Wild life New Jersey

purplekow
This topic is 2282 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

i live in suburban New Jersey near the ocean, There are lots of houses and open spaces are a diminishing resource. Still and all nature does prevail. In the course of my travels today I saw a large red tailed hawk feasting on carrion in the parking lot of place of work, a pair of bald eagles looping over the open space that used to be an army fort and I came home to find a coyote in my drive way. He ambled under a large pine tree in my front yard and I stayed in my car for about 10 minutes and then positioned the car to flash my headlights under the tree and the coyote was nowhere to be seen.

Who said there is wild life in the suburbs of NJ.

Yes, fascinating animals, and very adaptable. Sad to say, but when I lived in LA in the foothills, Coyotes would routinely wander the neighborhood at night. They had absolutely no fear of humans. They would hide between the parked cars and snatch small dogs off the leash of unsuspecting owners. My neighbor had her small poodle torn away from her by a coyote. It was a pretty traumatic experience. Sometimes I would see them standing in the middle of the street watching me. My dog was fairly large, so I never had a problem, but I gave them their space.

i live in suburban New Jersey near the ocean, There are lots of houses and open spaces are a diminishing resource. Still and all nature does prevail. In the course of my travels today I saw a large red tailed hawk feasting on carrion in the parking lot of place of work, a pair of bald eagles looping over the open space that used to be an army fort and I came home to find a coyote in my drive way. He ambled under a large pine tree in my front yard and I stayed in my car for about 10 minutes and then positioned the car to flash my headlights under the tree and the coyote was nowhere to be seen.

Who said there is wild life in the suburbs of NJ.

I'm still wondering about the elusive and sometimes challenging animals better known as....

MOBMOBS.png

I live in a fairly large city in upstate New York, and recently I was startled by a report of a black bear siting in a fairly busy section of the city. As civilization continues to encroach upon the wild, I guess we humans are going to have to adapt to sharing more of the planet.

Yes, fascinating animals, and very adaptable. Sad to say, but when I lived in LA in the foothills, Coyotes would routinely wander the neighborhood at night. They had absolutely no fear of humans.

Yeah, when I lived in an LA exurb, at the edge of wilderness, they were a constant presence. When I'd leave for work at 4:30am I'd routinely chase one down the street. They're completely fearless about humans but those boogers have developed breed awareness of headlights.

when forum members have a few minutes, read about one of the great adaptations to urban living:

https://urbancoyoteinitiative.com/10-fascinating-facts-about-urban-coyotes/

jaymi-heimbuch-_JH_3735-76-1.jpg

Puppy!

I lived in an urban neighborhood in Mid-City San Diego and would occasionally see a coyote ambling down the street at night. Closer to the edge of canyons one could see them during the day. Scary.

What's really driving this comeback is that people don't have outdoor cats any more. Housecats are major predators and were killing off these larger animals' food. I grew up in Jersey in the 70s/80s and back then the only birds I ever saw were robins and crows(and these crows were much bigger than housecats). Then sometime in the 90s either by fashion or regulation people started keeping their cats inside and I saw all manner of birds I had no idea were native.

I used to live in an area of suburban New Jersey overrun by deer and turkeys, where I saw a wider variety of and more wildlife than I ever did in upstate New York. (I live in a more urban New Jersey location now.) We even had a turkey nest in a planter between the garage and front steps. But I never saw a coyote.

I have encountered coyotes several times here in Palm Springs. One time I saw a coyote and a big bird fighting over something on the grounds of a nearby church. Another time I was walking up a major street and a coyote passed me on the sidewalk coming the other way; we nodded to one another. Twice from my living room I saw a large coyote in my yard on the other side of my pool; we just stared at one another, but as soon as I moved, he ran away and leaped over my wall onto the street. In my new house on the edge of the desert, I sometimes hear the pups howling on the other side of the wall at night.