Support Peacock Not Allowed On Flight

Gar1eth
Message added by RadioRob,

Please remember to keep politics out of this topic.  Failure to do so will result in post removal and warnings being issued.  

This topic is 1089 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Now, if it was a Grosstedes Gristedes you probably wouldn't have noticed.

One *was* a Gristedes; when I complained, they told me they couldn’t do anything about it. I told them they could - there’s a law prohibiting this, and a customer complaining! They again told me “we can’t do nothing.” That dog wasn’t the one shitting in the aisle; that happened at a Fairway.

***EDIT - just making another plug for humans taking care of each other***

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a nut case of a woman who can't seem to live or travel without her toy dog. She's on her 4th teacupper since I've known her. The woman is the type who sprays her body with Estée Lauder perfume before she enters a room. She once told me she sprayed her last dog, too, insisting her micro pet loved the scent. Not 4 years old, the toy dog developed cancer. The woman paid a fortune to give the dog chemo treatments. The dog died.

For months I listened to this woman and her dog woes, all the while thinking she needs serious therapy and deserves jail time for mistreatment of animals. When it comes to pets, some people are absolutely crazy.

I think this is maybe an opportunity to begin marketing pet rocks again. I'm sure some of you dear readers must remember them.They were all the rage one Christmas. If some nut case had to bring on a pet rock as their emotional support, no one would complain (well, there's always bound to be one. . . ). I love animals but the need to bring one on an airplane seems self indulgent and cruel to the animal as well as the fellow passengers. If someone really needs an emotional support animal have them get in touch with their parent(s) and bring them along but leave Fido or Fiffy at home where they'll be happier. Of course true service animals are different.

I think this is maybe an opportunity to begin marketing pet rocks again. I'm sure some of you dear readers must remember them.They were all the rage one Christmas. If some nut case had to bring on a pet rock as their emotional support, no one would complain (well, there's always bound to be one. . . ). I love animals but the need to bring one on an airplane seems self indulgent and cruel to the animal as well as the fellow passengers. If someone really needs an emotional support animal have them get in touch with their parent(s) and bring them along but leave Fido or Fiffy at home where they'll be happier. Of course true service animals are different.

It's a wonderful idea but the airlines would classify it as a weapon. Maybe put it in a carrying case and place it under the seat in front of you. But then that defeats the purpose: that is, you need to stroke it during take-off and landing. OOPs - you already have something to stroke.

It's a wonderful idea but the airlines would classify it as a weapon. Maybe put it in a carrying case and place it under the seat in front of you. But then that defeats the purpose: that is, you need to stroke it during take-off and landing. OOPs - you already have something to stroke.

How about using stuffed animals?

For when you're really emotional and need extra support:

http://www.thewinooski.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/TWFI-2018_02_01.jpg

My support elephant was a hit at work, right until the floor collapsed under him. Upshot is we now have a portal to the first floor.

Bring the tiger next time. If he needs a snack, point him to your narcissist boss in the corner office.

• 2 months later...

I just finished "The Friend", at one point the author has her huge Great Dane classified as an emotional support animal to avoid being evicted from her rent-controlled Manhattan apartment.

I've considered looking into it, never really seriously though. But I am a font of information about what local businesses and restaurants allow dogs. There's a local place that runs dog rescue events on their patio, and hosts "Dog Dinners" several times a year, complete with a menu for the dogs. I've only been to one of those so far, the owner was wandering the patio talking to the guests and he was so obviously joyous over this event that I plan on attending many more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A woman and her horse walked into a restaurant. This was no joke.

Imagine the quandary a Central Florida restaurant manager faced when a woman walked in with a miniature horse.

Table for two?

This wasn't just any horse, after all. This one is a service horse with its own Facebook page: Honey the Mini Service Horse.

In a world in which people have tried to pass off squirrels,peacocks, hamsters and ducks as service animals or "emotional support animals" in fights with landlords and airlines, the manager of an Ocala First Watch restaurant wasn't sure what to do about Honey.

Or the woman who was hungry as a, well, you get the idea.

So he called the breakfast restaurant's corporate office in University Park, Florida, for some guidance, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

He found out Honey and her owner could be welcomed. (Is oatmeal on the menu?) There's a regulation that says so, the restaurant chain learned.

We reached out to First Watch and got this response:

"On Friday, June 15, a woman came into First Watch in Ocala with her miniature horse. When asked if it was a service animal, the woman confirmed that it was.

"We brought her to a table, where the horse could stand against the wall next to her. Of course our team was a bit surprised, as we’ve never had anyone bring a service miniature horse into one of our restaurants. But we always to do our best to accommodate customers who have legitimate service animals," First Watch spokeswoman Eleni Kouvatsos said in an email to the Miami Herald.

The Americans with Disabilities Act has specific regulations concerning service animals, which the ADA describes as "dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities."

But the ADA's revised regulations from 2010 also contain a specific provision covering miniature horses, like Honey the Mini Service Horse. Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds, according to ADA guidelines.

In other words, the Triple Crown winner isn't going to be seated next to you as you graze on your Açai Bowl at First Watch.

In part, the ADA regulation states:

"Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility.

"The assessment factors are whether the miniature horse is housebroken; whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility."

Turns out Honey was a fine fit for this particular First Watch, Kouvatsos said.

"The horse seemed to be in the owner’s control, to be housebroken, and not to propose any safety concerns for our other customers or staff in the restaurant, so while unusual, we were happy to accommodate."

Honey lets her Facebook page speak for her.

On Friday, her owner posted on her behalf: "Had a great meal ... or at least watched my handler have a great meal. Everyone was so awesome."

Edited by samhexum

Since this thread started about a support peacock ... earlier this year the ACT government talked about a plan to cull feral peafowl in an inner southern suburb of Canberra, but they were in for a surprise. There was a huge public response, over 400 submissions, mostly against culling the birds. They will now be largely left alone, adding a bit of, ... err .... 'colour' to the inner south.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/proposed-peacock-cull-cancelled-after-overwhelming-community-outcry-20180619-p4zmbn.html

There is no indication whether either Canberra Airport or Qantas has been asked to comment.

Funny, I made a three-stop shopping trip last week and brought my dog along/inside. Results were unexpected. The cupcake shop welcomed her with open arms & offered her a free dog-cupcake, the smoke shop was indifferent, and at the local library, a woman hustled up immediately and said that unless she was a service dog I had to take her outside.

• 1 month later...

Emotional support pets banned from Royal Caribbean cruises

180815-royal-caribbean-bans-support-animals-embed.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Tourists looking to take their emotional support peacock on their next cruise adventure may be out of luck.

Royal Caribbean International, the world’s second-largest cruise line by number of passengers, will no longer allow travelers to bring their emotional support animals with them aboard its ships, effective immediately, a cruise industry blog first reported Tuesday. If passengers made reservations to sail with emotional support animals before July 30, they will still be allowed on board, but subsequent reservations won’t accommodate them.

“We are updating the policy to differentiate emotional support animals from service animals that are trained and certified to perform a function for a person with a disability,” a spokeswoman for Royal Caribbean said in an email to MarketWatch. “It is important to us that all our guests enjoy their vacation, which is why we put into practice this new policy. Royal Caribbean’s policy remains the same for service animals traveling with guests that have a physical or non-physical disability.”

The company did not say whether the policy would apply to other cruise lines owned by parent company Royal Caribbean Cruises, such as Celebrity Cruises.

Royal Caribbean’s ban appears to be one of the first cruise line policies to actively prohibit emotional support animals specifically, said Chris Gray Faust, managing editor of travel website Cruise Critic.

Norwegian Cruise Line does not accept emotional support animals onboard its ships, and neither does Carnival but they do allow service animals. “Norwegian Cruise Line accepts service animals that are trained to perform a specific task,” a Norwegian spokesperson said. On Carnival ships, trained and certified service animals as defined by the US Department of Justice can accompany passengers.

“Cruise lines have quite strict animal guidelines, only allowing service and support animals onboard most lines,” Faust said. The one exception: Cunard Line, a subsidiary of Carnival, has kennels onboard for pet owners to use to house their pets during their trip. Cunard’s website even features photos of a porter walking a bulldog on the ship’s deck.

Emotional support animals have become a hot-button issue, particularly in the travel industry. While state and local jurisdictions may expand further on what can be considered a “service animal,” under federal law service animals are dogs trained individually to do certain work or perform tasks for someone who has a disability. These tasks can include everything from guiding someone who is blind to assisting people with psychiatric disabilities so that they don’t engage in impulsive or harmful behaviors.

Emotional support animals meanwhile are typically not trained by professionals. Additionally, emotional support animals are often considered to be pets, whereas service dogs are working animals and not companions in the same sense. People have claimed creatures ranging from lizards to hamsters to peacocks as support animals.

“It’s a topic that is quite contentious among travelers, due to logistical issues and the lines’ otherwise tight guidelines regarding animals onboard,” Faust said. “With policies continuing to change throughout the travel industry — whether by air, land or sea — it’s more important than ever to familiarize yourself with the guidelines of your travel company of choice to ensure you’re booking with a company that can best meet your needs.”

The Air Carrier Access Act has a provision that requires airlines to allow emotional support animals on planes, as long as the animal isn’t a danger or interference to others and their owner has proper documentation.

A number of airlines, including Delta, American and Alaska have tightened their rulessurrounding these animals, which have been known to bite passengers and relieve themselves on planes. Despite the crackdown on four-legged friends, airlines continue are seeing more emotional support animals on their flights.

Along with the uptick in emotional support animals onboard planes has come an increase in the number of incidents involving them. A young girl was injured on a Southwest Airlines flight in February after an altercation with an emotional support dog.

A woman and her horse walked into a restaurant. This was no joke.

Imagine the quandary a Central Florida restaurant manager faced when a woman walked in with a miniature horse.

Table for two?

This wasn't just any horse, after all. This one is a service horse with its own Facebook page: Honey the Mini Service Horse.

It may sound ridiculous on the surface, but it's not. I new a woman when I lived in Maine who trained Shetland ponies to be seeing-eye animals. They're not much bigger than dogs that perform the same service.

One key difference, though, is life span. Dogs live 10-15 years, with maybe 8 of being a good service animal. Horses live closer to 30 years.

Edited by bnm73