Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad dies in Sweden at 91

marylander1940
This topic is 2280 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

He really did create something revolutionary. Simple clean lines, easy to assemble and affordable. Perfect for people on a budget or just starting out.

I certainly wouldn't want a house full of Ikea furniture, but when I moved into a larger place and suddenly had another guest room to furnish, I popped into Ikea for the bedside tables and a TV stand. I thought I would just use them until I found something better, but 5 years later I still really like them. (Of course the room only gets used a few times a year so I have no idea how they would stand up to daily use.)

I heard he wasn’t the best of people politically or socially.

I can imagine. When a billionaire is still wearing flea market clothing, that goes way beyond being thrifty. He must have been a nightmare to work for and one can imagine what his social views were if he thinks new clothing is a wasteful luxury item.

I can imagine. When a billionaire is still wearing flea market clothing, that goes way beyond being thrifty. He must have been a nightmare to work for and one can imagine what his social views were if he thinks new clothing is a wasteful luxury item.

I was referring to issues such as homophobia and antisemitism.

I heard he wasn’t the best of people politically or socially.

Yes, you're right.

Sometimes geniuses/innovators like him or Bill Gates are not the most friendly person. Thank God for folks like him, we've all benefited from their creations yet I wouldn't like them as neighbors.

Will Ikea go public now?

Would yinz buy Ikea stock in the stock market?

As far as Ikea stock, should it go public, I would not see it as a long term winner. Slow growth until online competition cuts into the bottom line is my take on it. Though it does have a big head start and so there likely will be early growth.

Edited by purplekow

As far as Ikea stock, should it go public, I would not see it as a long term winner. Slow growth until online competition cuts into the bottom line is my take on it. Though it does have a big head start and so there likely will be early growth.

I think it's hard to predict what's a good or a bad investment in the stock market.

Online competition when it comes to furniture (that's the main reason folks go to Ikea, they buy other things too...) has 3 disadvantages: price for shipping, delivery time, and condition of the furniture. I'm sure overstock.com and wayfair.com are compatible but Ikea could be a good investment right before the open a store in new countries.

I would buy it!