A Cuisine Qustion

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2257 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just got home from another fabulous meal at The Castle restaurant in Leicester, MA.

My question is:

How many of you would go to a restaurant that serves French cuisine that's from ca. 1950?

Sweetbreads, escargot, onion soup ... we had Red Deer at 31 each, in a glace reduction and blueberry sauce.

Ceasar salad made at the table.

A 1988 Grand Escheseaux by Maison Drouhin for $295 (it's my housemate's birthday) that retails for quite a bit more. Many similar wines for equally discounted wines.

Who would go?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero chance that I would eat that particular meal. I’ve tried escargot several times and am not a fan. The thought of sweetbreads sickens me. Onion soup is nice though. :)

I’ve been to several “French inspired” restaurants that I enjoyed, but anytime I’ve gone to an old style French restaurant, I found them stuffy and pretentious.

I just got home from another fabulous meal at The Castle restaurant in Leicester, MA.

My question is:

How many of you would go to a restaurant that serves French cuisine that's from ca. 1950?

Sweetbreads, escargot, onion soup ... we had Red Deer at 31 each, in a glace reduction and blueberry sauce.

A 1988 Grand Escheseaux by Maison Drouhin for $295 (it's my housemate's birthday) that retails for quite a bit more. Many similar wines for equally discounted wines.

Who would go?

Me +1000

My question is:

Who would go?

I have a personal rule.... if Sweetbreads are available, I order them. Love escargot. Good onion soup.

I dont know what red deer is. Venison?

Dont recognize the wine.... is it a bordeaux?

I think the last time I had salad made tableside was La Grenouille... decades ago. Or was that Tartare?

This place, after > 50 years, is probably on its last legs. On a SATURDAY night, there were 4 tables (out of > 20) occupied at 7:00, and no one was there after 9:30.

Any one for Steak Diane or Steak au Poivre, done at tableside?

Or a Graham '83 vintage port of $19?

MENU: http://www.castlerestaurant.com/camelotmenu/

[url=http://www.castlerestaurant.com/camelotmenu/][/url]

They don't publish their wine list, but it is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and we're talkin' Premier Cru (Haut Brion comes to mind).

Zero chance that I would eat that particular meal. I’ve tried escargot several times and am not a fan. The thought of sweetbreads sickens me. Onion soup is nice though. :)

I’ve been to several “French inspired” restaurants that I enjoyed, but anytime I’ve gone to an old style French restaurant, I found them stuffy and pretentious.

I’m with Mikey-I’d go for the onion soup minus the melted cheese on top although I love the crouton. When it comes to cheese, I like mostly pizza and cheesecake.

Gman

My question is:

Who would go?

My opinion? Much of the world has moved on from ca. 1950...No? Might be time to reinvent the place, a fresh coat of paint and a more modern menu. I just got back from dinner at a restaurant that had been around for 30 + years. A few years back it went belly up. No one could understand why. Back in it's hey day, it wasn't fancy, but it was legendary among the locals. Two years to find new owners, and over a year in renovations, including a new menu...Tonight without reservations, the wait was an hour and half to get in....Sometimes a little nip and tuck is just what the doctor ordered.

The menu looks wonderful! Absolutely yes.

I enjoy some of the traditional dishes -- Escargot/Onion Soup/Venison/The Quail all look Good --- And it looks as if they have modernized both menus. All of the Seafood Dishes sound lovely -=-

I would refer to the Menu in the Camelot Room as Fine Dining with Traditional French Highlights == and a Strong Local Seafood Infusion

and the Crusader Room Menu as Nice Diner Menu-- It has no focus or direction -- Onion Rings/Asian Ribs/Chicken Parm?????

All Good

My question is:

Love sweetbreads, escargot, and onion soup. Have never had the deer, but would be willing to try it.

Love classic French. Getting tougher to find these days.

Can you be more specific? :p

Love classic French. Getting tougher to find these days.

Yeah, everything is fusion this & tapas that nowadays. As much as I love my pintxos (the Basque spelling), I absolutely despise this tapas craze. Tapas today are what everybody used to call appetizers. If you want to order two or three, go ahead, nobody's stopping you.

As for the un-trendiness of French cuisine, it bums me out to see classic French cuisine fading from the gastronomic landscape. I simply love classic, country French cuisine. All this trendier-than-thou BS is just so damn annoying.

One of the chapters in "Gulp", by Mary Roach (a whimsical look at the science behind all things involving food & digestion) she talked about the waning popularity of organ meats, and how good they were, nutritionally. I've never had sweetbreads, I'm not exactly sure what organ they are, and I'm honestly not eager to try them.

One of the chapters in "Gulp", by Mary Roach (a whimsical look at the science behind all things involving food & digestion) she talked about the waning popularity of organ meats, and how good they were, nutritionally. I've never had sweetbreads, I'm not exactly sure what organ they are, and I'm honestly not eager to try them.

Thymus glands. If you are one who needs to limit dietary cholesterol, sweetbreads are not a good choice. Brains are about the only food source higher in cholesterol content than sweetbreads.

Edited by Rudynate

My question is:

Who would go?

I’d have the wine but no thanks to the old fashioned food.