Nathan Chen

LoveNDino
This topic is 799 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At Nationals in 2015, Adam did the quad Lutz without falling on his cute bubble butt.

Hey...it was almost a rhyme... ;)

T

Rippon starts his free skate with the most difficult jump in the sport, the quad lutz (no one has landed a quad axel in competition yet), but never ever lands it clean. Maybe he's managed to hold on & stay on his skates somehow (two-foot landing, under-rotation, spin-out), but I've only see him fall in the attempt. I wonder if that's his way of telling himself that he belongs with the big boys ("yeah, I start with a quad lutz"), never mind the eensy-weensy detail that he falls every single time.

I agree that quads are very much a matter of finesse, balance, and strength. No, you don't need huge legs. If anything, huge legs just weigh you down, which handicaps your jumps. I would add that you also need a good ratio of fast-twitch muscle fiber (like sprinters & NBA slam-dunkers) as opposed to the slow-twitch muscles of marathon runners. Of course, a high percentage of fast-twitch doesn't translate to particularly developed or large legs. Novak Djokovic is one of the fastest men in tennis, yet his legs are pretty slim.

Yeah yeah yeah...we all know Adam Rippon might crack the top 12 if he really brings it. But...doesn't SOMEBODY have to be eighth? Tenth? Twelfth? The US men haven't had two potential medal contenders at the Olympics for...?

So...let's let the fiery flamer with the gorgeous hair and perfect teeth have his chance.

T

Many skaters do struggle with the triple axel, but of the Big Six (Chan, Chen, Fernandez, Hanyu, Jin, Uno - the top contenders for the Olympic podium according to conventional wisdom, whatever that's worth) only Nathan really struggles with it. When was the last time he landed a perfectly clean 3A in competition? The difference between the triple and double axel is 5.2 points (8.5 vs. 3.3 on the ISU website), so a difference of 10.4 for the two programs. In both the short and free skate, an axel jump is compulsory, but it can be either a double or a triple. If Nathan plays it safe and opts to do doubles in both programs, he can make up the deficit by doing a quad lutz in both programs. I don't know why he opted out of the quad lutz at Nationals considering that it's been a pretty solid jump for him in the past. The problem with ditching the triple axel is that Nathan can probably win a medal without it, but winning gold will be very tough, and of course Nathan wants to go for the gold.

I can't believe how much Nathan has improved his PCS in just a year. The difference between his skating at the 2017 US Nationals and the 2018 Nationals is amazing. He got a decent bump in his scores: 2017 short/free PCS were 44.32/91.00, 2018 short/free PCS were 46.54/94.92. But the scores fall far short of telling the whole story. His improvement in posture, positions, and body lines can't be quantified.

The competition in Pyeongyang will be killer. The men's short is next Thursday, Feb 15, with the free skate the next day. I'm already defecating a brick :eek:

PS: Rippon's chances of winning a medal are about the same as my chances of getting a date with Ricky Martin :rolleyes:

At Nationals in 2015, Adam did the quad Lutz without falling on his cute bubble butt.

Hey...it was almost a rhyme... ;)

T

He attempted a quad lutz and managed to land the jump, but it wasn't a quad. The judges gave him credit for only a triple lutz and even dinged him 1.10 on the GOE (grade of execution) because the jump was under-rotated. If you look at the following video, he completes the last half-revolution on the ice. Skip to 6:05 in the video for a slow-motion of the "quad" lutz.

Edited by BSR

Wow he sure blew it in the team short. Hope he learned something for the men's competition. Nerves can ruin it for you.

Wow, he popped the quad toe, what is actually a relatively easy jump for Nathan. I don't know what happened exactly, but I'm guessing that yeah, it had to be nerves.

A little bobble knocks ANYONE off the podium, y'all.

If any of yinz want another looker to ogle, don't forget Javier. Eyes and brows for days!

T

I have such a crush on Javier Fernandez. I used to be a pretty die-hard figure skating fan until baseball & tennis took over my sporting passions. But once I spotted Javi, holy smokes! Those big brown eyes, that goofy, boyish grin *swoon*

Here's a 1-minute video with (far too) brief glimpses of Javi with his shirt off. Of course, he has a very slim torso, not an ounce of bodyfat, but he is super-cut. You can also check out his goofy, boyish grin at the very end of the video.

Nate completely choked last night. The good thing for him is that it happened in the Team competition... still got plenty of time to get his shit together before the individual event starts...

Shona Uno was good, but I honestly wasn't impressed with anyone. Hoping the individual FS doesn't become a shitfest where all top 6 skaters choke & perform horribly like 4 years ago. That event became an embarrassment for everyone involved.

Edited by Corporate Shill

Comparing Adam with Nathan is like comparing apples and oranges. Frankly I prefer Nathan as he’s more masculine though I’m not really sure he’s gay. On the other hand, Adam doesn’t even have to move or open his mouth and I can tell right away. They’re both beautiful in their own rights. It’s just a matter of preference. I’m still deciding who’s more flamboyant- Adam or Johnny Weir?

Yep. Here's her whole program from the Olympics in 88. Doing the backflip was nearly an automatic loss for Bonaly, but she didn't give a shit.

... She had the crowd :)

Bonaly was robbed so many times but she would’ve won so many competition in this new scoring system which rewards technicality over artistry. But I think she was more artistic than some that were placed above her in my opinion.

I love Surya but she would've been hosed in program components, specifically skating skills. She would not win titles without those.

Just wait til you see her countryman, Guillame Cizeron, in his sleeveless shirt tomorrow.

I think Nathan is handsomer than Adam, who looks like any generic Wehovian. Alex Shibutani is also another handsome Asian American skater.

Other lookers are the aforementioned Javier Fernandez, Canada's Eric Radford (openly gay), Matteo Guarise (male model) and Morgan Cipres.

On the women’s side, I’m really hoping the Americans can keep it together. Of all skaters, they’re the ones who can really put up a challenge against the Russian women. I was hoping Yuna Kim would make a surprise come back just to drop the mic on the Russians but it’s probably not going to happen. I atill think she was robbed in Sochi.

On the women’s side, I’m really hoping the Americans can keep it together. Of all skaters, they’re the ones who can really put up a challenge against the Russian women. I was hoping Yuna Kim would make a surprise come back just to drop the mic on the Russians but it’s probably not going to happen. I atill think she was robbed in Sochi.

She honestly wasn't. Lost gold because she played it safe &, frankly, boring. Safe @ the Olympics shouldn't be encouraged. Adelina Sotnikova earned her win by skating a much more difficult program with only that one minor mistake that everyone online blew up into something huge when it really wasn't. I personally always love it when hungry bitches like Tara, Sarah, & her come out of nowhere to steal gold from the media darlings. <3

Our current American girls, unfortunately, suck compared to the Asians & the Russians. We haven't had a real contender for gold since like Sasha Cohen :/

She honestly wasn't. Lost gold because she played it safe &, frankly, boring. Safe @ the Olympics shouldn't be encouraged. Adelina Sotnikova earned her win by skating a much more difficult program with only that one minor mistake that everyone online blew up into something huge when it really wasn't. I personally always love it when hungry bitches like Tara, Sarah, & her come out of nowhere to steal gold from the media darlings. <3

Our current American girls, unfortunately, suck compared to the Asians & the Russians. We haven't had a real contender for gold since like Sasha Cohen :/

I believe it’s called the Michelle Kwan Rule - play it safe and you get the silver.

I was thinking at one point that she should’ve done a true Beilman spin or raised her arm in one of the jumps.

I think Karen Chen is complete enough of a package to contend, if she doesn’t get knocked down for under rotation. The Japanese are a strong contender as well but they too have that under rotation issues. They should hire Russian coaches to help them with the jumps

Johnny Weir was giving commentary to the short women's program (at least that is what I saw) this evening and although he could be interesting what the fuck was he wearing? It looked like something stolen off Queen Victoria.

I enjoy Johnny and Tara's commentary, however Johnny has released his inner Drag Queen in a fashion that is quite alarming. Beyond the sequined jackets and make-up, tonight he looked as if he had a black cat curled up atop his head.

Still it's not as bad as Rio where he was shown full figure in broad daylight wearing women's high heel boots, a shear blouse, and a large Prada handbag. I harbor a perverse hope that he will get to meet the Vice-President.

I enjoy Johnny and Tara's commentary, however Johnny has released his inner Drag Queen in a fashion that is quite alarming. Beyond the sequined jackets and make-up, tonight he looked as if he had a black cat curled up atop his head.

Still it's not as bad as Rio where he was shown full figure in broad daylight wearing women's high heel boots, a shear blouse, and a large Prada handbag. I harbor a perverse hope that he will get to meet the Vice-President.

LOL. Yes, their commentary is informative and very specific. But I agree. I am not sure where the do came from and I have to admit he did dress up for the event. If he does get to meet Pence, I hope he holds his lace gloved hand out as if he is expecting it to be kissed.