Interesting Presentation...cute as a button !

Kippy

This topic is 1373 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Doesn't surprise me that there are some gay social conservatives.

It would surprise me if there are a lot of them as they'd probably be getting shoved away by the majority of social conservatives as well as by the majority of gays. If they want to be "out" in both groups, I expect they'd need to build up some pretty strong armor and develop an ability to shove back. Perhaps belligerence would be a useful, if not necessary, quality to have.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for some examples. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

Doesn't surprise me that there are some gay social conservatives.

It would surprise me if there are a lot of them as they'd probably be getting shoved away by the majority of social conservatives as well as by the majority of gays. If they want to be "out" in both groups, I expect they'd need to build up some pretty strong armor and develop an ability to shove back. Perhaps belligerence would be a useful, if not necessary, quality to have.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for some examples. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I basically agree with him, just on the other side. I am confident there are many of them, as there are many of us. Being gay is not what defines my political agenda.

When a leftist comes out as gay, politicians and celebrities trip all over themselves to publicly extol the person for their courage, bravery, and heroism. When Guy Benson came out as gay (he actually went public a while ago), the public responses were fairly subdued. Lefty politicians & celebrities mostly stayed quiet. Conservatives responses were more along the lines of "don't really understand why this is a thing." Privately, however, Benson said he was overwhelmed by a flood of support.

Let's be frank, I'm sure many conservatives were quiet about their support because they fear a backlash from religious conservatives. The other side of the coin is that conservatives don't much care for virtue-signaling. Obsessive self-congratulations for leftists is a need that ranks right up there with food, water and oxygen. For conservatives, meh, take or leave it, although they usually leave it.

My ignore list:  marylander1940, MiamiLooker, stevenkesslar

It's important to make a distinction between today's neo-Conservative Republican party (Social Conservatives) and the Classic Conservative such as Barry Goldwater. After all, Goldwater advocated gay marriage back in the 1980's. He also asserted that citizens have a “constitutional right to be gay,” and that they should be allowed to serve in the military. Goldwater even tried to pass a federal law prohibiting job discrimination against gays. Classical Conservatives believe in small government, a balanced budget, a strong military, personal liberty, and individual responsibility. Government needs to stay out of peoples' sex lives, he said. He despised people like Pat Robertson and said of Social Conservatives: "I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of “conservatism.” I can certainly understand why a gay person might be a classic conservative; I have more difficulty understanding why a gay person would align himself/herself with the likes of Rick Santorum, Franklin Graham, and Tony Perkins. As the saying goes: a gay person who votes for a Social Conservative is like a chicken who votes for Colonel Sanders. I have no doubt that if Barry Goldwater, "Mr. Conservative," came back today he would have no use for the Religious Right, Fox News, or Donald Trump. Some liberals are way more intrusive in people's lives and far more rigid in their thinking than some conservatives ever thought of being.

It's important to make a distinction between today's neo-Conservative Republican party (Social Conservatives) and the Classic Conservative such as Barry Goldwater.

Barry Goldwater voted against the Civil Right Act of 1964. He did moderate his views after his presidential defeat in 1964. But his political views in 1964 were far right-wing.

Goldwater made no effort to balance the '64 ticket when he chose Rep. Bill Miller from New York as his running mate.

It's important to make a distinction between today's neo-Conservative Republican party (Social Conservatives) and the Classic Conservative such as Barry Goldwater. After all, Goldwater advocated gay marriage back in the 1980's. He also asserted that citizens have a “constitutional right to be gay,” and that they should be allowed to serve in the military. Goldwater even tried to pass a federal law prohibiting job discrimination against gays. Classical Conservatives believe in small government, a balanced budget, a strong military, personal liberty, and individual responsibility. Government needs to stay out of peoples' sex lives, he said. He despised people like Pat Robertson and said of Social Conservatives: "I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of “conservatism.” I can certainly understand why a gay person might be a classic conservative; I have more difficulty understanding why a gay person would align himself/herself with the likes of Rick Santorum, Franklin Graham, and Tony Perkins. As the saying goes: a gay person who votes for a Social Conservative is like a chicken who votes for Colonel Sanders. I have no doubt that if Barry Goldwater, "Mr. Conservative," came back today he would have no use for the Religious Right, Fox News, or Donald Trump. Some liberals are way more intrusive in people's lives and far more rigid in their thinking than some conservatives ever thought of being.

I believe Goldwater said "all good Christians ought to kick Falwell right in the ass"

“Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

-The Marx Brothers

I basically agree with him, just on the other side. I am confident there are many of them, as there are many of us. Being gay is not what defines my political agenda.

I agree with him too though, as you say, our politics don't match.

Being gay has been part of who I am for over half a century, though I've been other things too, not all of which fit stereotypical gay patterns. I've valued that freedom of choice since long before he was born.

I do think it's easier and more common to be gay and liberal than it is to be gay and conservative. I've never heard liberals say that being gay should be illegal, but I have heard some conservatives say that.

I wouldn't personally want to hang out with folks who want me converted or punished but, if he does, who am I to stand in his way? http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

I agree with him too though, as you say, our politics don't match.

Being gay has been part of who I am for over half a century, though I've been other things too, not all of which fit stereotypical gay patterns. I've valued that freedom of choice since long before he was born.

I do think it's easier and more common to be gay and liberal than it is to be gay and conservative. I've never heard liberals say that being gay should be illegal, but I have heard some conservatives say that.

I wouldn't personally want to hang out with folks who want me converted or punished but, if he does, who am I to stand in his way? http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

What you call liberal and leftists in this country, is called center or center-right in most of the Western world. Back in my 20s I was an activist in Argentinean left. I was enrolled in a pro-gay Trotskyist group in my last years as a leftist, but before I have been enrolled with groups that would criticize homosexuality. In my political view at that moment, fighting for basic social and civil rights for everyone (we were getting out of a military dictatorship) was more important than the civil rights os a specific group. Another example, I am a supporter of the Cuban revolution despite my many differences throughout the years, one of them Castro's policies towards homosexuals until the 90s.

I may or may not enjoy hanging out with a homophobe, it depends on his/her points of view on many other issues.