Alan Cumming's New TV Show "Instinct"

LoveNDino
This topic is 2105 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wait, is the convention in the US to hold the fork with the right hand?

Also it wouldn't be an imitation since he is British.

Right, since most people are right handed in America most hold the fork in the right hand while eating. If something needs to be cut up they will switch the fork to the left hand and use the knife in the right hand but then to resume eating will put the fork back in the right hand.

I've noticed that most Brits keep the fork in the left hand while eating.

Right, since most people are right handed in America most hold the fork in the right hand while eating. If something needs to be cut up they will switch the fork to the left hand and use the knife in the right hand but then to resume eating will put the fork back in the right hand.

I've noticed that most Brits keep the fork in the left hand while eating.

We do, and most of us are right handed too, so I don't think it follows that being right handed dictates that one should hold a fork in the right hand. I just read about the 'zig-zag technique' you describe. Not to be a cultural chauvinist, but it sounds insane to me. I also asked my American husband if he does it and, if so, how I managed to miss that in ten years of knowing him. Thankfully it turns out he doesn't do it. I don't think his family do either.

We do, and most of us are right handed too, so I don't think it follows that being right handed dictates that one should hold a fork in the right hand. I just read about the 'zig-zag technique' you describe. Not to be a cultural chauvinist, but it sounds insane to me. I also asked my American husband if he does it and, if so, how I managed to miss that in ten years of knowing him. Thankfully it turns out he doesn't do it. I don't think his family do either.

It is just something I've noticed over the years. I had not heard it referred to as "zig-zag technique". Thanks!

It is just something I've noticed over the years. I had not heard it referred to as "zig-zag technique". Thanks!

I took that from Wikipedia. Supposedly the technique I use (fork always in the left hand when a knife is necessary, but transferred to the right hand if needed as a scoop) is becoming more common in America now. The more you know...

Sorry for derailing the thread into utensil etiquette. :)

Sorry for derailing the thread into utensil etiquette. :)

And sorry to continue it (not really).

Here it is standard practice to hold the knife in your right hand and fork in your left (some left handers reverse them so using the knife to cut is easier). You hold both (or neither) the whole time. It's bad form to switch your fork to your right hand, it's also bad form to invert it and use it like a spoon in your left hand. (You use your fork with the prongs pointed down and either spear the food or use your knife to push it onto the fork (or both). The exception is that if the food needs no cutting on the plate, the whole course can be eaten with the fork prongs-up in the right hand.)

• 1 month later...

I am going to have to watch a few episodes to pass judgment. The first one was OK. I can understand but way too much exposition about the characters while you have very complicated plots going on. In my estimation, the writers could have introduced some of the qualities of the main characters and kept some of the background for further episodes so that you stay interested in them. I liked the lead female actor and character. While some of the situations were funny, I did not find him all that humorous. Perhaps that will be further developed. At any rate I certainly will see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw tonight's episode and those "piano sticks" I was reminded of an episode of "Bones" about a boy who left his religious community. The stories were different except at the end of both, the detectives gave them a video of his piano playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Club Cumming’s love for live music is being investigated by the New York State Liquor Authority.

The club founded by actor Alan Cumming is under the watchful eye of the SLA for “not complying” with the original license it was granted upon opening in the fall of 2017.

“Club Cumming applied as a bar with no live music or DJs,” an SLA representative told Page Six on Wednesday. “The SLA opened an investigation after receiving complaints from the local Community Board that the licensee was not complying and charged the bar with failure to conform on February 23, 2018. Club Cumming can submit an application to change their method of operation to allow for live music/DJs.”

When reached for comment, promoter and partner at the East Village venue Daniel Nardicio acknowledged the error.

“Due to rookie mistakes Alan and I didn’t apply to have live music, but we feel this is just an oversight,” he told Page Six in a statement on Thursday. “When the Community Board sees just how much Club Cumming brings to the area culturally, we’re pretty confident they’ll ok the change of method of operation.”

Referring to the club as a “forefront of an even larger movement to legitimize and honor NYC Nightlife, Music and Arts,” Nardicio touted appearances by Paul McCartney and Emma Stone at the hot spot, adding that “because of the fact that Club Cumming has no record of issues with the police, or calls to 311 about noise, and because of the overwhelming support we’ve been getting from our actual neighbors, we cannot foresee any problems with this slight bureaucratic change to our method of operations.”

They will be meeting with the Community Board in the “near future,” he said. Club Cumming occupies what had been the space of Eastern Bloc for 12 years.

On social media, Tony-winning Cumming has reached out to locals to sign a petition in an effort toward granting permission for live music acts — such as performer Amanda Lepore, who took the stage Tuesday night — and DJs in the club.

“Do you live within a two block radius of @clubcumming? If so PLEASE come in and sign our petition to help us keep live music and DJs happening in the bar every night,” the “Instinct” star pleaded on Instagram on Tuesday. “We need to convince the State Liquor Authority to do so and we need the signature of as many local residents as possible. We hope we are an asset to the community and we are asking you to help us stay one.”

So far, they’ve garnered over 100 signatures with over a month left to get the number required.

“We feel good about this, and look forward to working with our local community board to resolve this so we can continue our work at Club Cumming,” Nardicio said.

• 2 months later...