And the Oscar 2018 nominees are:

marylander1940
This topic is 2258 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Martin McDonagh not getting nominated for Director was lame. 3 Billboards' chances of winning best pic pretty much died after that. It'll most likely be a Shape Of Water sweep in the technical categories + director & pic... yawn.

McDonagh's chances in original screenplay probably increased tho, same with McDormand's chances in the lead actress category <3

Go Timmy, Sam, & Laurie!

• 2 weeks later...

By this afternoon, I would have seen all nominated films, YAY...

“Call Me by Your Name”

“Darkest Hour”

“Dunkirk”

“Get Out”

“Lady Bird”

“Phantom Thread”

“The Post”

“The Shape of Water”

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

I don't anticipate that "Darkest Hour," which is what I'll be watching in a couple of hours, is going to be my favorite. I think that the race is going to be between "The Shape of Water" and "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." It's been a while since I gasped at the movies, and I gasped, quite a few times in the latter. Ultimately, it's a laudable effort, but one I find hard to care for. "The Shape of Water," on the other hand, was a magical movie. It was a technical feat and I bought every minute of it. And this is not the kind of movie I usually like.

"Phantom Thread" was funny, in a campy way. I'm not convinced that it was meant to be funny, though. Still, I liked it. A lot.

"The Post" should be getting move love, and after "Call Me By Your Name," it's my favorite of this list. Perhaps, people felt that the deck was too stacked? Spielberg, Streep, Hanks, and all of the other actors, screaming prestige.

"Lady Bird" was nice. I tremendously enjoyed Laurie Metcalfe, and Saoirsie Ronan - boy, she will probably surpass La Streep in accumulated Oscar acting nominations. Only 23 and on her 3rd already? And she has yet to come to her potential too. Still, the movie is a little slight...

"Get Out' was a genre-bending gem. I enjoyed it, but it does not have a chance.

"Dunkirk" was supposed to be Nolan's big Oscar play for film and directing. It's the Hilary Clinton of this year's movies. Next time, perhaps.

I wish "Call Me By Your Name" would win, but I'd be happy if James Ivory and Sufjan Stevens win in their respective categories.

WILL WIN: The Shape of Water

SHOULD WIN: The Post

WHAT I WANT TO WIN: Call Me By Your Name

Edited by LoveNDino

By this afternoon, I would have seen all nominated films, YAY...

“Call Me by Your Name”

“Darkest Hour”

“Dunkirk”

“Get Out”

“Lady Bird”

“Phantom Thread”

“The Post”

“The Shape of Water”

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

I don't anticipate that "Darkest Hour," which is what I'll be watching in a couple of hours, is going to be my favorite. I think that the race is going to be between "The Shape of Water" and "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." It's been a while since I gasped at the movies, and I gasped, quite a few times in the latter. Ultimately, it's a laudable effort, but one I find hard to care for. "The Shape of Water," on the other hand, was a magical movie. It was a technical feat and I bought every minute of it. And this is not the kind of movie I usually like.

"Phantom Thread" was funny, in a campy way. I'm not convinced that it was meant to be funny, though. Still, I liked it. A lot.

"The Post" should be getting move love, and after "Call Me By Your Name," it's my favorite of this list. Perhaps, people felt that the decked was too stacked? Spielberg, Streep, Hanks, and all of the other actors, screaming prestige.

"Lady Bird" was nice. I tremendously enjoyed Laurie Metcalfe, and Saoirsie Ronan - boy, she will probably surpass La Streep in accumulated Oscar acting nominations. At 23 and on her 3rd already? And she has yet to come to her potential too. Still, the movie is a little slight...

"Get Out' was a genre-bending gem. I enjoyed it, but it does not have a chance.

"Dunkirk" was supposed to be Nolan's big Oscar play for film and directing. It's the Hilary Clinton of this year's movies. Next time, perhaps.

I wish "Call Me By Your Name" would win, but I'd be happy if James Ivory and Sufjan Stevens win in their respective categories.

WILL WIN: The Shape of Water

SHOULD WIN: The Post

WHAT I WANT TO WIN: Call Me By Your Name

I was really struck by The Post. A classically good movie, (whatever that means) compared to how modern indie movies are treading such new ground, which I'm not complaining about.

The trailer for The Shape of Water blew me away, but I've learned not to invest too much in trailers. I must see that one though!

I was really struck by The Post. A classically good movie, (whatever that means) compared to how modern indie movies are treading such new ground, which I'm not complaining about.

The trailer for The Shape of Water blew me away, but I've learned not to invest too much in trailers. I must see that one though!

It's been a good year. In my humble opinion, there are no dogs on this list. No "Crash!" Remember that dog of a movie that stole the Best Picture win from "Brokeback Mountain?" By the way, "Darkest Hour" made me cry. And yes, Gary Oldman will probably win for this movie.

I'd rank the Best Pic nominees like this if I were an AMPAS voter:

1. 3 Billboards

2. TSOW

3. Ladybird

4. Get Out

5. Phantom Thread

6. CMBYN

7. Dunkirk

8. Darkest Hour

9. The Post

Not bad movies, but I wouldn't watch 5-9 again tbh. 3B won't win on March 4th because there's already a negative campaign being run against it. It's gross, but there's nothing one can do when political correctness is more important than actual quality & art to most people in Hollywood.

It's been a good year. In my humble opinion, there are no dogs on this list. No "Crash!" Remember that dog of a movie that stole the Best Picture win from "Brokeback Mountain?" By the way, "Darkest Hour" made me cry. And yes, Gary Oldman will probably win for this movie.

Not that it makes sense to me as far as movie quality, but the justification for Crash winning best picture was that it won best cast in a motion picture at the SAG awards. So that logic would point to 3BOEM, although that outcome does not result every year, just often. I still haven't seen 3B, but I've read reviews that align with your impression.

I'm still keeping fingers crossed Sufjan will show up wearing metallic balloons or something of that sort. ;)

Not that it makes sense to me as far as movie quality, but the justification for Crash winning best picture was that it won best cast in a motion picture at the SAG awards. So that logic would point to 3BOEM, although that outcome does not result every year, just often. I still haven't seen 3B, but I've read reviews that align with your impression.

I'm still keeping fingers crossed Sufjan will show up wearing metallic balloons or something of that sort. ;)

The overlap of voters between the AMPAS and SAG, is the greatest, so it make sense. However, I heard with preferential voting, 3BOEM is at a disadvantage (it may have its voters putting it in first place, but not a lot would have it as their second or third). In other words, one loves it or hates it. I didn’t hate it - I could never hate a movie with Frances McDormand or Woody Harrelson.

Edited by LoveNDino

• 3 weeks later...