Chelsea Manning for Senate

Corporate Shill

This topic is 961 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Are you with HER???????????  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are you with HER???????????

• YES #WeGotThis
    • NO #LockHerUp again!
    • I want her shoelaces

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I meant it at first somewhat jokingly. But then as I thought about it I thought that the Maryland Senator is a reliable Democrat (whose party had pardoned her). She could use her start up money or whatever she can use and donate it to a Democrat that is going to have a tough time in the primary to get a takeover seat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Make America Sane Again

Difficult to believe a majority want to lock her up again. Any sane person would at least think about walking away from a war. Her mistake was to not consult with a chaplain first.

The one success story I heard about made his case to the commanding officer of the battalion. He had served six months in the field at that point. I know he was re-assigned to civic action (working with families who lived in the war zone).

Ungrateful bitch.

Another treasonous nut job in Congress without any qualifications?

....”dog bites man”...it’s not news.

Perhaps now residents of Vermont can call Sen. Bernie Sander's office directly from a war zone, perhaps not. I assume a decade ago anyone in the military could call Senator Kennedy's office, but only if the technology was available.

@nycman and @TruthBTold, you have no idea how isolated Manning was from the United States. In basic training, a trainee can call anyone. not necessary in a war zone.

Perhaps now residents of Vermont can call Sen. Bernie Sander's office directly from a war zone, perhaps not. I assume a decade ago anyone in the military could call Senator Kennedy's office, but only if the technology was available.

@nycman and @TruthBTold, you have no idea how isolated Manning was from the United States. In basic training, a trainee can call anyone. not necessary in a war zone.

Excuse me, I explained my remark. I do not feel her treasonous. However, the fact is that she was convicted of violating the Espionage Act and by being pardoned she admitted to committing the offense. However, even if you accept that, that is not why I do not want her to run for the Maryland seat. Strategically the Democrats have a very safe seat in Maryland. She will be using resources that she could give to candidates in states that are really going to need them, e.g., Nevada, if she wanted to. This is not the time to cause a raucous if one need not be caused. She has had no legislative experience. Perhaps she might run for some other office and make her way up to running for Senate. At any rate, to each his own. If she were qualified it would be great to get another transgender person elected.

The comment I quoted is "ungrateful bitch," not the Senate contest in Maryland. @Corporate Shill always thought you went too far in calling her that name.

In a follow up post I explained that I said it jokingly when I first posted it. I went on to explain that I just wanted her to consider her Senate race. My follow up post is still there.

I am left wondering what Manning hopes to gain. Is she so deluded that she thinks she actually has a chance? Yikes! I hope nobody is that delusional.

More likely, I would think, is that she hopes the attention from the campaign allows her to become a "professional celebrity," someone who parlays their celebrity status into a lucrative livelihood.

In any case, I doubt this publicity-grabbing stunt will make a speck of difference in the grand scheme of things. Dems have a huge number of Senate seats to defend, but given Trump's rock-bottom polling numbers, Dems in the Senate should do just fine.

My ignore list:  marylander1940, MiamiLooker, stevenkesslar

I am left wondering what Manning hopes to gain. Is she so deluded that she thinks she actually has a chance? Yikes! I hope nobody is that delusional.

More likely, I would think, is that she hopes the attention from the campaign allows her to become a "professional celebrity," someone who parlays their celebrity status into a lucrative livelihood.

In any case, I doubt this publicity-grabbing stunt will make a speck of difference in the grand scheme of things. Dems have a huge number of Senate seats to defend, but given Trump's rock-bottom polling numbers, Dems in the Senate should do just fine.

Maybe she knows she isn't going to win. But is running to get exposure to have a discussion about US imperialism and the evils this country does.

Hugs,

Greg

I changed my vote to "YES" after reading about her opponent & realizing that he's everything I hate about establishment politicians these days. MOR borewhore, corrupt, senile, & a paid shill for the right-wing extremist Israeli government.</3

Let's face it, 99.9% of people in the country have never even heard of him, one of the most useless waste-o-space Senators in our government.

Best article I read on this subject: https://theintercept.com/2018/01/15/centrist-dems-launch-smear-campaign-against-young-trans-woman-all-to-keep-an-old-straight-white-man-in-power/

Girl has no real shot to win (if they even allow her on the ballot), but I'm glad she's trying to stir up shit at least. I like how in hypocritical establishment Dem logic it is ok to viciously attack a transgendered girl like Chelsea, but not ok to criticize Hillary??????? If Chelsea were one of them, they'd be calling her detractors ignorant, sexist, misogynists, & homophobes :confused:

#ImWithHer

Radical Independent

A decade (and more) ago, they certainly could. I could direct dial to anywhere in the US from my office in Baghdad. Troops in the field may not have had daily access but they would have had access.

As to Chelsea Manning's candidacy, she would hardly be the first candidate for high elected office whose only claim to it was their fame (or notoriety), not any qualifications for the job. Your senate far more than ours is a collection of individuals rather than two teams, but there is still room for people who end up being there just to make up the numbers on one side or the other.

A decade (and more) ago, they certainly could. I could direct dial to anywhere in the US from my office in Baghdad. Troops in the field may not have had daily access but they would have had access.

I am not sure you understand. Phones are not readily available to people in a combat zone.

I am not sure you understand. Phones are not readily available to people in a combat zone.

Not readily available is different to not available. Electronic communications are available for operational purposes (targeting, intelligence, tactical information) and they are increasingly modern digital means rather than just radios. They won't have a phone in their foxhole, but they are increasingly likely to have one in a forward operating base. One of the first things set up in East Timor in 1999 was a mobile phone network (with Australian phone numbers) and in Baghdad I had a phone with a NY area code. I acknowledge that was in a headquarters location (arguably in the communications zone rather than the combat zone) but connectivity was pushed as far forward as it could be.

They won't have a phone in their foxhole, but they are increasingly likely to have one in a forward operating base.

Officers may have access to a forward operating base, but not necessarily lower ranking men and women in the U.S. military.

Edited by WilliamM