Philippine Police Drug War: Killing Dozens

WilliamM

This topic is 1351 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Of course no strong negative reaction so far from the Trump Administration Note: My dad served in the Army in The Philippines until early summer 1946.

Asia Pacific

Philippine Police Resume War on Drugs, Killing Dozens

By FELIPE VILLAMORFEB. 2, 2018

Photo

03philippines-1sub-master768.jpg

The body of a person suspected of using drugs who was killed by the police in Manila in August. Estimates vary as to the total number who have died in President Rodrigo Duterte’s drug war, which began in 2017. Credit Erik De Castro/Reuters

MANILA — Nearly 50 people suspected of using and selling drugs were killed by officers in the past two months, the Philippine National Police said on Friday, contradicting earlier pronouncements that the government’s war on drugs would become less deadly.

The figure was the first released since President Rodrigo Duterte reactivated the police in December as the country’s lead agency in carrying out a no-holds-barred crackdown on illegal narcotics.

Between Dec. 5, 2017 — when the police took part in an operation named Double Barrels Reloaded — and Thursday, officers conducted 3,253 raids, leading to the arrests of an unnamed number of “high-value targets” and the deaths of 46 people, the police said in a statement.

Mr. Duterte temporarily placed the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in charge of the drug war last year after police officers were found to have killed three teenagers and then lied about how the boys died. News of their deaths prompted protests and a Senate investigation.

The exact number of people killed since Mr. Duterte’s drug war took effect in 2017 is unknown. The government says fewer than 4,000 suspects have been killed, but Human Rights Watch last week estimated the figure at more than 12,000.

The police do not count among the dead the hundreds of victims killed nightly, in attacks the dealers.government attributes to vigilante groups. Those victims are often found with cardboard signs around their necks indicating that they were drug users or

The government has strenuously rejected the death toll as estimated by Human Rights Watch, and has demanded the organization issue an apology.

“To make such sweeping accusations without being able to support these claims with facts is not just misrepresentation,” Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said last week. “It is outright deception.”

A representative of Human Rights Watch defended the organization’s estimate.

“By any measure, even the P.N.P.’s estimate of drug war deaths is an alarming number of killings that warrant an independent investigation,” said Phelim Kine, the group’s deputy director for Asia, referring to the Philippine National Police.

Mr. Kine added that the “glaring disparity” between the official death toll and those of independent observers underscored the need for the government to allow a United Nations-led investigation.

Mr. Duterte has condemned the United Nations, the United States and the European Union for their criticism of his antidrug campaign.

In a conference call with reporters on Tuesday, James Walsh, a State Department official overseeing American policy on international narcotics and law enforcement, said he was guardedly optimistic that Mr. Duterte’s government would reduce the number of extrajudicial killings.

“There is some encouragement that we are seeing some of our human rights training working,” Mr. Walsh said. “And so I would describe the United States as being cautiously optimistic in the trends when it comes to the appropriate way for a drug campaign.”

Edited by WilliamM

I know a lot of friends back home who are horrified that Mr. Duterte won. Even more horrified at the brazen human rights abuses being committed in the name of law and order - and this is a country that survived Martial Law for almost 16 years under Mr. Marcos.

It may not speak well of my country of origin, but he remains inexplicably (to me) popular.

I know a lot of friends back home who are horrified that Mr. Duterte won. Even more horrified at the brazen human rights abuses being committed in the name of law and order - and this is a country that survived Martial Law for almost 16 years under Mr. Marcos.

It may not speak well of my country of origin, but he remains inexplicably (to me) popular.

Same way how Trump is popular with his base here in the US. People are tired of the political institutions so they latch on to someone different. People just want to be heard, in Trump’s case for the wrong reasons.

I was pleasantly surprised at the increase in my first pay for the year. I can only imagine how big of an increase those at the top 1% received. Are they going to hold on to it? Or will they pump that back into the economy? The Republicans have this idea that it will somehow trickle down by giving the rich more money. Most of the rich I know don’t believe the idea of trickling down. They prefer to hoard. Nothing is ever enough particularly when it comes to money.

Anyway, going back to Duterte. He’s delusional. Has he done anything to improve the country? Nope. He’s so focused on this war on drugs that he’s failing on everything else. He thinks he’s doing “God’s” work. The church needs to be weeded out of the country before it can improve socially and economically. The church has way too much control there.

Duterte is an authoritarian role model for Trump.

Yes they have a lot of things in common but Duterte reminds me of the 1980 war on drugs, obviously on crack and in the inner cities only.

Since populism took over the Republican party they started feeling sorry about the left behind, the drug addicts from the solid red states of the country and they stop calling them: poor of spirit, weak, lazy, etc.

20151003_USM943_0.png

Liberal, born and raised in Maryland, proud member of pink pistols!

Ignore list: WilliamM

Same way how Trump is popular with his base here in the US. People are tired of the political institutions so they latch on to someone different. People just want to be heard, in Trump’s case for the wrong reasons.

I was pleasantly surprised at the increase in my first pay for the year. I can only imagine how big of an increase those at the top 1% received. Are they going to hold on to it? Or will they pump that back into the economy? The Republicans have this idea that it will somehow trickle down by giving the rich more money. Most of the rich I know don’t believe the idea of trickling down. They prefer to hoard. Nothing is ever enough particularly when it comes to money.

Anyway, going back to Duterte. He’s delusional. Has he done anything to improve the country? Nope. He’s so focused on this war on drugs that he’s failing on everything else. He thinks he’s doing “God’s” work. The church needs to be weeded out of the country before it can improve socially and economically. The church has way too much control there.

I'm always baffled by the leftist rejection of trickle-down economics. Do you really believe that rich people just hoard their money? What do these "hoarders" do, fill big pits with cash and then roll around in the $millions like Scrooge McDuck?? No, the rich put their money in T-bills (not so much anymore because they pay almost nothing), banks (also almost zero interest), venture capital funds, real estate, the stock market, etc. In other words, they invest their money in the American economy, where it is used to make more money.

Back on topic, as for Duterte, he reminds me of how the communist government in China dealt with widespread opium addiction. They just started shooting dealers and addicts - left, right, and center. Such Draconian measures are not surprising in a repressive communist regime, but they are shocking to see in what is supposedly a free democratic state.

My ignore list:  marylander1940, MiamiLooker, stevenkesslar

I just hope @WilliamM and @GregM didn't endorse the trickle down economics of Reagan and W that almost bankrupt our countries and they only clicked "like" because of the last part of that comment.

One more thing I think most didn't feel compassionate/sorry about the crack epidemic in the 80's because of the skin color of the consumers...

I’ve attempted to make the exact same point before o_O

Do you really believe that rich people just hoard their money? What do these "hoarders" do, fill big pits with cash and then roll around in the $millions like Scrooge McDuck?? No, the rich put their money in T-bills (not so much anymore because they pay almost nothing), banks (also almost zero interest), venture capital funds, real estate, the stock market, etc. In other words, they invest their money in the American economy, where it is used to make more money.

I just hope @WilliamM and @GregM didn't endorse the trickle down economics of Reagan and W that almost bankrupt our countries and they only clicked "like" because of the last part of that comment.

This is the second time you have mentioned me by name recently. Strange. I thought (perhaps incorrectly) we were friends in the Gallery Forum.

This is the second time you have mentioned me by name recently. Strange. I thought (perhaps incorrectly) we were friends in the Gallery Forum.

I don't think I did it in an offensive way.

I was taken aback by you "liking" such statement from someone who is beyond clownish.

We're still friends!