First openly gay US Winter Olympian doesn’t want Mike Pence there

Avalon

This topic is 1372 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

source:

I support Adam...

Here are some of Mike Pence's most controversial stances on gay rights, abortion, and smoking

Marriage equality and "societal collapse"

It's no secret that Pence stands against expanding rights for gay and lesbian couples. But his distaste for marriage equality goes even further. While he was in Congress arguing against marriage equality, Pence stated that being gay was a choice, and that "societal collapse was always brought about following an advent of the deterioration of marriage and family." In short, Pence said that gay and lesbians being able to marry one another would lead to disastrous outcomes in society.

Pence doesn't think cigarette smoking kills

Against transgender rights

Pence's views on transgender Americans shouldn't be all-too surprising either, given his already controversial views on marriage equality. Yet that doesn't make them any less alarming. Pence was an early opponent of President Barack Obama's directive mandating that schools allow transgender students to use the restrooms that they identify with. Pence has also indicated that he and President-elect Trump intend to "resolve" the order once they're in office.

Supported conversion therapy

So-called "conversion therapy" is a controversial procedure that attempts to change the sexual preferences of gay and lesbian individuals. It is a practice that has been called out by the American Psychological Association as having no basis in medical fact, adding there is "insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation." Several states have already moved to ban the practice.

Opposed repealing "Don't ask, don't tell"

During Bill Clinton's presidency, a policy of allowing gay soldiers to serve in the military was implemented. The popular name of the policy, "don't ask, don't tell," referenced the way in which gay and lesbian soldiers would be acclimated — as long as they didn't say anything, gays and lesbians would be allowed to serve.

In the years following, it became clear that the policy was an unfair practice, a separate-but-unequal way of dealing with the issue. President Obama signed legislation repealing the practice in 2011, but it didn't come about without its detractors, and once again Pence had something to say.

In 2010, before "don't ask, don't tell" was ended, Pence warned that Obama should keep the policy in place. Pence said the policy had been "a successful compromise" since the 1990s, and that we shouldn't risk the readiness or recruitment of our military in "an effort to advance some liberal domestic social agenda."

No women in the military, either

Pence isn't just against gays and lesbians serving openly in the armed forces — he's also been critical of women serving. In the late 90s, before he was in Congress, Pence argued that "the hard truth of our experiment with gender integration [in the military] is that is has been an almost complete disaster for the military and for many of the individual women involved."

He even challenged institutions for suggesting otherwise, including some pretty harsh criticism aimed at Disney's animated feature Mulan. "I suspect that some mischievous liberal at Disney assumes that Mulan's story will cause a quiet change in the next generation's attitude about women in combat," he wrote, "and they just might be right."

Fought against Planned Parenthood and reproductive rights

Most conservative leaders are against any funding to Planned Parenthood, the organization that aims to assist men and women across the country with reproductive health services, including abortion. But Pence took it to another level entirely.

When Republicans took back Congress after the 2010 Tea Party wave, Congressman Pence authored a bill to defund Planned Parenthood, completely removing all federal funding from the group. Pence was even willing to take extreme measures in getting it passed. When asked if he'd be go as far as to shut down government over it, Pence responded in the affirmative: "Of course I am."

Tried to redefine rape

In another attempt to make abortion less accessible, Pence authored a law that tried to limit how and when federal funds for the practice could be used. Under federal law, the only exceptions for which abortion can be performed with federal funds is in case of rape or incest. So Pence attempted to change the definition of rape to include only what he described as "forcible rape."

That definition meant that federal dollars couldn't fund abortions in other instances of rape (for example, where a victim is drugged). Many called Pence out for this action, and the measure was later dropped.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Mike Pence gained notoriety in 2015 for signing the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law. The law made it possible for businesses within the state of Indiana to discriminate against members of the LGBTQ community based on their personal religious beliefs.

Pence did his best to label the law as defending religious freedom. "The Constitution of the United States and the Indiana Constitution both provide strong recognition of the freedom of religion but today, many people of faith feel their religious liberty is under attack by government action," Pence said when he signed the bill.

Edited by bigvalboy

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Personally, I think it would be cool if Adam Rippon not only visited Mike Pence, and greeted him warmly, but also made a big point of publicly offering to assist the Vice President in converting him into a champion figure skater.

It would be interesting to see how that would work out. I have faith that our Vice President would do far better than Tucker Carlson did trying to convert himself into a dancer on DWTS.

RevolvingImmediateArcticduck-size_restricted.gif

qziUKCt.gif

Edited by stevenkesslar

First openly gay U.S. winter olympian???? Did everyone suddenly forget about Johnny Queer in '06???????

I didn't watch the U.S. Figure Skating competition the other day, but from what I read, this guy didn't even score high enough to earn a direct ticket to the Olympics. He placed 4th(?). The guy who actually placed 2nd in the event got screwed in favor of him. Politics & backroom dealings got him the spot on the U.S. team. He should be happy, & concentrate on trying to win a medal for our country. Mike Pence is a monster, infinitely worse than Trump, but who cares if he's there or not?????? He's our VP, get over it....

Radical Independent

First openly gay U.S. winter olympian???? Did everyone suddenly forget about Johnny Queer in '06???????

I didn't watch the U.S. Figure Skating competition the other day, but from what I read, this guy didn't even score high enough to earn a direct ticket to the Olympics. He placed 4th(?). The guy who actually placed 2nd in the event got screwed in favor of him. Politics & backroom dealings got him the spot on the U.S. team. He should be happy, & concentrate on trying to win a medal for our country. Mike Pence is a monster, infinitely worse than Trump, but who cares if he's there or not?????? He's our VP, get over it....

Johnny Weir wasn't out in 2006. Some Olympic sports pick teams on the basis of competition history, not just how athletes perform in the nationals. Spin that however you like, it doesn't amount to cheating the second place finisher at the US Nationals out of a spot he was never guaranteed in the first place.

Edited by quoththeraven

Nobody's free until everybody's free - Fannie Lou Hamer

Avatar courtesy of Chomiji; character drawn by Kazuya Minekura

Johnny Weir wasn't out in 2006. Some Olympic sports pick teams on the basis of competition history, not just how athletes perform in the nationals. Spin that however you like, it doesn't amount to cheating the second place finisher at the US Nationals out of a spot he was never guaranteed in the first place.

It's not "spin" as you call it, it's pointing out the unfairness in the qualifying system & his light sense of entitlement. :) He should be humble & thankful that he was placed on the team after sucking so much @ Nationals.

What's the point of holding U.S. Nationals before World & Olympic events if results will be meaningless & a panel of sport beaurocrats get to choose who makes the cut for the big events & who doesn't?????? This guy didn't even make it on to the podium & made the team, while the guy who EARNED the silver medal got forced out into becoming an alternate. If you think that's fair, cool, but don't expect everyone to feel the same way about it.

Most wouldn't even care enough about this guy if he weren't "the first openly gay U.S. winter Olympian" & pleasant to look at, let's be honest.

Johnny Weir didn't need to be openly gay back then, it was so obvious to everyone that nothing needed to be said about it <3

Radical Independent

I have to attend events all the time with douchebags that I don’t personally like...

Know what I do?....I just avoid them. If they insist on making contact....I politely

excuse myself. It’s easy. You don’t have to love everyone at the party to have a good time.

If I were he, I’d concentrate on trying to finish higher than 4th at the US Nationals,

rather than wasting my time trying to create political drama. Guess which one will pay

your bills better 10 years from now? Does ANYONE know WHO placed 4th at the US

Nationals 10 years ago?....exactly. No one knows...or cares.

Welcome to adulthood skater boy.

Good to see he has specific issues and is able to identify Pence's consistent homophobic policy support - gay conversion therapy ... get out of the 1950's Pence.

I agree. I think he's a well-informed brave young man. I don't see any reason why he loses his right to protest just because he's part of the Olympic team. And I certainly don't think he should have to go to any event and make nice with someone who would happily take away his rights.

LOL, no Johnny Weir didn't flat out say the words "I am gay," but when a guy traipses about in a feather boa, the conclusions to be drawn are about as subtle as a giant neon sign.

I did watch Nationals (am the only big figure skating fan on this board?). And yes, Ross Miner did kind of get screwed. Miner got screwed in that the USFSA builds up Nationals to be a huge all-important competition, but then totally ignores the standings to select the skaters going to the Olympics. But he only kind of got screwed in that the USFSA did issue a statement that selections would be based on body of work. Adam's overall results this season were pretty strong whereas Ross sucked everywhere except Nationals where he had the skate of his life.

This isn't the first time this season that Adam is generating controversy. He pissed a lot of people off when he boldly declared at the start of Nationals that the only way he doesn't go to the Olympics is if the other skaters' mothers comprise the selection committee. After creating all that drama, Adam proceeds to have his worst free program in years. The last minute of his free skate, when he popped two planned triple jumps into singles, were just face-palm pathetic. Now, instead of focusing on the Olympics and on the two most important skating programs of his life, Adam is fabricating more drama. Yes, as others are quick to point out, that is his right. But no one in the skating world will be shocked if Adam bombs in Pyeongchang.

My ignore list:  marylander1940, MiamiLooker, stevenkesslar

But he only kind of got screwed in that the USFSA did issue a statement that selections would be based on body of work.

I think that's the nub of the issue, some sports have a single competition as the sole criterion for Olympic selection, others have wider criteria, and as long as that is the published path to selection people shouldn't get all butt hurt when someone misses out on the basis of that path. Some Australian sports have qualifying times or distances and an athlete's place in the team even if they place at a qualification event is only assured if they also meet that time/distance. Some years ago, Ian Thorpe had a false start at the nationals and failed to qualify for the Olympics when places at the nationals was the only qualifying path. There ensued some creative decisions to get him on the team, and once he was there they reinterpreted the rules to allow them to adjust the events he was in as he was 'on the team'.

LOL, no Johnny Weir didn't flat out say the words "I am gay," but when a guy traipses about in a feather boa, the conclusions to be drawn are about as subtle as a giant neon sign.

I did watch Nationals (am the only big figure skating fan on this board?). And yes, Ross Miner did kind of get screwed. Miner got screwed in that the USFSA builds up Nationals to be a huge all-important competition, but then totally ignores the standings to select the skaters going to the Olympics. But he only kind of got screwed in that the USFSA did issue a statement that selections would be based on body of work. Adam's overall results this season were pretty strong whereas Ross sucked everywhere except Nationals where he had the skate of his life.

This isn't the first time this season that Adam is generating controversy. He pissed a lot of people off when he boldly declared at the start of Nationals that the only way he doesn't go to the Olympics is if the other skaters' mothers comprise the selection committee. After creating all that drama, Adam proceeds to have his worst free program in years. The last minute of his free skate, when he popped two planned triple jumps into singles, were just face-palm pathetic. Now, instead of focusing on the Olympics and on the two most important skating programs of his life, Adam is fabricating more drama. Yes, as others are quick to point out, that is his right. But no one in the skating world will be shocked if Adam bombs in Pyeongchang.

I used to be a big figure skating fan since way back when the Tonya Harding vs Nancy Kerrigan drama broke out <3 My 8th grade teacher used to make us watch NBC nightly news from the prior day in class every day, & the story would lead the broadcast almost everyday for several weeks lol. Bad entertainment journalism in corporate mainstream media has been going on for a very long time, not a new phenomenon now. I'm still a fan, just not as invested now. Team U.S.A. has been sucking for a very long time, the only one worth a damn is Nathan Chen right now, the women are an embarrassment compared to the Asians & the Russians. I don't even bother with them anymore.

But anyway, I watched the male FS performances on YouTube, & it wasn't even close between Mr. Entitlement & Miner. Miner had the 3rd best FS score in Nationals history up to that point, got a standing ovation, & scored his own personal best numbers too. Almost a dream come true for him until the #RiggedSystem kicked in, keeping him off the team.

Rippon skated horribly, fell out of his first jump, & singled those last two jumps at the end, like you said. A total of 3 huge mistakes that should've been a sign to everyone that he's not mentally in the right place/ready to represent us next month. What I hated most was the smug "well, idc because I'm still going to the Olympics no matter what, the fix is already in" look in his face. Because of this, & his drama queen attitude towards Pence, I am now hoping he does horribly @ the Olympics next month. Call me a bitter cunt if you want, but I want the panel of 12 that voted him in to get backlash for picking him over Miner. Watching him in tears could be fun too. :)

Completely agree with the righteous statements from Miner's coach in this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/christinebrennan/2018/01/07/us-figure-skating-pyeongchang-controversy-ross-miner-adam-rippon/1011464001/

"I feel like if U.S. Figure Skating knew they weren’t going to send Ross, it’s really gutless of them to not tell him in advance,” he said in an interview Sunday morning. “You let him spend all this money and time and energy to try and achieve his dream. If you knew he couldn’t make it, why did we fly here, why did we pay for a hotel, why did we pay for training, if it was decided already?”

“How do I continue to teach kids day in and day out with hopes and dreams of making the Olympics? I would tell them work hard and do your job and it will pay off. My little kids all watched last night. Why would they come back to the rink?”

So true, why should anyone care about Nationals now?????? I certainly never will again after this little number.

Radical Independent

I used to be a big figure skating fan since way back when the Tonya Harding vs Nancy Kerrigan drama broke out <3 My 8th grade teacher used to make us watch NBC nightly news from the prior day in class every day, & the story would lead the broadcast almost everyday for several weeks lol. Bad entertainment journalism in corporate mainstream media has been going on for a very long time, not a new phenomenon now. I'm still a fan, just not as invested now. Team U.S.A. has been sucking for a very long time, the only one worth a damn is Nathan Chen right now, the women are an embarrassment compared to the Asians & the Russians. I don't even bother with them anymore.

But anyway, I watched the male FS performances on YouTube, & it wasn't even close between Mr. Entitlement & Miner. Miner had the 3rd best FS score in Nationals history up to that point, got a standing ovation, & scored his own personal best numbers too. Almost a dream come true for him until the #RiggedSystem kicked in, keeping him off the team.

Rippon skated horribly, fell out of his first jump, & singled those last two jumps at the end, like you said. A total of 3 huge mistakes that should've been a sign to everyone that he's not mentally in the right place/ready to represent us next month. What I hated most was the smug "well, idc because I'm still going to the Olympics no matter what, the fix is already in" look in his face. Because of this, & his drama queen attitude towards Pence, I am now hoping he does horribly @ the Olympics next month. Call me a bitter cunt if you want, but I want the panel of 12 that voted him in to get backlash for picking him over Miner. Watching him in tears could be fun too. :)

Completely agree with the righteous statements from Miner's coach in this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/christinebrennan/2018/01/07/us-figure-skating-pyeongchang-controversy-ross-miner-adam-rippon/1011464001/

"I feel like if U.S. Figure Skating knew they weren’t going to send Ross, it’s really gutless of them to not tell him in advance,” he said in an interview Sunday morning. “You let him spend all this money and time and energy to try and achieve his dream. If you knew he couldn’t make it, why did we fly here, why did we pay for a hotel, why did we pay for training, if it was decided already?”

“How do I continue to teach kids day in and day out with hopes and dreams of making the Olympics? I would tell them work hard and do your job and it will pay off. My little kids all watched last night. Why would they come back to the rink?”

So true, why should anyone care about Nationals now?????? I certainly never will again after this little number.

If the USFSA were being honest, they would admit that the US Nationals are little more than a glorified exhibition. But then try selling tickets and bringing in corporate sponsors for an exhibition.

The Olympics are exponentially more pressure-packed than Worlds or Nationals. You have two skates, a little more than 7 minutes on ice, for which you have trained & sacrificed for years, for as long as you can remember. If you can't handle the pressure at Nationals, how the hell are you going to cope at the Olympics??

That's why I hate the "body of work" selection process. Nobody has ever won an Olympic medal based on cumulative prior results. It's all about what you do in that pressure packed moment, no mulligans. When the pressure was on, Ross Miner skated the program of his life whereas Adam Rippon pooped his panties and even worse appeared to just give up at the end. I have no faith in Drama Queen Rippon's ability to come up with the goods in Pyeongchang.

It's not the kids party he doesn't get to say who attends and who doesn't. And if he doesn't want to meet the VP I don't think anyone is forcing him to attend.

Hugs,

Greg

Yeah, Rippon should just shut up and be grateful he's not in a gulag, where speaking is forbidden. o_O

Dude, it helps to read the article you choose to comment on: "United States Olympian Adam Rippon has already said he would not attend President Trump’s White House celebration following the Winter Games in Pyeongchang, and now the same goes for the team’s visit with Vice President Mike Pence ahead of the Opening Ceremony." Good on him.

Dude, it helps to read the article you choose to comment on: "United States Olympian Adam Rippon has already said he would not attend President Trump’s White House celebration following the Winter Games in Pyeongchang, and now the same goes for the team’s visit with Vice President Mike Pence ahead of the Opening Ceremony." Good on him.

I thought only medalists get invited to the White House. Rippon's chances of winning a medal are slim to none, and Slim just left town. You can't refuse an invitation that you never got in the first place.

I have to attend events all the time with douchebags that I don’t personally like...

Know what I do?....I just avoid them. If they insist on making contact....I politely

excuse myself. It’s easy. You don’t have to love everyone at the party to have a good time.

If I were he, I’d concentrate on trying to finish higher than 4th at the US Nationals,

rather than wasting my time trying to create political drama. Guess which one will pay

your bills better 10 years from now? Does ANYONE know WHO placed 4th at the US

Nationals 10 years ago?....exactly. No one knows...or cares.

Welcome to adulthood skater boy.

Call me crazy, but I doubt that your little get-togethers with douchebags have the capacity to make media headlines on an international platform.

Good on Rippon for calling attention in a public to an evil, homophobic pig.

If the USFSA were being honest, they would admit that the US Nationals are little more than a glorified exhibition. But then try selling tickets and bringing in corporate sponsors for an exhibition.

The Olympics are exponentially more pressure-packed than Worlds or Nationals. You have two skates, a little more than 7 minutes on ice, for which you have trained & sacrificed for years, for as long as you can remember. If you can't handle the pressure at Nationals, how the hell are you going to cope at the Olympics??

That's why I hate the "body of work" selection process. Nobody has ever won an Olympic medal based on cumulative prior results. It's all about what you do in that pressure packed moment, no mulligans. When the pressure was on, Ross Miner skated the program of his life whereas Adam Rippon pooped his panties and even worse appeared to just give up at the end. I have no faith in Drama Queen Rippon's ability to come up with the goods in Pyeongchang.

A glorified exhibition event is exactly how I'm going to be viewing Nationals from now on, IF I ever decide to watch it again after this. There's really no point to it now.

And you're right, most Olympic gold medalists won because they were able to maintain concentration through those 7 mins of skating, especially in the FS. It's all about who's hungry & willing to go the extra mile, while at the same time, making sure that the pressure of being in the Olympics doesn't get to them. Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan, & Iran Slutskaya all chocked when it counted most after dominating the ice for many years. While skaters with inferior "body of work" resumes like Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinsky, Evan L., Adelina Sotnikova & others went out there & killed it, stealing the gold from far superior competition <3

Ross Miner was hungry for the win & would've had momentum going into next month, & those USFSA goons just took it from him. Went with a choke artist instead. Dumb choice.

Radical Independent

More made up, off-the-cuff @Corporate Shill misinformation. (Johnny Weir was not openly gay, only obviously gay.) It's a really bad look.

It was clearly a joke. Pour yourself a glass of wine & chillax lol

I personally find the whole "First openly gay U.S. winter Olympian" thing to be a total & complete joke considering that a majority of male figure skaters are gay &/or act hella gay on the ice, & we've all known it forever. Just because they didn't make their sexual preferences public or officially "come out" as gay for attention before doesn't change the fact that they are gay & that everybody knew it at the time even if they said nothing about it.

This whole Rippon thing just feels like a forced SJW political stunt ngl. Part of me feels that his "body of work" had very little to do with why he's going to the Olympics over a more deserving guy.

Radical Independent