Indonesia declares homosexuality a 'mental disorder'

Avalon

This topic is 1351 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

While I certainly deplore this action - its interesting. I spend quite a bit of time in Indonesia and find it to be a very moderate society.

However there are pockets of Indonesia like Banda Aceh which are very strict Muslim and follow Sharia Law.

I spend most of my Indonesian time in Bali which is an island with 90% of the population as Hindu - the rest is a mix of Christian and Muslim.

Indonesia is a total double standard, in Bali there are gay bars, gay massage venues, gay saunas, and certainly lots of men looking for sex online - how many are gay and how many are just maybe gay for pay I don't know. I do know that most Balinese gay men either live in the closet and get married to solve the family pressure situation - or move to Jakarta and live pretty open lives. In Bali most of the gay men you meet are from somewhere else, Sumatra, Java or Papua. They are doing the same as their Balinese brothers - escaping family and living a more honest lifestyle. Some are working in the sex industy - others in hospitality.

Be interesting to see where this leads ...