Have you ever paid for anything with bitcoin?

BlueSky
This topic is 1902 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Oliver: I usually exchange my USD with Abra (for the Amex Points) then transfer it to a separate wallet in Jaxx. I thought since my Jaxx wallet never interacts with any financial organization (nor lives for very long on any one device) that it would be fairly anonymous? Not that I do anything FinCen would be worried about. Am I wrong in that assumption? I will look into the other cryptos mentioned.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still wondering if crypto currencies are more like the iPhone or All-Electric Vehicles. Let me explain what I mean. :D

The iPhone and the Android smartphones were game changers. Everybody wanted a smartphone, got a smartphone, and now uses a smartphone. The industry is huge and ubiquitous. It remains to be seen if cryptos will ever have this kind of impact.

It's possible cryptos will be more like AEVs. It's interesting technology but confined to a fairly niche market. In the case of AEVs it seems like the buyers are clustered in big cities in blue states. If AEVs are ever going to take off infrastructure will need to change on a large scale and consumer attitudes will need to change as well. I guess cryptos won't need as huge an infrastructure. But still a lot will have to change. And I've noticed that not many people have posted about practical use for cryptos.;)

In my humble opinion, BTC is far too volatile for a business to hold as payment for goods and services

No the problem is that the dollar is far too volatile against bitcoins. The dollar is completely unreliable: one day it is worth that much xbt, the next, it has lost 10 percent!

It is all a matter of point of view, you see.

• 1 year later...

I know I function as the cryptocurrency naysayer here, but still:

https://gizmodo.com/crypto-exchange-says-it-cant-repay-190-million-to-clie-1832309454/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Cryptocurrency exchange can't honor customers' claims because its founder, who just died, was the only person who knew the password. Seems to me like a straight up case of theft now.

I know I function as the cryptocurrency naysayer here, but still:

https://gizmodo.com/crypto-exchange-says-it-cant-repay-190-million-to-clie-1832309454/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Cryptocurrency exchange can't honor customers' claims because its founder, who just died, was the only person who knew the password. Seems to me like a straight up case of theft now.

That is what's so great about a completely free and unregulated exchange. It works because it polices itself!

Oops, forgot to insert the tumblr_pjcq4gh3N61y1fkr0o1_250.jpg My bad.

Yes it does but although prices do rise the US$ is not like the Weimar currency when it took a wheelbarrow of the money to buy a loaf of bread.

During the inflation of the late 70s, early 80s, when the prime rate got to 22% or so, you could buy one-year CDS with a rate of 12.5%. That was scary enough for me. The price of gold went so high that there were all these exchanges were you could sell scrap gold for absurd amounts of money.