Nathan Chen

LoveNDino
This topic is 805 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

How does the scoring work if landing six quads only results in the fifth best score ever in the long program?

I'm pretty sure that Nathan's free skate score is an Olympic record. Nathan placed first in the free skate (long program), almost nine points higher than #2 in the free skate Yuzuru Hanyu (215.08 vs. 206.17). But Nathan ended up only fifth overall because his short program score was a dismal 82.27, which put him in 17th place after the short. Hanyu's short program score was 111.68, and three other skaters each scored more than 100. Nathan was just too far behind to catch up.

I'm pretty sure that Nathan's free skate score is an Olympic record. Nathan placed first in the free skate (long program), almost nine points higher than #2 in the free skate Yuzuru Hanyu (215.08 vs. 206.17). But Nathan ended up only fifth overall because his short program score was a dismal 82.27, which put him in 17th place after the short. Hanyu's short program score was 111.68, and three other skaters each scored more than 100. Nathan was just too far behind to catch up.

While an Olympic record, I think it was Terry Gannon (P.S. why aren't we discussing how hot he is?) who stated the score was not a world record, but the fifth highest in skating history.

There is an old figure skating trope- You cannot win a competition with a good short program, but you can lose a competition with bad short program. That's what happened to Nathan.

Nathan's technical score was astounding, and that was with the hand down on the second quad flip.

He has the potential to score even higher if he tries a quad loop (very taxing on the hips) or upgrades his combinations to include harder jumps.

His second mark isn't there yet -- he doesn't have the skating skills of Patrick Chan not the performance ability or Yuzuru Hanyu or Javier Fernandez. Let's see how Worlds goes.

C

Nathan's technical score was astounding, and that was with the hand down on the second quad flip.

He has the potential to score even higher if he tries a quad loop (very taxing on the hips) or upgrades his combinations to include harder jumps.

His second mark isn't there yet -- he doesn't have the skating skills of Patrick Chan not the performance ability or Yuzuru Hanyu or Javier Fernandez. Let's see how Worlds goes.

Chan is 27, Hanyu is 23, Fernandez is 26.

Chen is 18. Let’s see how he grows.

Yuzuru Hanyu read my mind, he's going for a quad axel now <333

“I have achieved what I set out to do and I have no intention of retiring,” he said, according to Kyodo News. “Whenever I think about whether I would like to do something else outside skating, it is skating that I always come back to."

“I think I have devoted myself to skating from the bottom of my heart, and I want to do that for a little longer. I want to try a quadruple Axel and that is my only motivation right now."

Also, this vid is adorable: https://www.nbcolympics.com/video/yuzuru-hanyu-breaks-down-after-free-skate-routine?chrcontext=newsfeed

it's astounding how Hanyu seems to be such an amazingly down-to-earth, nice guy. He invited Uno and Fernandez onto the top step with him at the medal ceremony.

It will be interesting to see how Chen and Zhou mature and progress. They both would seem to have a lot of potential for the next Olympics if they can stay healthy and motivated

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Who picks their music? Seriously, it's a head-scratcher for me. Ultimately it boils down too.i the judges still si wouldn't they pick something that would appeal to everyone? A famous piece known world-wide? Nathan's not so bad with the Elton John selection but still borders into that acquired taste category.

Oh, and Nathan needs to use a lip balm or something. Watched his recent performance on YouTube and his lips were so chapped when they showed his face up close. One of my biggest pet peeves is kissing lips that feel like the bark of a tree.

Who picks their music? Seriously, it's a head-scratcher for me. Ultimately it boils down too.i the judges still si wouldn't they pick something that would appeal to everyone? A famous piece known world-wide? Nathan's not so bad with the Elton John selection but still borders into that acquired taste category.

Oh, and Nathan needs to use a lip balm or something. Watched his recent performance on YouTube and his lips were so chapped when they showed his face up close. One of my biggest pet peeves is kissing lips that feel like the bark of a tree.

By the time I got to his lips they would be like hot pie. :D

• 9 months later...

Gaaaah! So excited to see this thread.

I have been amazed at how dominant he's become since Worlds 2018. He has also matured athletically and artistically every year, trying different genres in each season. Looking at his current free skate and some random practice videos, it would be cool if he could pull of this layout

4F3T 4Lo 4Lz 4S 4T1Eu3F 4T3T 4A - had not seen him land that 4Lo till the recent invitational, and he does not look all that far off on his 4A attempt.

Edited by JoeMendoza

2019 Grand Prix Final FS - showcased the following: 4F3T, 4Lz, 4F1Eu3S, 3A, 4S, 4T, 3Lz3T [led overall by ~44 points]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p9z5LQdMoI

2017 and 2020 Quad Loops

Quad Axel Attempts - Yuzuru Hanyu (top) and Nathan Chen (bottom) - positions are of the clip not you know...;)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=TheSkatingLesson/posts/3246237228831556

you don't think tiny little Hanyu is a top?

I would not dare imply that Hanyu is not or cannot be a top. ?

width=538pxhttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/ae/d2/cb/aed2cb270783dbd70f493552b1647721.jpg[/img]width=453pxhttps://i.pinimg.com/736x/2d/dc/50/2ddc5039c403855c664821acdebc80f6.jpg[/img]

width=986pxhttps://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/04/03/20170403hpe00m0na006000q/9.jpg?1[/img]