The less-attractive child

samhexum
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've always wondered what it was like to have a sibling who's well-known for being handsome/beautiful or sexy when you're, well, not. Chad Lowe and Randy Quaid come to mind. I suppose Shirley MacLaine could chime in on the subject as well. Tyne Daly too, depending on how you feel about Tim.

I suppose I should ask my sister one day if this has been a burden for her to bear. :):D:p:cool::rolleyes:;)

A little background on Kutcher and his brother, from his Wikipedia page.....

Kutcher was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to Diane (née Finnegan), a Procter & Gamble employee, and Larry M. Kutcher, a factory worker.[4][5] His father is of Czech descent, while his mother is of Czech, German, and Irish ancestry.[6][7]

Kutcher was raised in a "relatively conservative" Catholic family.[8] He has an older sister named Tausha and a fraternal twin brother named Michael, who had a heart transplant when the brothers were young children. Michael also has cerebral palsy and is a spokesperson for the advocacy organization Reaching for the Stars.[9]Michael's cardiomyopathy caused Kutcher's home life to become increasingly stressful. He has said he "didn't want to come home and find more bad news" about his brother, stating, "I kept myself so busy that I didn't allow myself to feel."[10]

Kutcher attended Washington High School in Cedar Rapids for his freshman year, before his family moved to Homestead, Iowa, where he attended Clear Creek Amana High School. During high school, he developed a passion for acting and appeared in school plays. His home life worsened when his parents divorced when he was 16. During his senior year, he broke into his high school at midnight with his cousin in an attempt to steal money; he was arrested leaving the scene. Kutcher was convicted of third-degree burglary and sentenced to three years' probation and 180 hours of community service. Kutcher stated that although the experience "straightened him out", he lost his girlfriend and anticipated college scholarships, and was ostracized at school and in his community.[11]

Kutcher enrolled at the University of Iowa in August 1996, where his planned major was biochemical engineering, motivated by the desire to find a cure for his brother's heart ailment.[5] At college, Kutcher was kicked out of his apartment for being too "noisy" and "wild".[12] Kutcher stated, "I thought I knew everything but I didn't have a clue. I was partying, and I woke up many mornings not knowing what I had done the night before. I played way too hard. I am amazed I am not dead."[13] To earn money for his tuition, Kutcher worked as a college summer hire in the cereal department for the General Mills plant in Cedar Rapids, and sometimes sold his blood.[14] While at the University of Iowa, he was approached by a model scout at a bar called The Airliner in Iowa City, Iowa,[15] and was recruited to enter the "Fresh Faces of Iowa" modeling competition. After placing first, he dropped out of college and won a trip to New York City to the International Modeling and Talent Association (IMTA) Convention. After his stay in New York City, Kutcher returned to Cedar Rapids, before relocating to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting.[12]

I've always wondered what it was like to have a sibling who's well-known for being handsome/beautiful or sexy when you're, well, not. Chad Lowe and Randy Quaid come to mind. I suppose Shirley MacLaine could chime in on the subject as well. Tyne Daly too, depending on how you feel about Tim.

I suppose I should ask my sister one day if this has been a burden for her to bear. :):D:p:cool::rolleyes:;)

It sucks.... same genetic pool yet I was the only one Irish a block away and called the N word in the 40's and 50's while my siblings of same 100% Irish blood would pass as white I didn't.

Edited by marylander1940

I'm the youngest of three males. The eldest got the smarts and self-confidence, I got the minimal metabolism, and the middle brother got the looks, and even today he is the one with the full head of hair. His pep talk to me was "I got the looks in the family, but you carry the weight." It's every bit as funny now as it was then. :mad:

I've had a crush on Tim Daly since his Wings days.

I've had a crush on Tim Daly since his Wings days.

I saw Tim Daly in a production of Born on the Fourth of July at a theater in Providence in 1979. Seems this might have been one of his first lead roles. He was very good and very hot and I recall watching with a sigh as I walked behind him as he went back to his hotel. Not really stalking just star struck.

As to Aston Kutcher, he majored in biochemical engineering to help find a cure for his brother's heart condition but left school to pursue a modeling career. What dedication to his brother.

"I will find a cure for you.....wait a second they want my picture. See ya."

Let's be honest, Ashton Kutcher has never seemed like the sharpest tool in the shed.

I don't know about his situation with his brother. No one does and it's a pretty personal matter, however, Ashton is far far from stupid. Have you ever seen him interviewed?

He has often been cast as a dumb bimbo because of his looks, but looks can be deceiving. What is not mentioned below is that he was an early investor and a promoter of Acorns. A really nifty way to make small incremental investments in the stock market with low touch index funds. They only charge $1 per month to manage. He is also and owner/sponsor of a entrepreneur's incubator.

I actually admire him quite a bit.

From Wikipedia:

Beyond the entertainment world, Kutcher is also a venture capitalist. Kutcher has also successfully invested in several high technology startups. Kutcher has investments in over 60 companies, the most prominent of which include Skype, Foursquare, Airbnb, Path and Fab.com. Kutcher has invested in five startups as of August 2017 - Neighborly, Zenreach, ResearchGate, Kopari Beauty, and most recently, Lemonade, marking his foray into the "insurtech" sector.He is a co-founder of the venture capital firm A-Grade Investments with Guy Oseary and Ron Burkle and fund manager Chris Hollod. At SXSW on March 14, 2015, Kutcher announced Sound Ventures, the successor to A-Grade Investments managing a fund backed by institutional funding.

On October 29, 2013, Lenovo announced that it hired Kutcher as product engineer. Kutcher was part of the management team for Ooma, a tech start-up launched in September 2007. Ooma is in the Voice over Internet Protocol business and Kutcher's role was as Creative Director. He spearheaded a marketing campaign and produced viral videos to promote this service. Kutcher also created an interactive arm of Katalyst called Katalyst Media, with his partner from Katalyst Films, Jason Goldberg. Their first site was the animated cartoon Blah Girls. Ooma revamped its sales and marketing strategy with a new management team in the summer of 2008, replacing Kutcher as their creative director. Rich Buchanan, from Sling Media, became Ooma's Chief Marketing Officer.

There are four males in my generation in my family-my older brother, my older cousin, me, and my younger cousin. In terms of attractiveness my older cousin was a real hottie when he was young-kind of a Tom Selleck type. When my sister was in college, she happened to meet someone who went to my cousin’s high school. She asked the girl whether she knew my cousin. The girl said yes and assured my sister he was still very good looking. She told the girl, “He’s my cousin. I don’t care what he looks like.” He’s not as cute now at the age of 60, but the bones are there.

My brother was also considered at least moderately handsome. He’s also just now really getting thin hair at the age of 63 when I’ve been bald since the age of 28.

Even considering my cousin’s loss of looks, I am by far #4 in terms of being least attractive. I am the fattest and third shortest. I am also the least successful by a long shot.

Gman

Doesn't third shortest of four make you the second tallest? Are you sure your self-image isn't part of the problem here?

I don’t think so-but maybe I said it wrong. The order of heights goes my cousin who is 6’, my brother who is 5’11”, me at 5’9”, and my youngest cousin at 5’8”.

Gman