Space Junk

Chuckball

This topic is 1349 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is anyone else concerned that a multi-millionaire can deliver his roadster into orbit for no scientific purpose - just because he can afford to do so? I heard a report recently that laser technology is being developed to remove pieces of debris that have accumulated since space exploration has been a reality. Fortunately, here on earth littering now rightly deserves a negative stigma. Why can rich men avoid criticism and indeed brag for polluting the space above us?

Without knowing in detail what he has done there is no way of knowing whether his roadster will become space junk. The gimmick of launching it is all I've seen, nothing about where to beyond blast-off. Unless it is boosted into a stable orbit it will fall back towards earth and burn up on re-entry into the atmosphere.

Is anyone else concerned that a multi-millionaire can deliver his roadster into orbit for no scientific purpose - just because he can afford to do so? I heard a report recently that laser technology is being developed to remove pieces of debris that have accumulated since space exploration has been a reality. Fortunately, here on earth littering now rightly deserves a negative stigma. Why can rich men avoid criticism and indeed brag for polluting the space above us?

While testing a new impressive rocket booster, so no doesn’t bother me

From Newsweek this morning:

Right now, a bright red sports car is careering through space on a journey that has taken it from Florida out into space, where it will travel beyond Mars and toward the Asteroid Belt. The whimsical payload of yesterday’s SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch, CEO Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadster, is hoped to fly through space for a billion years or so.

Unfortunately for Musk, radiation from the sun and a barrage of space junk might make that dream impossible. According to Indiana University chemist William Carroll, the car may not even make it through a single year, LiveScience reports.

Multi-millionaire? Tsk-Tsk. Try billionaire, thank you very much. And maybe the money for the car could have gone to feeding some poor people.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Make America Sane Again