Laos

Avalon
This topic is 2274 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yes, I was in Laos in March 2016. Vientiane and Luang Prabang. Really enjoyed the trip. People were lovely and the food is excellent! There's a killer, spicy condiment called jaew - it's nuclear.

Enjoyed Luang Prabang more than Vientiane. The temples and monasteries are beautiful. Great trek through the jungle. Also great for biking. I just wish it hadn't been so crazy hot. It was a 100 plus every day and humid. So I'd check out options for cooler times of the year (but avoid rainy season).

Hit me up if you have questions.

Yes, I was in Laos in March 2016. Vientiane and Luang Prabang. Really enjoyed the trip. People were lovely and the food is excellent! There's a killer, spicy condiment called jaew - it's nuclear.

Enjoyed Luang Prabang more than Vientiane. The temples and monasteries are beautiful. Great trek through the jungle. Also great for biking. I just wish it hadn't been so crazy hot. It was a 100 plus every day and humid. So I'd check out options for cooler times of the year (but avoid rainy season).

Hit me up if you have questions.

I thought it was dangerous for gays to visit a Communist country.

I've been to Vietnam (Viet Nam) twice, which is communist, in addition to the above mentioned trip to Laos. I've never encountered a problem. I was traveling with my partner. Always had accommodations with a single bed and never had anyone question a thing. Yes, we weren't walking around the streets holding hands and working the locals, but I never felt uncomfortable, nor felt like we made anyone uncomfortable.

I find these cultures to be very warm and respectful. I try to be the same when I'm a visitor in a foreign land. We've had many experiences interacting with locals and travel independently (not on a tour), always very positive. I would highly recommend southeast asia in general.

I don't think communist countries have a lock on homophobia. I'd be concerned about visiting certain parts of our own country. ;)

Did you know the "s" was silent? I didn't. Has anyone been to Laos?

Geography Now! Is one of my favorite sites.

I think Barby is a bit silly on this one. Yes, in the Lao language, and in Vietnamese and in Thai, the coutry’s name is pronounced “Lao”, but in English, French etc. everyone pronounces the s, so clearly the English name of the country is Laos, pronounced /ˈlɑːoʊs/ .

Otherwise we also have to stop using “China”, “Malaysia”, “Finland” etc. because “that is not what the locals call it in their own language!”

I think Barby is a bit silly on this one. Yes, in the Lao language, and in Vietnamese and in Thai, the coutry’s name is pronounced “Lao”, but in English, French etc. everyone pronounces the s, so clearly the English name of the country is Laos, pronounced /ˈlɑːoʊs/ .

Otherwise we also have to stop using “China”, “Malaysia”, “Finland” etc. because “that is not what the locals call it in their own language!”

Barby did qualify about the pronunciation on the Flag Friday episode