doing and follow their lead. It pays to be extra polite. After you strip down in the locker area, sit on a stool in front of one of the wash basins and scrub yourself clean for a good 10 minutes; be obvious about it. Don't wear a bathing suit and NEVER put a towel in any of the pools. As a big hairy white guy, I stand out at the onsen. Guys are going to look but mainly because they're curious, not because they're cruising. Don't walk around with your towel around your waist, you'll look like an idiot. The wet areas are segregated by sex but you'll be given a yukata (bathrobe) to wear when you want to go to the food and shopping areas that mixed.

In Osaka, Hokuoukan is similar to 24 Kaikan in Shinjuku. Weekends are best. Any yes, the older you are the more you pay but the difference is marginal. I spent the night once at Hokuoukan and was woken a few times by someone going down on me. There are other gay saunas in Osaka but I've only had fun at Hokuoukan.

The big (and I mean BIG) onsen is Osaka is Spa World. It's spread over a number of floors and is a bit cheesy and over the top (each floor has a different theme) but it is a lot of fun. Two of the floors are segregated by sex and they alternate each month. The place is open 24 hours and while very straight, it is also very cruisy, unlike the Tokyo onsen; especially late on Sundays. Don't be surprised if you see cleaning woman in the men's area while all the man are walking around naked. The Japanese are a lot more comfortable with nudity then Americans.

Kyoto still has quite a few of the old small sentos. They can be fun to visit and relax for an hour or so after spending the day being a tourist. Very old school. You'll likely be the only westerner there. There is also a larger onsen in Kyoto near the train station called Sauna Verde. It gets cruisy late at night but the facilities are a bit run down.

Thanks guys. I will be staying in the Shinjuku region in tokyo and namba in osaka. If I go alone to the spots may try those. But I have a friend traveling with me who has no interest in being naked in front of others but may try to get him to go to a place to relax to try them out. I honestly am not comfortable being naked but I will probably get used to it. I am Asian and no tatoo so I don't look like a foreigner

You should definitely try out one of the onsen either alone or with your friend. The naked thing may seen wierd at first but remember all the guys there will be naked as well in all the many ages, shapes, and sizes that we men come in.

From your handle I assume you're also an East Bay guy. If so, nice to see a neighbor on the board.

It's an all East Bay thread so far! Sort of. I'm a former denizen of the East Bay here. Can I ask why you're going to Osaka? If this is your first trip to Japan, you might find Kyoto more interesting than Osaka.

Good question. I am a foodie so I wanted to be near the street food off dotonburi and the night life. But using Osaka more as a base. Plan to take train out to Kyoto twice and venture into nara, kobe, and possibly hiroshima.

Don't get too ambitious but if you go to Hiroshima and have the time take the ferry to Miyajima for the day. Beautiful temples and good hiking.

The shinkasen from Osaka to Hiroshima includes a stop in Himeji. Well worth it to get off the train, ditch your luggage in a locker at the station, and walk up to the castle for a visit.

You might also consider spending a few nights in Koyosan up in the mountains east of Osaka. Very easy to get to by train. It's the center of Japanese Buddhism. Very scenic and again, filled with beautiful temples. Most visitors stay at temples staffed by Buddhist monks and students. You will have your own room but typically shared baths. Similar to a riyokan, you'll be served a multicourse dinner in your room and sleep on tatami mats. Most also have small onsens for bathing. One of my favorite spots in Japan.

Be sure to try the okonomiyaki in Osaka and in Hiroshima. Different styles but both delicious

PS. Looks like Sakura Season may come early to Japan this year. Not sure what you mean by going "next month" but fingers crossed that you hit the season peak!

Thanks for all the tips. We may be able to catch the cherry blossoms in Tokyo, looks like we are too early for Osaka.

Since you’re Asian it won’t be as big a deal for you, but others should be aware

the Japan can still be a very xenophobic society at times. It’s not unusual if a

Westerner enters a small gay bar and 1/2 (or all) the customers quietly leave.

I’ve had the same thing happen in onsens. Small sushi or ramen restaurants

can be a problem as well.

They won’t (at least in my experience) be openly rude, but they will quietly

shun you to the point that it’s clear you’re not welcome there. It is what it

is and it’s not worth getting upset about, I’d just do lots of homework ahead

of time to make sure the places you visit are welcoming to foreigners.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t let it stop you from enjoying Japan. In fact

there are just as many places in Japan that will welcome you with open arms

and some will even revel in the novelty of having a Western guest in their

establishment. Just know that many will not.

I am sure you know but if not make sure to get a JR Rail Pass and a Japanese SIM card. Since you say your a foodie and I am not sure where in Osaka you are staying but check out Abeno Q's Mall supermarket or Aeon Mall supermarket. They are a foodie paradise they have almost everything and exotic animals as well. G.U. has for inexpensive clothing and Jins has cheap but great pair of eyeglasses. If your traveling to Kyoto make sure to check out Nishiki market.

If you never been just make sure to brush up on their etiquette and customs. It the smalls things like dont go into the women's only cab of the train, don't cross the street when it says not to cross, and don't talk loud on the train. When climbing up stairs stay on your left and descend on your right. On escalators you stand on the left and walk on the right except in Kansai region you do the opposite.

I am sure you know but if not make sure to get a JR Rail Pass and a Japanese SIM card. Since you say your a foodie and I am not sure where in Osaka you are staying but check out Abeno Q's Mall supermarket or Aeon Mall supermarket. They are a foodie paradise they have almost everything and exotic animals as well. G.U. has for inexpensive clothing and Jins has cheap but great pair of eyeglasses. If your traveling to Kyoto make sure to check out Nishiki market.

If you never been just make sure to brush up on their etiquette and customs. It the smalls things like dont go into the women's only cab of the train, don't cross the street when it says not to cross, and don't talk loud on the train. When climbing up stairs stay on your left and descend on your right. On escalators you stand on the left and walk on the right except in Kansai region you do the opposite.

Thanks for the tips. A couple of places I plan to go, some I never heard of so I will add to my list. I plan to get a pocket Wi-Fi rather than international sim. Yup, JR rail pass is the plan. It is amazing how many little cultural nuances there are including don't walk and eat, very little trash cans but also very little littering.

Keep in mind the JR Pass can't be used on Nozomi express trains. I'm a big rail geek and taking the Nozomi is always one of the things I most look forward to when I go to Japan. I've never purchased a JR Pass for that reason.

You probably already know to get a Suica card. They're indispensible and I highly reccomend getting one with your rail pass.

Keep in mind the JR Pass can't be used on Nozomi express trains. I'm a big rail geek and taking the Nozomi is always one of the things I most look forward to when I go to Japan.

Then I am guessing you have visited the Rail Car Museum in Yokohama?

I plan to get a pocket Wi-Fi rather than international sim. Yup, JR rail pass is the plan. It is amazing how many little cultural nuances there are including don't walk and eat, very little trash cans but also very little littering.

I was thinking of doing the same thing and get a pocket wi-fi when I go S. Korea. I didn't bother with doing it in Japan because there are a truck load of free wi-fi spots. Hope you have a great vacation and good luck with the onsens.

Since you’re Asian it won’t be as big a deal for you, but others should be aware

the Japan can still be a very xenophobic society at times. It’s not unusual if a

Westerner enters a small gay bar and 1/2 (or all) the customers quietly leave.

I’ve had the same thing happen in onsens

Or, in other words, how white guys treat Asian guys at Korean spas in the States. But I doubt that's xenophobia.

Back on topic, Kyoto is beautiful!

I've been to the Railway Museum in Saitama north of Tokyo and the Kyoto Railway Museum but never the one in Yokohama. Thanks for the tip!

There's also a noodle museum in Yokohama where you can sample Udon, ramen, soba and other types from all over the country. A nice place to go after you've taken care of the needs of the noodle between your legs. ;)

• 1 month later...

So sitting in my room in Tokyo. For future reference if anyone looks up this thread. Did not go to a real onsen but more a spa/bath.

In Osaka there is Spa World which has a europeEu and Asian style themes. It alternates by month which gender uses which. But I did not go.

In Japan specifically Shinjuku there is Thermae Yu. I went last night and enjoyed it. I expected a bunch of older men but there were quite a bit of 20 something in there. Never seen so many asian dicks. It was a but surprising how freely they walked around. I am not one to be naked in front of others but after 5 minutes I didn't really care. I guess nudity among friends is different in Japan. I know none of my friends would dare be naked among each other.