Off-topic posts

bigjoey

This topic is 1358 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

DSOBb8nXcAAhLm4.jpg

Not a joke. Just look at our next president: Oprah. Started at the very bottom but rather than play the “victim card” she built herself a media empire. If a poor black woman born into poverty can do it, anyone can.

A look at the Forbes list of the wealthiest Americans shows similar people working their way to be successful: Gates, Zuckerberg, Dell, etc.

It starts like the slave on the cartoon having the right attitude. Read Viktor Frankl’s writings on “hope.” Life may not have given a person a “fair deal” but how they respond is their choice. President-to-be Oprah did not wallow in her victimhood, but seized hope and moved forward to become successful.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a joke. Just look at our next president: Oprah. Started at the very bottom but rather than play the “victim card” she built herself a media empire. If a poor black woman born into poverty can do it, anyone can.

A look at the Forbes list of the wealthiest Americans shows similar people working their way to be successful: Gates, Zuckerberg, Dell, etc.

It starts like the slave on the cartoon having the right attitude. Read Viktor Frankl’s writings on “hope.” Life may not have given a person a “fair deal” but how they respond is their choice. President-to-be Oprah did not wallow in her victimhood, but seized hope and moved forward to become successful.

This is the thread for the jokes and the fun. Please, BJ do not ruin it with your unsympathetic and unempathetic "victim card" talking point.

If a poor black woman born into poverty can do it, anyone can.

I understand that you're fixated on personal responsibility and victimhood issues to well beyond the point of actual reason, and that you'll lash out with straw men and all other forms of logical fallacy for an opportunity to leap on that soapbox. I'd ask you to set aside your obsessive agenda for a moment, and recognize that while Oprah was indeed became successful anecdotes of hers and others' success do not support such an extreme statement. Oprah's success might include seizing hope, among other factors that have little to do with not wallowing in her victimhood. Untold thousands will seize hope, not wallow in victimhood, and fail. "Anyone can" is a false assumption not supported by logic or fact.

Untold thousands will seize hope, not wallow in victimhood, and fail. "Anyone can" is a false assumption not supported by logic or fact.

The final part of my post should have make it clear what “Anyone can” do: leave victimhood behind, have hope and take action to move forward. Yes, not everyone can be a success but if you do not have hope, your chance of success is zero. No matter what your circumstances, how you respond is your choice.

The BLM people have done just that. Rather than be continual victims of police “oppression,” they have the “hope” of a better future and are taking action to secure that future.

When I refer to “success,” and “hope,” it is just not material rewards but political, spiritual and for human dignity to which I refer.

The final part of my post should have make it clear what “Anyone can” do: leave victimhood behind, have hope and take action to move forward. Yes, not everyone can be a success but if you do not have hope, your chance of success is zero. No matter what your circumstances, how you respond is your choice.

The BLM people have done just that. Rather than be continual victims of police “oppression,” they have the “hope” of a better future and are taking action to secure that future.

When I refer to “success,” and “hope,” it is just not material rewards but political, spiritual and for human dignity to which I refer.

Go away. To your own thread. Shame on you.

Go away. To your own thread. Shame on you.

If someone had posted a cartoon that you found offensive, you you not comment on it and say you did not find it a “joke? These “jokes” are posted in the political section of the site; I know of no rule not to comment on cartoons or jokes in this political forum.

Non offensive, general cartoons and jokes should be posted in the Lounge of this site. The Friday Funnies there should not be controversial and still be humorous.

If you want to read a great speech on “hope,” I suggest you read Dr Martin Luther King, Jr’s speech given the night before he was murdered. Often called “The Mountain Top Speech.”

(Full speech is available on YouTube)

That speech is what Dr King gave people: hope. Victims no more.

Sorry if you and others find that idea so terrifying that it spoils your “joke.”

Untold thousands will seize hope, not wallow in victimhood, and fail. "Anyone can" is a false assumption not supported by logic or fact.

Untold thousands followed Dr King’s message of “hope.” Some followers lost their lives, some went to jail, some were on the receiving end of brutality but they followed the message and did not “fail.” To have been a follower of Dr King was open to “anyone” and “anyones” did succeed. No false assumptions not supported by logic and fact.

If you confine “success” of “hope” to strictly material benefits, then you have a point as seen by TV evangelist promoters; but it goes far beyond that.

If someone had posted a cartoon that you found offensive, you you not comment on it and say you did not find it a “joke? These “jokes” are posted in the political section of the site; I know of no rule not to comment on cartoons or jokes in this political forum.

Non offensive, general cartoons and jokes should be posted in the Lounge of this site. The Friday Funnies there should not be controversial and still be humorous.

If you want to read a great speech on “hope,” I suggest you read Dr Martin Luther King, Jr’s speech given the night before he was murdered. Often called “The Mountain Top Speech.”

(Full speech is available on YouTube)

That speech is what Dr King gave people: hope. Victims no more.

Sorry if you and others find that idea so terrifying that it spoils your “joke.”

Do not be a drama queen.

No, I would not have responded a joke in a thread about jokes with a political debate. Obviously my sense of humor and my convictions are stronger than yours.

Let me point that the one who felt threatened by a joke was you.

Which is no justification for actively victimizing people which your current administration does - canceling DACA, no funding for Planned Parenthood, purging voter roles the list goes on and on. You pointed out people who achieved success despite their circumstances, not because of them.

Which is no justification for actively victimizing people which your current administration does - canceling DACA, no funding for Planned Parenthood, purging voter roles the list goes on and on. You pointed out people who achieved success despite their circumstances, not because of them.

Interesting post: “your ...administration.” Not sure why you are putting me into the camp of Trump supporters. I have never supported him, advocated for him or said kindly words about him.

My support for Planned Parenthood has been reflected in many posts. I am in favor of DACA because while those people are here “illegally,” it is through no fault of their own (the lawyer in me wants a criminal law breaker to have “mens rea” or intent). This administration is setting new lows in behavior every day. Its policies hurt people that need to be protected.

Yes, showing people who succeed despite their circumstances is exactly the point. I want lift people up and not keep them down. The question should be how to not only maintain people in a decent social and living standard but to raise them up even higher.

Interesting post: “your ...administration.” Not sure why you are putting me into the camp of Trump supporters. I have never supported him, advocated for him or said kindly words about him.

My support for Planned Parenthood has been reflected in many posts. I am in favor of DACA because while those people are here “illegally,” it is through no fault of their own (the lawyer in me wants a criminal law breaker to have “mens rea” or intent). This administration is setting new lows in behavior every day. Its policies hurt people that need to be protected.

Yes, showing people who succeed despite their circumstances is exactly the point. I want lift people up and not keep them down. The question should be how to not only maintain people in a decent social and living standard but to raise them up even higher.

Your as in the United States ... and not the rest of us

“your ...administration.”

Your as in the United States ... and not the rest of us

+1 to what PG said. Your country elected him, 45 is your president whether you want him or not.

And that cartoon is funny, it depicts a slave who is deluded enough to think that he is a stake holder in that construction project when he is merely a pawn being used. Pretty much an analogy for many of 45's supporters.

bigjoey, while I admire your attempts to preach the power of hope and personal responsibility, I think you're fighting a losing battle here. This board's participants are mostly leftist gay men, in other words, the most zealous members of the Cult of Victimhood. Leftist gays are the most self-pitying beings in the history of the human race. Trying to convince them to reject victimhood is like trying to get Raúl Castro to embrace capitalism. No matter how right you are, you're still wasting your breath.

My ignore list:  marylander1940, MiamiLooker, stevenkesslar

bigjoey, while I admire your attempts to preach the power of hope and personal responsibility, I think you're fighting a losing battle here. This board's participants are mostly leftist gay men, in other words, the most zealous members of the Cult of Victimhood. Leftist gays are the most self-pitying beings in the history of the human race. Trying to convince them to reject victimhood is like trying to get Raúl Castro to embrace capitalism. No matter how right you are, you're still wasting your breath.

you're sounding like a victim

Most guys on here are not leftists. I'd say a lot are maybe Democrats ... you know (we've been over this) right of centre to the rest of the world.

Oh sheesh, this tired old trope again. So most guys on here aren't leftists? Board members overwhelmingly support Obamacare, amnesty for illegal aliens, gun control, and gay marriage, yet you insist they're not leftists *eyeroll*

Look, I'm not going to get into a pissy debate with you about the definition of leftism because it wastes both of our time. I'll continue to refer to the supporters of Obamacare, amnesty, gun control, etc. as "leftists." Feel free to throw a little hissy fit over my use of the term if you like.

Oh sheesh, this tired old trope again. So most guys on here aren't leftists? Board members overwhelmingly support Obamacare, amnesty for illegal aliens, gun control, and gay marriage, yet you insist they're not leftists *eyeroll*

Look, I'm not going to get into a pissy debate with you about the definition of leftism because it wastes both of our time. I'll continue to refer to the supporters of Obamacare, amnesty, gun control, etc. as "leftists." Feel free to throw a little hissy fit over my use of the term if you like.

Most consider 2 standard deviations around the mean as the heart of the bell shaped curve. That leaves about 2.5% to each of the extremes. If you wish to call anyone left of center a leftist, no one will stop you, that is the beauty of the First Amendment. However, Obamacare is the law of the land and there are more than 2.5% of the people supporting it. And by the left of center standard, there are more than 175 million leftists in the US. Using the bell shaped curve, may not depict a truly representative distribution of political thought in the US, so there may be a few more than 2.5% leftists but it is statistically unlikely that most of the members here fall into that extreme, though you seem to see leftists around every corner and every post.

Unfortunately, there are an almost equal number of people who prefer guns, public sanctions for private sexual behavior, health care for only those who can afford it and closed borders to keep the US all Right and all white. I chose to call them, louts, buffoons and UnAmerican. you may disagree as is your right. First Amendment and all that.

I have never seen a purplekow :)

I hope I never see one ;)

But I can tell you this and how I would rather see than be one :D

Help there is a purplekow in my mirror :eek:

Another story comes to mind involving Shirley Chisholm and Rabbi Menachem Schneerson. In 1968, Chisholm became the first black woman elected to Congress. On her arrival, racist, white, male Sothern Democrats assigned her to to an absurd committee for a representative from Brooklyn: the Agriculture Committee (the equivalent of being sent to political Siberia). She had wanted education and labor issues for her focus and she was insulted, frustrated and furious.

The "Rebbe" asked to see her and she went. With his advice, instead seeing herself a victim of racism and wallowing in her unfair, terrible treatment, the "Rebbe" gave her advice:

http://www.chabad.org/therebbe/article_cdo/aid/558041/jewish/Turning-Disappointment-into-Food-for-the-Hungry.htm

Shirley Chisholm turned a negative situtation into a positive one. It goes to Viktor Frankl's idea that no matter what the situtation, a person has the power on how to respond. In Chisolm's own words: "A rabbi who is an optimist taught me that what you think is a challenge is a gift from God."

As she turned from despair to hope, her response was the creation of amazing programs that helped the poor. The challenge the racist, white, male Southern Democrats gave her instead of "sinking" her into despair and victimhood at her treatment gave her a chance to respond to create positive good.

It's not the bad things that are done to us that matter. It is our response that matters.

Edited by bigjoey

Because you seem so completely unaware of what's going on in the rest of the world - outside of the your right-wing bubble of the USA - here are a couple examples of centrist policies (not left wing, but centrist). Universal background checks and strict control over hand guns. Universal public health insurance. At least a year of paid maternity/paternity leave after the birth/adoption of a child. Extensive access to license low-cost childcare. Low cost or free tuition to university. These are basic middle of the road policies for any modern democracy - except the United States. The rainbow of your political discussion stretches all the way from blue to violet. Is it any wonder you can't manage to prevent a government shut down. Beyond pathetic, it must be embarrassing.

Because you seem so completely unaware of what's going on in the rest of the world - outside of the your right-wing bubble of the USA - here are a couple examples of centrist policies (not left wing, but centrist). Universal background checks and strict control over hand guns. Universal public health insurance. At least a year of paid maternity/paternity leave after the birth/adoption of a child. Extensive access to license low-cost childcare. Low cost or free tuition to university. These are basic middle of the road policies for any modern democracy - except the United States. The rainbow of your political discussion stretches all the way from blue to violet. Is it any wonder you can't manage to prevent a government shut down. Beyond pathetic, it must be embarrassing.

I am a regular participant on this message board where very few people agree with my Tea Party politics, so I'm baffled that you've concluded that I live in a right-wing bubble. You know what they say, we are so quick to see in others what is true of ourselves. You leap to the conclusion that I live in a groupthink bubble because, well, you know.

Tens of millions of Americans think Obamacare has made healthcare worse in the US. Tens of millions of Americans think that gun control does nothing to curb gun violence, but serves only to strip individuals of their liberty. There are so many of us, in fact, that we were able to wrest the House, the Senate, and the White House away from Pelosi, Reid, and Obama/Clinton *teehee*

Now you know how I and all my Bible & gun-clinging friends define "leftist," and I know how you and all your absinthe-sipping friends in Barcelona define it. Can we move on now??

I am a regular participant on this message board where very few people agree with my Tea Party politics, so I'm baffled that you've concluded that I live in a right-wing bubble. You know what they say, we are so quick to see in others what is true of ourselves. You leap to the conclusion that I live in a groupthink bubble because, well, you know.

Tens of millions of Americans think Obamacare has made healthcare worse in the US. Tens of millions of Americans think that gun control does nothing to curb gun violence, but serves only to strip individuals of their liberty. There are so many of us, in fact, that we were able to wrest the House, the Senate, and the White House away from Pelosi, Reid, and Obama/Clinton *teehee*

Now you know how I and all my Bible & gun-clinging friends define "leftist," and I know how you and all your absinthe-sipping friends in Barcelona define it. Can we move on now??

I thought you lived in the USA? If I was wrong about that I apologize.

Most consider 2 standard deviations around the mean as the heart of the bell shaped curve. That leaves about 2.5% to each of the extremes. If you wish to call anyone left of center a leftist, no one will stop you, that is the beauty of the First Amendment. However, Obamacare is the law of the land and there are more than 2.5% of the people supporting it. And by the left of center standard, there are more than 175 million leftists in the US. Using the bell shaped curve, may not depict a truly representative distribution of political thought in the US, so there may be a few more than 2.5% leftists but it is statistically unlikely that most of the members here fall into that extreme, though you seem to see leftists around every corner and every post.

Unfortunately, there are an almost equal number of people who prefer guns, public sanctions for private sexual behavior, health care for only those who can afford it and closed borders to keep the US all Right and all white. I chose to call them, louts, buffoons and UnAmerican. you may disagree as is your right. First Amendment and all that.

Shhhhh, you are talking over his head.