“Wicked”

BroadwayDave
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw the Saturday matineee on January 27,2018. This show was absolutely amazing! Lots and lots of subtle humor thrown into the mix with wonderful singing on most everyone’s part across the board, and the orchestra was great this time, at no point drowning out the performance as in my last visit here during “Love Never Dies”.

Great costumes, enjoyed all of the wonderful visuals (i.e. Oz and The Wizard scenes), the flying monkeys, and from start to finish I was never let down.

Favorite songs include: “I’m Not That Girl” (utterly magnificent, sublime, and tragically sad); “Popular”, which was just so giggly because Glinda (Ginna Claire Mason) was so over the top giggly - it was too cute; and for obvious reasons (if you’ve already seen the show) “Defying Gravity”, which ended Act 1 with the largest applause I’ve ever heard at the Benedum Center.

While listening to the Original Cast Album in preparation for the show I also loved “Dancing Through Life”, but in the performance I attended the actor playing Fiyero (Michael Campano) was sort of “too cool for school” and it was hard understanding him slumping through the lyrics. This wasn’t the case during any of his other songs, just this one.

Ginna Claire Mason (Glinda) and Mary Kate Morrissey (Elphaba) were nothing short of brilliant. Stunning. Incredible. Amazing. I couldn’t have asked to have witnessed better. Robin de Jesus (Boc) was probably my next favorite. Superb performance. All others were wonderful as well, but I thought these three were best.

Near the end, where Elphaba draws the curtain so that Glinda won’t see what comes next, and Glinda’s response, was just heartbreaking.

This was only the fourth show of this run in Pittsburgh, and it runs from January 24th - February 11th. Overall I’d give this a perfect 10, even with the difficulty of understanding the “Dancing Through Life” lyrics. The show is simply a marvel, and a definite must see.

39935923211_8ec4a5a136_c_d.jpg

Edited by BroadwayDave