State of the Union

MikeyGMin
This topic is 1352 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to wait for the analyses. The level of disgust the sight/sound of that man emanates is debilitating for me.

That's just what I was thinking. I'm going to hear more than I want just by listening to the news and the analysis without having to sit through every clumsy, ugly gesture and face that man makes!

Our Congresswoman is boycotting the event. http://www.indiawest.com/news/global_indian/rep-pramila-jayapal-among-democrats-boycotting-potus-state-of-the/article_343a3bcc-fd70-11e7-ace5-c3a117cd840a.html

She has a good sense of the mood of her district, including mine. It is not patriotic to normalize or legitimize someone who is fundamentally undermining the democratic institutions on which our country depends.

I won't be watching. Full text is always available immediately and will be analyzed to death in the following days. I haven't watched one of them live in years.

My congressman won't be boycotting. He only boycotts constituents. (And will likely not be reelected for his other BS. )

Gotta say, watching Trump stand up there reading Steven Miller’s latest fiction doesn’t sound like great TV to me. If he were reading Steven King, or something out of John le Carré’s new book, I’d be tempted to tune in.

That said, Tuesday nights are usually lousy TV where I live so I’ll probably wait to see what else is on. If there’s just a hemmorhoid cream or Ginsu knife infomercial, it’ll be a tossup.

But if there’s an old Ron Popeil classic running, I’ll definitely be watching that instead. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://www.statesman.com/rf/image_large/Pub/p8/Statesman/2017/04/03/Images/newsEngin.18281489_Ronco.jpg

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

Gotta say, watching Trump stand up there reading Steven Miller’s latest fiction doesn’t sound like great TV to me. If he were reading Steven King, or something out of John le Carré’s new book, I’d be tempted to tune in.

That said, Tuesday nights are usually lousy TV where I live so I’ll probably wait to see what else is on. If there’s just a hemmorhoid cream or Ginsu knife infomercial, it’ll be a tossup.

But if there’s an old Ron Popeil classic running, I’ll definitely be watching that instead. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://www.statesman.com/rf/image_large/Pub/p8/Statesman/2017/04/03/Images/newsEngin.18281489_Ronco.jpg

Dont ya wanna see Trumps latest facial expressions and Hand gestures ? They're becoming a Trend ya know ! And I would wanna see how much spunk he puts into denying "Kollusion", and basically making the speech ALL ABOUT TRUMP ........

i'm going to watch - I have a few pairs of shoes that I want to throw at the TV while Trump is reading his accomplishments. The problem is that the speech is not written by him and says nothing of what HE wants desperately wants to say. His battle will be to stay on-teleprompter. If he goes off on his own, it will be a Broadway show!

i'm going to watch - I have a few pairs of shoes that I want to throw at the TV while Trump is reading his accomplishments. The problem is that the speech is not written by him and says nothing of what HE wants desperately wants to say. His battle will be to stay on-teleprompter. If he goes off on his own, it will be a Broadway show!

I am sure he has been instructed to put force the demeanor of a "Stable Jenius"..... Whether he can, is another story !

I literally cannot listen to his voice for any period of time, so no I will not be watching. I heard that Justice Ginsberg will not be there so I am still hoping that she will be calling me and taking me to dinner. If that does not pull through then I will watch Rachel Maddow, et al. tell me what the Fuhrer said. I definitely want to find out if I need to get my passport out and pack a couple of bags.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Make America Sane Again

for the same reason i do not read things from our Gang of Three (the late BTC and his two partners in idiocy), i will not be acknowledging that 45 will be allowed to give a state of the union address

for the same reason i changed my avatar to Arthur Rimbaud, i will not be hearing the sound of that voice.... in a world where there is much beauty to be found, i refuse to hear the sounds of ugliness.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows....

Che Guevara: "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."

Although it will be difficult, I will watch. I like to see how members of congress and the various guests react to Trump's idiocy. And I like to see how well post-address assessments from the pundits compare to my own. Also, Representative Joe Kennedy (grandson of Bobby Kennedy) will be giving the opposition party's response. That's something to look forward to.

Also, Representative Joe Kennedy (grandson of Bobby Kennedy) will be giving the opposition party's response. That's something to look forward to.

I sure hope he remembers that sometimes less is more. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/06/article-2083181-0F59338400000578-343_468x341.jpg

Feh!

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

I won't be watching. Full text is always available immediately and will be analyzed to death in the following days. I haven't watched one of them live in years.

One of the very rare times that deej and I completely agree on something. I can't even remember the last time I watched a SOTU address live, maybe one in GWB's first term, nor sure. I just wait for and read the text afterward. What's the point of watching a guy read painstakingly wordsmithed text off a teleprompter? The only thing I would be interested in watching is the pained faces of his Chief of Staff, Jared Kushner, etc. during the SOTU as they pray to God that Cheetoh-face stays on script.

My ignore list:  marylander1940, MiamiLooker, stevenkesslar

It makes no difference what any POTUS says at the State of the Union Address. I gave up long ago. I remember one given by Richard Nixon. He proposed that the cabinet be re-organized into half-a-dozen super departments. I liked that idea but nothing came of it. That's when I realized it meant nothing.

One thing I don't like and I think it began with Reagan was having special guests present and pointing them out and referring to them during the speech.

I'll wait until the next day and let the pundits tear it to shreds!

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" ["Animal Farm"]

" ... my library was dukedom large enough" [Prospero - "The Tempest" Act 1, Scene 2]

I sure hope he remembers that sometimes less is more. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I've seen more than a few complaints from dem pundits that in the era of #METOO the response will be given by a privileged white male, but I've seen others who know him say he's exactly the right guy.

We'll see.

Since Obama was so rudely interrupted during his speech in the House in 2009 with a "You lie!" - I think that one of the Dems should return the favor by yelling "You crazy!" on Tuesday.

I have no doubt that if Stephen Miller writes the speech for Trump I will come away with the same feelings that George W. did after hearing Trump's inaugural address: "That was some weird shit."

I have no doubt that if Stephen Miller writes the speech for Trump I will come away with the same feelings that George W. did after hearing Trump's inaugural address: "That was some weird shit."

Nothing Trump says on Tuesday can ever be as bad as GWB's axis of evil speech he gave leading up to the Iraq war. That wasn't just "weird shit", it was evil & demented shit. People in general need to quit glorifying the war criminal just because he pretends to oppose Trump.

Radical Independent

Since Obama was so rudely interrupted during his speech in the House in 2009 with a "You lie!" - I think that one of the Dems should return the favor by yelling "You crazy!" on Tuesday.

I don't think any Dem should sink to that level. Best way to protest is not to attend or to remain sitting and not to applaud. If anyone were to shout out the next day Rush and others would be all over it! Don't want to give them any ammunition.

Next year he'll be addressing a Democratic controlled Congress.

Edited by Avalon

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" ["Animal Farm"]

" ... my library was dukedom large enough" [Prospero - "The Tempest" Act 1, Scene 2]