Stanford University Unofficial Mascot Is A Tree

Avalon
This topic is 2276 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Tree is the mascot of the Leland Stanford Junior (pause) University Marching Band. The university has no mascot.

Kevin Slater

Class of '92

Not to be OVERLY-Snarky dear alum === But why is a large fixed object the mascot for a "Marching" Band?

I did read the Wiki --- and I think I would have gone along with the "Robber Barons'" Any inside dirt or peat moss that you can share Kevin?

Not to be OVERLY-Snarky dear alum === But why is a large fixed object the mascot for a "Marching" Band?

The Tree has legs.

http://images.thepostgame.com/sites/default/files/Stanford-Tree-Mascot-Monday.jpg

I would have gone along with the "Robber Barons'" Any inside dirt or peat moss that you can share Kevin?

As would I. In brief, Leland Stanford Senior was part of the Big Four who build the first transcontinental railroad, ahem, allegedly swindling the federal government in doing so.

When the university dropped the Fighting Indians mascot and polled the student body, the Stanford Robber Barons was by far the favorite. He closely resembled Rich Uncle Pennybags of Monopoly fame. The university declined and has been without a mascot ever since.

642443-monopoly.jpg

Kevin Slater