Happy Australia Day - 26 January

Avalon
This topic is 2165 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Day

I don't know if we have any Aussies here but if we do happy holiday!

I’m wondering if this is the last year that Australia Day will be held on that particular date. There’s quite a lot of heated debates about changing the date at the moment, and I expect that to intensify over the next 12 months. It’s to do with Aboriginal folks feeling marginalised by the particular date, which they and their supporters refer to as “invasion day”, in that January 26th, in 1788 was the day when British Captain Phillip and the First Fleet arrived in Sydney to set up a colony. I myself don’t support changing the date, but I think it should be changed, just to head off the furious debate around it. I can see this issue utilising all the political oxygen over the next two years, and it will end up dragging in the preoccupation of the Federal government, which I don’t want. I think the job of the government is to govern, and not get caught up in minor peripheral society issues.

Edited by Bertster

I’m wondering if this is the last year that Australia Day will be held on that particular date. There’s quite a lot of heated debates about changing the date at the moment, and I expect that to intensify over the next 12 months. It’s to do with Aboriginal folks feeling marginalised by the particular date, which they and their supporters refer to as “invasion day”, in that January 26th, in 1788 was the day when British Captain Phillip and the First Fleet arrived in Sydney to set up a colony. I myself don’t support changing the date, but I think it should be changed, just to head off the furious debate around it. I can see this issue utilising all the political oxygen over the next two years, and it will end up dragging in the preoccupation of the Federal government, which I don’t want. I think the job of the government is to govern, and not get caught up in minor peripheral society issues.

Here in the USA similarly celebrating Columbus Day - 12 October - has become a thing of the past.

Of course we do. @mike carey

There's several of us here!

I believe January 26th was yesterday in Australia.

Fuck them. Can't they even learn to use the same calendar, goddamn it. ;)

Lol, of course we have learnt to use the same calendar as you, you're just behind the times. I see this anytime I fly to LA, I arrive there before I'd left Sydney. As for flying back, a whole day vanishes somewhere!

As @Bertster noted, the characterisation of the day as Invasion Day and therefore a day of at least reflection, if not mourning, is becoming increasingly prevalent. I doubt it will happen soon. I have no doubt that something needs to change, but I'd prefer to see the day be made more inclusive and address that sensitivity. Solemn reflective and commemorative ceremonies in the morning, with the happy celebrations (including naturalisation ceremonies) held over until the afternoon and evening. The day itself is a perfect way to mark the end of the summer holidays, and for the country to shift back into 'serious' mode. I agree that in some ways it's a peripheral issue, but to me part of the government's job is to identify such issues that have the potential to be deeply divisive and nip them in the bud. This is an issue that has the potential, like equal marriage, to become a big issue if it's ignored or dismissed.

Anyway, I went to the supermarket and bought a lump of roast lamb to mark the day, and watched Australia (finally) beat England in a one-day cricket match.

Edited by mike carey

Nothing wrong with our calendar down under - we are just many hours ahead of the USA. However we are not the first nation to see the dawn of each new day.

Our local indigenous people call Australia Day (the day the First Fleet Landed at Sydney Cove) as Invasion Day, so its a bit of a contentious issue here. I note Avalon's comments above - I think that we need to be more supportive of the Aboriginal People, and find another day to celebrate our National Identity. However in a democracy its hard to please everyone.

When I was a youngster the day used to be Mondayised - that is the public holiday fell on a Monday as close to Jan 26 as possible - I always remember the media doing interviews in the streets - do you know what today is - yes Thursday why - its Jan 26 - so what - now we celebrate on the actual day.

I worked a night shift last night Australia/ Invasion Day and it was very busy - lots of drunks - domestic violence and a murder or two ...

• 3 months later...