Russia bans satirical movie about Stalin's death

marylander1940

This topic is 1371 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Russia's Culture Ministry on Tuesday banned the satirical film The Death of Stalin from Russian theaters after politicians and prominent film figures criticized it for mocking Russian history.

The ministry said it decided to pull the movie's license because it contained "information whose distribution is legally banned in Russia," according to AFP news agency.

The film by Scottish writer-director Armando Iannucci, based on a French graphic novel of the same name, comically portrays the power struggle after Soviet leader Josef Stalin's death in 1953. It premiered in September at the Toronto International Film Festival and was set to open in Russia Thursday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/01/23/russia-bans-death-stalin-movie-theaters/1058528001/

Ps: I'm not sure if this belongs in this section, after all is not a post about a specific movie but about its banning by an authoritarian regime.

Liberal, born and raised in Maryland, proud member of pink pistols!

Ignore list: WilliamM

Russia's Culture Ministry on Tuesday banned the satirical film The Death of Stalin from Russian theaters after politicians and prominent film figures criticized it for mocking Russian history.

The ministry said it decided to pull the movie's license because it contained "information whose distribution is legally banned in Russia," according to AFP news agency.

The film by Scottish writer-director Armando Iannucci, based on a French graphic novel of the same name, comically portrays the power struggle after Soviet leader Josef Stalin's death in 1953. It premiered in September at the Toronto International Film Festival and was set to open in Russia Thursday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/01/23/russia-bans-death-stalin-movie-theaters/1058528001/

Ps: I'm not sure if this belongs in this section, after all is not a post about a specific movie but about its banning by an authoritarian regime.

Im sure the producer(s) are going to send the Culture Ministry a few cases of Stoli. The publicity from this must be priceless.

“Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

-The Marx Brothers

Armando Iannucci is the creator of VEEP, so its safe to assume the satire is biting and hilarious - I look forward to seeing it.

Hell hath no fury like a white conservative confronted with the unvarnished history of slavery and racism in America.

"Glory to Stalin"- NOT!!!

Edited by Guy Fawkes

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" ["Animal Farm"]

" ... my library was dukedom large enough" [Prospero - "The Tempest" Act 1, Scene 2]