50 years ago this Pullitzer Prize winning image changed a war.

marylander1940

This topic is 1295 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The reason the Vietnam war ended was because as kids we watched it every night at dinner until we were to sick to stand it any more.

The reason the Afghan war has gone on longer than any other war in US History is because we

do not see what is going on - unless there is a Major Incident or Flair-up.

The reason the Vietnam war ended was because as kids we watched it every night at dinner until we were to sick to stand it any more.

The reason the Afghan war has gone on longer than any other war in US History is because we

do not see what is going on - unless there is a Major Incident or Flair-up.

Besides the draft made it more personal. Some cowards like New Gingrich and Romney demonstrated in favor of the war while avoiding it because they were married or in college.

bnxsjfscuaey_51.jpg?w=599

http://www.bartcop.com/romney-speaks-out_5.jpg

Liberal, born and raised in Maryland, proud member of pink pistols!

Ignore list: WilliamM

No. Whenever I am asked about why I demonstrated against the war after being drafted in 1967.

My response: Lyndon Johnson never gave a good explanation of why the United States was involved in Vietnam.

@Bearofdistinction I do not have access to the article because of needing to change browsers to read the New York Times.

However I was not a kid watching television during Vietnam. I was an adult in the Army reluctantly serving in Vietnam (1968-69).

I know you’ve posted about your Army experiences before, but was there a general awareness among the troops on the ground of the level of dissent and discord back in the US? If so, was that thought of as a lack of personal support and how big of an impact did it have?

it's coming.

@Keith30309 For the troops on the ground staying alive was far more important than the anti-war movement. Access to television was very limited even during the massive protests during the 1968 Democratic National Convention. In my experience there was not much support for the war among the ground troops themselves.

Very difficult to speak for five hundred thousand military serving in Vietnam in 1968-69.

Besides the draft made it more personal.

I agree that this made a huge difference. Having the draft loom over everyone's head gave everyone some skin in the game. Of course the sleazy rich got their deferments, but it was more difficult for the middle class. In today's "volunteer" military, with much or most of its enlisted members drawn from the working class who need the money, the people who would most violently protest are able to go on with their lives with no impact.

If we had 2 years of mandatory military service for EVERYONE it would really change the paradigm for the Hawks in our government whose first response is always, "Send in the military!"

If we had 2 years of mandatory military service for EVERYONE it would really change the paradigm for the Hawks in our government whose first response is always, "Send in the military!"

Some people would deserve deferments for health reason. And the U.S. military would be overwhelmed with too many people.

I agree that this made a huge difference. Having the draft loom over everyone's head gave everyone some skin in the game. Of course the sleazy rich got their deferments, but it was more difficult for the middle class. In today's "volunteer" military, with much or most of its enlisted members drawn from the working class who need the money, the people who would most violently protest are able to go on with their lives with no impact.

Agreed... but I don't like your use of "working class" term, because most of us work with more or less success. I know a lot of wealthy guys who work like crazy and I know a lot of poor white families in Cumberland Md. who go and off jobs while are hooked on food stamps and all possible help as a lifestyle.

Let's say folks from the lower classes and some from the middle class go to serve their country and most of them do it because of free healthcare and college. There were a few highly publicized of folks who joined because their spouse had cancer and enlisting was the only way to provide him/her with healthcare.

You're also missing an important point, most of the recruits are minority: Latino, black and poor rural whites from Appalachia and the South, most of them of Scotch-Irish background. Even Native Americans serve in numbers higher than their percentage of the population, while that's not the case for other individual groups of whites: Jews, Italians, Greeks, Irish, Polish, Anglo-Saxons, Germans, etc.

This is probably the second most important picture of that same war (I guess it was a long war and there were a lot of abuses). This is a 1972 pic of a little girl running down the road after napalm was dropped. You can probably read elsewhere exactly what napalm does to a person's skin but it is not nice.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2016%2F09%2Fap489943708182-resize1.jpg&w=800&q=85

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Make America Sane Again

If by "treated as a minority" you mean having experienced discrimination in prior eras of u.s. history, Irish would certainly fit.

Yes, Irish Catholics and I've experienced it myself.

I meant the high levels of poverty among Scots-Irish even though they never suffered discrimination of any kind.

• 1 month later...