A Cuisine Qustion

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d go in an instant. Nothing like that in LA anymore that I know of.

There’s a classic French place on Balboa Peninsula called Pescadou Bistro if you want to drive down to Newport. I took a young man there who’d never eaten French cuisine and he loved the fois gras, escargots, etc.

There must be, with that mid-century mood that is so common in LA.

Never been to Camelot, but given the odd name, it sounds like a very American idea of Continental French cooking. Two downtown LA places have lots of traditional French things on the menu, along with other dishes: Church & State (excellent bistro) and Le Petit Paris (more upscale).

Guys forgive me but these dishes which are classics make us all sound like 90. In Paris right now it would be hard to find these relics of the past. Don’t you like more current French dishes? Like what might be served at l’Atelier de Robuchon? Let’s get out of the nursing home and go for a walk lol.

I’m 30years younger than your nursing home comment. What’s wrong with enjoying the old classics? And the new? Shouldn’t be one or the other it’s not a binary choice

Guys forgive me but these dishes which are classics make us all sound like 90. In Paris right now it would be hard to find these relics of the past. Don’t you like more current French dishes? Like what might be served at l’Atelier de Robuchon? Let’s get out of the nursing home and go for a walk lol.

I believe there are many here who appreciate both.

And just because I have a soft spot for the classics doesn't make me old: It makes me appreciative and diverse

Joel Robuchon's dining rooms are fine and dandy, but I don't have the patience for a 15-course tasting. I've dined at his namesakes in France, Hong Kong and his US flagship in Vegas. Much of the food comes across as fussy for the sake of being fussy and not particularly flavorful. It's one of the few times I've been disappointed with a 3-star Michelin rating.

Give me La Tour d'Argent any day. I dream about their pressed duck :)

I’m 30years younger than your nursing home comment. What’s wrong with enjoying the old classics? And the new? Shouldn’t be one or the other it’s not a binary choice

No one said we shouldn’t enjoy the classics. I said why are we perseverating on them to the apparent exclusion of current French dishes.

And just because I have a soft spot for the classics doesn't make me old: It makes me appreciative and diverse

Joel Robuchon's dining rooms are fine and dandy, but I don't have the patience for a 15-course tasting. I've dined at his namesakes in France, Hong Kong and his US flagship in Vegas. Much of the food comes across as fussy for the sake of being fussy and not particularly flavorful. It's one of the few times I've been disappointed with a 3-star Michelin rating.

L’Atelier Robuchon offers a la carte as well. No tasting menu required.

The Grill In NYC offers a sauce made with pressed duck. As st Tour d’Argent in Paris the duck is pressed tableside but it’s then done in a modern presentation with pasta.

I happen to love escargot, duck a l'orange, onion soup, even liver and onions!

Lobster Thermador I would kill for but it's nowhere to be found.

I love all the "old" classics, prepared without shortcuts. I would almost kill for a simple fettuccine Alfredo prepared the original way - parmesan and butter and NO cream.

I happen to love escargot, duck a l'orange, onion soup, even liver and onions!

Lobster Thermador I would kill for but it's nowhere to be found.

I love all the "old" classics, prepared without shortcuts. I would almost kill for a simple fettuccine Alfredo prepared the original way - parmesan and butter and NO cream.

And let's not let this orgy of french cuisine conversation go further without mentioning Boeuf Bourguignon. One of my all-time favorites.

You’re going to have to find a citation to that? Where is it made without cream?

Crazy, but true.

The original alfredo had no heavy cream in it and the base of it was fresh parm and a ton of butter.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/alfredos-of-romes-original-fettuccine-alfredo-187391

http://memoriediangelina.com/2013/05/19/fettuccine-alfredo/

I do understand. L'Atelier is a whole other separate eatery than his flagships.

The Vegas location of L'Atelier is beautiful. I'm just not a fan of how the dining room packs in guests. It's tight quarters.

Not sure I totally understand but I suppose you’re referring The Mansion operated by Robuchon in Vegas? You can get as few as two courses there. Anyway it’s a great restaurant.

Enjoy the old time classics gentlemen! Vive la France!

Crazy, but true.

The original alfredo had no heavy cream in it and the base of it was fresh parm and a ton of butter.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/alfredos-of-romes-original-fettuccine-alfredo-187391

http://memoriediangelina.com/2013/05/19/fettuccine-alfredo/

Thanks!!! Something new to try, sounds delicious

Edited by MikeBiDude