Long enough?

GregM
This topic is 2273 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I checked out of the Hilton in Noma DC on the 15th. I've called earlier in the week left a vm for the GM to call me and fix the issue of incidentals not being returned to my cc. I called again today cause GM has not returned my call. He left for the day. I emailed corp and left a review on Yelp and Trip advisor. I've been traveling since I was 19 and have never had this issue. What makes me madder, I stayed at a Wyndam property by Midway on the 11th. That was returned to my card in 2 days. :mad: I use my cc for travel and there is travel I must get done. This makes me 1. Never stay at the Hilton in Noma or 2. Never stay at Hilton period.

Hugs,

Greg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope youve contacted your credit card carrier, opened a dispute, and initiated a chargeback.

When I talked to the hotel today I had the bank on the line as well. The bank says they can't do anything and that's all on the hotel side. Grrr. I made the bank do a conference call and it was a customer service supervisor.

Hugs,

Greg

Hope youve contacted your credit card carrier, opened a dispute, and initiated a chargeback.

@GregM, did they actually charge your card or did they post an authorization that has not yet fallen off? I'm asking because you can't chargeback a charge that has not posted. Based on the response from your bank, it sounds like the latter has occurred. Back in the olden days (like the mid-1990s) a merchant could contact their processor and the processor would contact the issuer to release the hold manually.

It might be time to contact the DC and Illinois attorneys general and file a consumer complaint.

I’d agree with @rvwnsd that filing a dispute withe CC issuer is step one. They should issue you a temporary credit while they investigate. At the same time send a certified letter to the general manager of the hotel explaining exactly what is wrong and exactly what you want done. Be polite and concise. Until someone has refused to do something there is no need to threaten. I guess it depends on what the Incidentals are but there should be signed receipt. Minibar charges are the worst and I usually ask that they remove or lock the fridge. I’ve had properties tell me there is a $x charge to do this! But there is a trick - I tell them I am a recovering alcoholic and my doctor has instructed me to have all alcohol removed from my room; no property has ever refused.

I’ve had similar issues and found that there is usually an overworked clerk buried in the accounting department who has all the information needed to solve the problem. Be very polite to them, explaining why it’s important in personal terms, and my experience is they can be the biggest ally.

@GregM, did they actually charge your card or did they post an authorization that has not yet fallen off? I'm asking because you can't chargeback a charge that has not posted. Based on the response from your bank, it sounds like the latter has occurred. Back in the olden days (like the mid-1990s) a merchant could contact their processor and the processor would contact the issuer to release the hold manually.

It might be time to contact the DC and Illinois attorneys general and file a consumer complaint.

Most preauthorizations go away quite quickly once the final charge gets posted, but I recently had a bad experience with Macys both charging my card and requesting a preauthorization for a mattress set. I was surprised that the preauthorization was listed on my account online until the next bill was issued, when it was finally cleared. Since it didn't impact my spending as I never spend close to my credit limit, I didn't do anything about it but it seemed very odd to me to tie up over a thousand dollars of someone's credit for close to one month when the actual charge had already posted.

It's a pending charge. Which means the funds are on hold.

Hugs,

Greg

It's a pending charge. Which means the funds are on hold.

Hugs,

Greg

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/heres-why-hotels-put-that-mysterious-hold-your-credit-card/

Lots of info on avoiding the problem but not much on resolving it once it's happened: “Completing the transaction is the best way to remove the hold,” says credit card expert Kevin Haney of A.S.K. Benefit Solutions. “The merchant charges the account for the final amount. The bank then releases the hold.

One bit of advice: Ask for a temporary credit-line increase. While this doesn't avoid holds, it's one tactic to cope. If you're going to be traveling and suspect that holds might eat up your available credit line, you can ask a credit card issuer to bump up your credit line for the duration of your trip.

In theory the hold is supposed to be removed once the final charge is settled and posted.

Most preauthorizations go away quite quickly once the final charge gets posted, but I recently had a bad experience with Macys both charging my card and requesting a preauthorization for a mattress set. I was surprised that the preauthorization was listed on my account online until the next bill was issued, when it was finally cleared. Since it didn't impact my spending as I never spend close to my credit limit, I didn't do anything about it but it seemed very odd to me to tie up over a thousand dollars of someone's credit for close to one month when the actual charge had already posted.

As @Keith30309 said, the authorization is typically “replaced” with the actual charge when it is settled. However, if the authorization was for incidentals and none were purchased, there won’t be a charge to settle. In my own experience with prepaid hotel bills and those paid with points the hotel closes the folio and within a few days the charge falls off, i.e. when the zero dollar amount transaction makes its way to the card issuer.

The idea of contacting the hotel requesting a temporary line increase is a good one. You might want to start with the dispute department and explain that you want either the line increase or the auth to be dropped. It sounds like this is your only card, so it wouldn’t hurt to remind them that you are a loyal cardholder who uses them as your exclusive credit provider. Then, apply for another card at a different bank. It doesn’t hurt to have a backup card. Also, it helps you gauge your bank’s service. You shouldn’t have to jump through these hoops.

Am I the only one who clicked on this link thinking it was about penises? Guess I'm depraved :) Still an interesting subject though. Thai airways did this to me over an aborted ticket purchase on their putrid website. The hold stayed on my cc almost a month, very annoying.

A shameless plug:

I've found American Express to be the best when it comes to disputed charges. When I've had to dispute something, they take the charge off IMMEDIATELY and then investigate.

But that would be usual for a company that built itself on service. In years past, if you had to send a snail mail to someone in a foreign country, you just sent it to the local Amex office, and they'd hold it.

A shameless plug:

I've found American Express to be the best when it comes to disputed charges. When I've had to dispute something, they take the charge off IMMEDIATELY and then investigate.

But that would be usual for a company that built itself on service. In years past, if you had to send a snail mail to someone in a foreign country, you just sent it to the local Amex office, and they'd hold it.

+1

Amex is great for disputes... to the point where I have an iffy situation where I have reason to expect an issue I use my Amex rather than a Visa (where I might accumulate more valuable points.) I always use Amex for rental cars, despite the fact that other cards now have the same insurance protection.

My experience too. That's why..... I don't leave home without it. Last time (2 years ago) I disputed a charge on my statement for cab in Miami, the return from my hotel back to the airport, which are flat fees. It was double the charge. They took it off, and I never saw a new charge for the correct fare on my statement.

A shameless plug:

Yup! Their service is excellent. Additionally, they have merchant programs that help avoid problems like this one. That helps the cardholder because they never experience the problem.

I was on tour with two college choirs. We were supposed to fly Boston-Shannon and then bus to Galway.

Aer Lingus decided to cancel the flight, so 25 of us were left behind, while the other 25 were routed to Dublin ... via Paris.

We got to Paris, and Aer Lingus had no record of who we were or why we were there. Watching a Parisian lady decompensate when she was told we had no tickets or boarding passes (but our luggage had been checked through!), was worth the price of admission.

I was ready to schedule a flight on my own, via London and slow boat if necessary, and it was nice to know that American Express would be there for me.

My experience with Hiltons is they are a chain that does not value customer service. We have stopped staying in Hiltons

I've never had a problem with them, and in general my experiences have been good. I was stuck in a Hilton property in Alexandria during the Jan 2016 snow storm in DC. The staff were great, putting on refreshments, food and other services for guests. When I was due to depart, they arranged a Uber to the airport when the local taxis didn't arrive. I suspect this was down to an individual staff member rather than the chain, but often our impressions of corporate entities are down to individuals not the company.

My experience with Hiltons is they are a chain that does not value customer service. We have stopped staying in Hiltons

I guess it depends on the facility. They may bear the Hilton brand but it may still be managed by the employees that were kept when it was acquired by Hilton. I’ve stayed at Hilton hotels before and jave never experienced issues like GregM’s. Same goes for United Airlines. Neary everyone I kmow hates United but it’s the only airline I use. At least 90% of the time. My flights always left and arrived early or on time. And I’ve only visited bigger cities where you’d expect issues while traveling. I’ve traveled with Delta and that was a mistake.