Support Peacock Not Allowed On Flight

Gar1eth
Message added by RadioRob,

Please remember to keep politics out of this topic.  Failure to do so will result in post removal and warnings being issued.  

This topic is 1070 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I can be your support animal @FreshFluff!!! My DNA test stated that my ancestors came from Pomerania. There was one little teensy dot in Warsaw, Poland. That's where my maternal grandfather was from.

Hey, anyone want a hug from my support boa constrictor?

I’ve always liked you, rvwnsd, but you’re even better now that you’re a Pom! ?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had not heard of the Korat before. Pretty pussy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korat

I had heard of the Korat, but forgot all about them until I adopted two kittens in 2017 who have the fur of a Russian Blue but not the body or face. That led me back to the Korat. Based on their personalities, the shape of their faces, and the fact that one of them has "moisture incidents" on the futon in my office I think they are part Korat.

Maybe "moisture incident" kitty needs a support animal.

• 9 months later...
A local restaurant is very dog friendly, they have dog dinners (complete with a separate menu for the dogs) on the patio a few times a year. At the last one, our waitress mentioned that the cook absolutely loved dogs, and if I were to put a red vest on my dog and have dinner inside, nobody would say a thing.

I'm getting two red vests, putting them on my cats, and taking them to the new seafood restaurant that just opened in Uptown Phoenix.

A local restaurant is very dog friendly, they have dog dinners (complete with a separate menu for the dogs) on the patio a few times a year. At the last one, our waitress mentioned that the cook absolutely loved dogs, and if I were to put a red vest on my dog and have dinner inside, nobody would say a thing.

After a patio dinner there, I went to use the restroom, and she got away from me & trotted through the dining room. Nobody was out of sorts, a couple guys called her over to pet her. As they had food, she went willingly :-)

• 4 weeks later...

The Fed is going to change emotional support animal rules and I’m glad

We all might not agree on this but I'd rather knowing the rules in advance instead of relying on the subjectivity of an airline employee who might have a bad day... At least after the rules change disable people will truly be protected by the law and not depending on the kindness or unkindness of airlines employees and other passengers.

Now let's address another issue.. some should buy 2 tickets, the 2nd one half off.

15journey_600.jpg

The Fed is going to change emotional support animal rules and I’m glad

We all might not agree on this but I'd rather knowing the rules in advance instead of relying on the subjectivity of an airline employee who might have a bad day... At least after the rules change disable people will truly be protected by the law and not depending on the kindness or unkindness of airlines employees and other passengers.

Now let's address another issue.. some should buy 2 tickets, the 2nd one half off.

15journey_600.jpg

I don't like sharing my seat with anyone. I paid for it, I want all of it.

• 3 months later...
Would you mind if this support animal was in the next seat?

[MEDIA=twitter]1221946694176083968[/MEDIA]

OMG, that is the cutest little creature I have ever seen!

I saw a feature about miniature ponies trained as guide animals. Miniature ponies can do everything a seeing-eye dog can do. They're about the size of a Lab or golden retriever, two of the most common breeds for guide dogs. Miniature ponies are house-trained and don't need horseshoes, regular sneakers will do.

The big advantage of miniature ponies is that they live for ~25 years whereas Labs or goldens only 10 or so. Since the time & cost of training a guide animal is substantial, the longevity of miniature ponies is a huge plus.

Edited by BSR

• 8 months later...
A woman at Newark Liberty International Airport recently brought a peacock to join her on a United Airlines flight. The passenger claimed that she bought an extra ticket to seat her emotional support bird, but United Airlines denied it from boarding the plane.

Nothing wrong with a support peacock. It might get eaten by the nearest support kitten though.

So tired of this shit. A big crackdown by all major airlines is coming.

New rule cracks down on emotional support animals on planes

Airlines don't have to treat emotional support animals as service animals, a new rule says.

The US Department of Transportation rule announced Wednesday states that "carriers are not required to recognize emotional support animals as service animals and may treat them as pets."

Air carriers are also permitted to limit service animals to dogs.

The final rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals defines a service animal as "a dog, regardless of breed or type, that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a qualified individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability."

Emotional support animals are prescribed by mental health professionals to provide their owners with comfort and support, but unlike service animals, they are not required to have training in specific tasks.

Airlines have asked DOT to regulate this issue in part over their concern that passengers were fraudulently passing off their pets as the more loosely defined and fee-free category of emotional support animals.

Flying with a small pet inside the cabin can cost $125 or more each way on US airlines.

The new rule was also prompted by an increase in service animal complaints from passengers with disabilities, a lack of clarity around the definition of "service animal," misbehavior by emotional support animals and disruptions caused by "requests to transport unusual species of animals onboard aircraft," according to the DOT.

Pigs, peacocks and other unexpected animals have previously flown as emotional support animals.

Airlines for America, a trade group for US airlines, applauded the new rule.

"Airlines are committed to promoting accessibility for passengers with disabilities and ensuring their safe travel. The Department of Transportation's final rule will protect the traveling public and airline crew members from untrained animals in the cabin, as well as improve air travel accessibility for passengers with disabilities that travel with trained service dogs," said A4A President and CEO Nicholas E. Calio in a statement.

American Airlines is also pleased with the rule.

"This new rule reflects a respect for individuals with disabilities who travel with legitimate service animals, which we share, while providing clear and practical guidelines that will eliminate the abuse of the system that has been a source of concern for our team members and customers," said AA spokesperson Stacy Day.

"We look forward to the improved experience we'll be able to deliver to our customers, especially those with legitimate service animals, as a result."

The new rule allows airlines to require passengers traveling with service animals to fill out and submit a DOT form "attesting to the animal's training and good behavior, and certifying the animal's good health."

Approximately 15,000 comments were received in response to a notice of the proposed rule posted in the Federal Register in February 2020, according to the DOT.

Those comments were taken into account in drafting the final rule.

The rule will go into effect 30 days after it is published in the Federal Register. The publication date has not been set.

Previously, a passenger traveling with an emotional support animal was required to present a letter to their airline from a licensed health professional.

CertaPet, one of a number of services that provide screening and letters for emotional support animals, called the rule "a great disservice to those facing mental health challenges that get emotional support from their animal."

The company said in a statement that "providing clear guidelines for certification and vetting companies in the industry" would have been a better solution.

"We understand that there have been incidents that have discredited emotional support animals and the service they provide, but those situations could be prevented by increased regulation," the telehealth company's statement said.

"We think emotional support peacocks are ridiculous too."

But you know there are a lot of arcane dog breeds that no one has ever heard of (and probably never seen either). I figure it's just a matter of time until somebody comes along and claims that their peacock is actually a little-known exotic canine breed. Where there's a will . . .

'Is not rat, Mr Fawlty, is hampster.'