Support Peacock Not Allowed On Flight

Gar1eth
Message added by RadioRob,

Please remember to keep politics out of this topic.  Failure to do so will result in post removal and warnings being issued.  

This topic is 1071 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it’s an interesting statement about the way we watch out for and take care of each other and support each other that - with nearly 7 billion people on the planet - we need support peacocks. Or dogs. Or lions. Or whatever.

I’m not knocking the support that animals (pets or support or guide) can provide, and there are times for me that I feel sad or lost or alone and an animal’s love and company would be wonderful. I still have to wonder what made this woman’s life so difficult that the idea of getting on a plane without her animal would be unbearable, or undoable.

I suspect strongly this wasn't truly an "emotional support peacock," knowing that she's an artist and the peacock has an instagram account. She's just a Brooklyn hipster trying to find a way to get her pet on the plane.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59w7nq/the-support-peacock-that-couldnt-get-on-a-flight-has-a-fire-instagram-vgtrn

I think it’s an interesting statement about the way we watch out for and take care of each other and support each other that - with nearly 7 billion people on the planet - we need support peacocks. Or dogs. Or lions. Or whatever.

I’m not knocking the support that animals (pets or support or guide) can provide, and there are times for me that I feel sad or lost or alone and an animal’s love and company would be wonderful. I still have to wonder what made this woman’s life so difficult that the idea of getting on a plane without her animal would be unbearable, or undoable.

You're overthinking this. She tried to game the system and she lost.

Now, it's putting a gigantic spotlight on people who abuse this on a regular basis, hopefully causing some change in policy and making it near-impossible for very large dogs and odd animals to be carried onto a small flying tube in the future.

As a physician I can understand why and how much good the TRUE support animals do for their humans. I had 2 big dogs and was moving and every house i tried to rent refused because of the dogs. They well totally well-behaved, trained, did not jump on people, and most who met them fell in love with them. I looked on the web, found sites to have them "certified" as support animals within 48 hours and then decided against that road because landlords would only find another reason to get rid of them (and me) and I felt it reflected badly on the entire subject. It's simply dishonest.

My local market has a HUGE sign outside the entrance that only support animals will be allowed inside. That stops no-one. There are dogs everywhere I go - big ones on leashes without the requisite "vest" identifying them as support animals. Occasionally I see a sight-impaired shopper with a dog and those animals are truly well-trained and behaved. The others go up to people, sniff them, etc. The management does nothing to discourage this.

I wonder what they would say if the Health Department came sniffing around!

As a physician I can understand why and how much good the TRUE support animals do for their humans. I had 2 big dogs and was moving and every house i tried to rent refused because of the dogs. They well totally well-behaved, trained, did not jump on people, and most who met them fell in love with them. I looked on the web, found sites to have them "certified" as support animals within 48 hours and then decided against that road because landlords would only find another reason to get rid of them (and me) and I felt it reflected badly on the entire subject. It's simply dishonest.

My local market has a HUGE sign outside the entrance that only support animals will be allowed inside. That stops no-one. There are dogs everywhere I go - big ones on leashes without the requisite "vest" identifying them as support animals. Occasionally I see a sight-impaired shopper with a dog and those animals are truly well-trained and behaved. The others go up to people, sniff them, etc. The management does nothing to discourage this.

I dont think most people object to Dogs? That's what we are used to. But now, people are getting all sorts of unconventional creatures, which the general public is not accustomed to dealing with. I personally would not want to be in the cabin with that Big Ass Bird !

I dont think most people object to Dogs? That's what we are used to. But now, people are getting all sorts of unconventional creatures, which the general public is not accustomed to dealing with. I personally would not want to be in the cabin with that Big Ass Bird !

unfortunately, you would be amazed at how many people are afraid of dogs in any size, shape, and color!

I saw on of these on the Amtrak Surfliner once....these aren’t my pics....just similar

0_A24_DE3_B-28_F9-41_CD-_B0_CC-8_AB15_C937_DDB.png

87_DA8_EBF-_EF74-48_F7-_B040-73488_ED874_C9.jpg

That miniature pony is adorable! Yeah, we might see more and more of this. Apparently miniature ponies can be trained to do everything that a seeing-eye guide dog does. It's not much larger than a Labrador Retriever or the other breeds commonly trained to be guide dogs, and the miniature ponies can be house-trained. The big advantage is that miniature ponies live to about 25 whereas dogs live only to 10-15. Since the cost of a guide dog can be quite substantial, the greater life expectancy of the ponies is a significant advantage.

There is little in the world that gets under my skin more than people bringing their non-guide/support dogs (or not labelled as such) into the grocery store. I've stopped going to 2 of them here in NYC for it - one time there was a dog pissing and shitting in the vegetable aisle and the workers were just laughing. I've never been back.

My cat had his own cat, so this is not outside of the realm of possibility.

By the way - I am not kidding. My beloved cat Willy (whose spirit occupies my current cats) was lonely, so I adopted Heidi, the former feral. She hid from me (and everyone else), but would hang around him. So, I had a cat and my cat had a cat.

There is little in the world that gets under my skin more than people bringing their non-guide/support dogs (or not labelled as such) into the grocery store. I've stopped going to 2 of them here in NYC for it - one time there was a dog pissing and shitting in the vegetable aisle and the workers were just laughing. I've never been back.

Now, if it was a Grosstedes Gristedes you probably wouldn't have noticed.

I was on a United Flight a couple of months ago and someone took a dog into first class. I didn't hear the conversation but I gather he didn't document properly as he had to get off the plane. His traveling companion in coach had to race to get off the plane because I guess he took his sweet time telling her about it. They had to reopen the door.

It's one thing to allow them in residences. It's quite another to allow them in the cramped quarters of an airplane. I simply don't buy that these people can't deal for a couple of hours, the ones who seek out exotic untrained animals. They're just attention seeking.

My unlicensed view. Service dogs are of course completely appropriate with documentation. Emotional support dogs are for me a tougher topic. I see photos of people on Instagram - models or ultra rich people of course - flying with their large dogs in the cabin so I assume they are emotional support. Those people appear from their Instagram photos to be completely healthy. I don't buy into the view that other types of animals are service or emotional support - guess I'm biased towards dogs. I would fly with our dog if I was confident it wouldn't suffer or die wherever it is kept on the plane. As long as it was treated well (better than anyone flying in Coach) I'm not concerned about the cost.

You're overthinking this. She tried to game the system and she lost.

Now, it's putting a gigantic spotlight on people who abuse this on a regular basis, hopefully causing some change in policy and making it near-impossible for very large dogs and odd animals to be carried onto a small flying tube in the future.

1. Allow Service DOGS. Put a vest on it. I think 99% of people understand and respect the need and the law covering those animals. My opinion is too many Emotional support animals are bogus.

2. Small dog that fits under the seat in a carrier. Leave it in the carrier from the moment you board until you get off.

3. Improve the conditions and service for flying pets that don't fall under 1 and 2. Charge appropriately and make sure I don't hear about any pets dying along the way because they didn't have water or appropriate temperatures. I don't want to read about someone losing their pet while it was in the airlines possession.

1. Allow Service DOGS. Put a vest on it. I think 99% of people understand and respect the need and the law covering those animals. My opinion is too many Emotional support animals are bogus.

2. Small dog that fits under the seat in a carrier. Leave it in the carrier from the moment you board until you get off.

3. Improve the conditions and service for flying pets that don't fall under 1 and 2. Charge appropriately and make sure I don't hear about any pets dying along the way because they didn't have water or appropriate temperatures. I don't want to read about someone losing their pet while it was in the airlines possession.

Yep. I'm fine with these, most of which already exist as hard rules with the airlines. GAs and FAs just need to ensure people follow them. I'd say I expect people to be reasonable, but that's usually not the case the moment they step into an airport.

Service dogs- true service dogs- are well-trained. They are calm. They don't bark for no reason and are often able to sit still for long spans of time. ESAs don't usually have that training. To me, that's a huge issue and one I hope they put some regulations on.