Daisy chain?

purplekow
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A random memory popped into my head, seemingly out of nowhere. I suppose that is the definition of random, but I digress. I have a vague recollection of being a young and impressionable young man, perhaps barely into my teens or possibly just shy of those chaotic years. In any case, the memory is of a news story on television of a group of about twenty men being arrested in Central Park NYC (my guess would the Rambles) as they were engaged in activity called a "daisy chain". I asked my father who was watching the news with me what that was and he plead ignorance.

Anyway, I later learned that this activity was supposed to be a circle of men each being a top and a bottom at the same time until a circle was formed.

I did a quick search and it seems that I brought this topic up about 2 years ago but it pulled into a discussion about 3 ways and so I am bring it up again.

Are they real or merely urban legend?

Anyone ever involved in a daisy chain?

Is there choreography involved?

Is it like a chain letter and if you break the chain you will have bad luck?

Curiosity abounds.

Edited by purplekow

Of course, I have heard of a daisy chain, but I have never witnessed or participated in one. I saw something close at the 3rd Street Athletic Club in LA. It was a chain of maybe 6 or 8 guys, all coupled. The one at the front was coupled with the guy behind him. The one at the rear was coupled to the one in front of him and the ones in the middle were coupled both front and rear. It seemed to be a spontaneous event, little to no choreography. If you wanted to join you just coupled at either end. I was completely amazed by it and watched for a few minutes, but didn't join in.

Speaking as one who engaged in frequent group activity in my debauched youth, including in the Ramble, I have to say that I never encountered anything as complicated as you describe. I think it would require a choreographer with a great deal of control (think: Busby Berkeley) to make it work for even a few minutes. I think the newscast engaged in a bit of hyperbole.