A Cuisine Qustion

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steak Diane / $28.00

Tenderloin medallions seared and flambéed with cognac - served with a shallot accented Madeira sauce.

One of my favorite women in history is Diane de Poitiers the mistress of Henri II

https://www.thecultureconcept.com/diane-de-poitiers-moon-mistress-and-woman-of-influence

I'll make you Steak JJ for $10.00

There's a mom & pop grocery store in town that used to have a great meat counter. People would come from miles around but new owners and it was shut down. But several times a year I'd have the old owner make me a steak. It would take several days to marinade. Wonderful! It was @$40.

There's a mom & pop grocery store in town that used to have a great meat counter. People would come from miles around but new owners and it was shut down. But several times a year I'd have the old owner make me a steak. It would take several days to marinade. Wonderful! It was @$40.

You said you lived in the middle of nowhere.... And they charge $40 for Steak ? Might as well move to NYC and be "somewhere"....

Yeah, everything is fusion this & tapas that nowadays. As much as I love my pintxos (the Basque spelling), I absolutely despise this tapas craze. Tapas today are what everybody used to call appetizers. If you want to order two or three, go ahead, nobody's stopping you.

As for the un-trendiness of French cuisine, it bums me out to see classic French cuisine fading from the gastronomic landscape. I simply love classic, country French cuisine. All this trendier-than-thou BS is just so damn annoying.

Well, finally something we can agree on. Who would have thought it would be tapas.

Looks great to me, however untrendy it is. The prices are low compared to the DC restaurant scene. I love sweetbreads, and I love the classic onion soup but find it too heavy to be one course of a dinner, I'd rather have it as a hearty stand-alone, with some crusty baguettes.

There used to be a French place in DC that was our family's go-to special occasion restaurant, and the specialty was something I never see anywhere nowadays-- quenelles de brochet, a poached mousse dumpling made of pike, a fish so bony I guess making a mousse out of it was the best way to eat it.

Edited by BasketBaller

There used to be a French place in DC that was our family's go-to special occasion restaurant, and the specialty was something I never see anywhere nowadays-- quenelles de brochet, a poached mousse dumpling made of pike, a fish so bony I guess making a mouse out of it was the best way to eat it.

Who knew gefilte fish (made of whitefish and pike) was a mousse?:p

Gman

that "classic" french menu is of interest - but to me only as an example of how we constructed french food "back in the day"

my culinary coming of age coincided with the emergence of a newer french cooking which stressed lighter sauces, fresher flavors, simpler preparations in which the excellence of the ingredients was allowed to take center-stage.... think the brothers troisgros.... joel robuchon.... and in america, of course, alice waters.

Can you be more specific? :p

Yes, as in every place has now felt the need to update to a point of food absurdity: Not everything needs to be so trendy.

Simple French cooking never goes out of style, as evidenced by the multitude of great little bistros around Manhattan that have survived well for many years. Two of my very favorites are Le Veau D’or on E 6oth and La Boite en Bois on 68th.

Yes, as in every place has now felt the need to update to a point of food absurdity: Not everything needs to be so trendy.

Simple French cooking never goes out of style, as evidenced by the multitude of great little bistros around Manhattan that have survived well for many years. Two of my very favorites are Le Veau D’or on E 6oth and La Boite en Bois on 68th.

I was thinking "no teeth," but I also agree. One of my favorites was La Petite Auberge at 28th Street and Lexington Avenue in Manhattan (closed for some time now, pity). :(

One remembers Steak pommes Frittes chez George on 56 between 5th and 6th (near the Hilton) before it was town down for the Chippendale Chest.

I have a personal rule.... if Sweetbreads are available, I order them. Love escargot. Good onion soup.

I dont know what red deer is. Venison?

Dont recognize the wine.... is it a bordeaux?

I think the last time I had salad made tableside was La Grenouille... decades ago. Or was that Tartare?

Grands Échezeaux is a Burgundy. The price is incredibly low.