Who do you trust?

KeepItReal
This topic is 2289 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I like to do a bit of homework before I replace possessions - especially the expensive type. Not the only one to do so, I am sure.

This year I have to replace an amplifier and some exercise equipment. Back in the day, that meant Consumer Reports, but nowadays there are many website, Youtube channels etc dedicated to providing ratings and advice to consumers.

My go-to site is Wirecutter - anything from condoms to ipads; very comprehensive and helpful https://thewirecutter.com/

So gentlemen - do you use a different source,site I should consider, where do you place your trust? Thanks!

imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbrentmcconnell.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F2%2F2013%2F09%2Ftrust_me.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbrentmcconnell.com%2F2009%2F10%2Fdo-people-trust-you-and-your-community%2F&docid=vgHIXcLBrWYY-M&tbnid=k1UNA3AdegOVSM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjg5ZKatdrYAhVISt8KHQ4kDjEQMwhjKBowGg..i&w=300&h=257&bih=759&biw=1536&q=trust%20me&ved=0ahUKEwjg5ZKatdrYAhVISt8KHQ4kDjEQMwhjKBowGg&iact=mrc&uact=8

Edmunds if you are car shopping - it's a big investments so worthy of some research.

I am not familiar with the wirecutter, but will consider it in the future. Instead I have relied on Amazon reviews for general consumer products - taken with a pinch of salt! I've also looked at reviewed.com but that feels like advertising, more than actual independent reviews.

The thing about re iews, on any site is that there is always a mix of Pro and con, so even after you do your homework, you have to trust yourself that you are making the Right decision. My personal experience, its gone both ways. You win some and you lose some.

I like Consumer Reports, but many times they do come across as old fuddy-duddies. I don't always agree with them.

What I much prefer when researching is a cross-section of actual consumer reviews. Good, bad, indifferent. If you can wade through a bit of that, you learn to quickly separate the wheat from the chaff. For example, when shopping for sugar-free gummy bears, this page helped me immensely:

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-SUGAR-Classic-Gummi-Bears/product-reviews/B006J1FBLM

Fort tech I trust cnet.com.

For tech, I rely on cnet's reviews. might not take everything as gospel, but its the site that influences me the most as I consider purchases.

And, I read online reviews. I look at Amazon, EBay, BestBuy, etc. I look through the consumer reviews... using a grain of salt. I disregard some reviews, based on what they say. But sometimes, I get insights into specific details about a product. E.g., when many reviewers say something like "the TV is great, but the buttons on the remote are so tiny, I can't use it..." And, yes, I know Amazon does, or used to, compensate people for reviews.

I don't rely on any service overall for auto recommendations, but I will read reviews to see if there is a pattern of complaints about any specific car's systems or features.

Just ordered a chair from Wayfair. There were no reviews of the specific chair I ordered - and since I haven't sat in it yet, have a little trepidation while awaiting its arrival. The site itself often has helpful reviews of the items promoted... some buyers even include pictures of the furniture in their local room. The reviews are helpful as Wayfair doesn't appear to filter out negative comments. I've seen pictures of poorly assembled items. And many folks complain that the colors depicted online do not match the colors on the item that arrive.... supporting their complaint with photos.

Tech stuff I consult friends. Most of them are way ahead of me and they usually purchase equipment that is cutting edge, so I get a pretty honest assessment. Amplifiers are a different animal, so I would most likely go to a large retailer that specializes in sound equipment. You most likely will be steered toward the higher end products, but if you are purchasing and intend to keep, and are particular about quality of sound, then I would think you need to listen to the various ones to compare and weigh price and quality. Exercise equipment is something you need to try out before you purchase. I would never buy exercise equipment without physically seeing how it feels first. Quality varies greatly, and effectiveness is just something that you won't know until you actually sit on it and take it for a spin. Again, there are large retailers that sell only gym equipment. Once you decide what works best, then you can go on-line and most likely purchase it cheaper...For auto-mobiles...Jeremy Clarkson, OK the mans a racist, but he does know cars, and his candid comments are usually spot on. The American version of "Top Gear" was an embarrassment, and should be avoided like the plague.

Edited by bigvalboy

Planning to retire in May and want to replace my TV in Portland. Not doing any research on-line. Too much hassle and too many options.

My niece is the nerd in the family that does all that. Plan to fly her out to Portland and help me figure out what I really need. Why do all the research on my own when I have a family member like her?

Tech stuff I consult friends. Most of them are way ahead of me and they usually purchase equipment that is cutting edge, so I get a pretty honest assessment. Amplifiers are a different animal, so I would most likely go to a large retailer that specializes in sound equipment. You most likely will be steered toward the higher end products, but if you are purchasing and intend to keep, and are particular about quality of sound, then I would think you need to listen to the various ones to compare and weigh price and quality. Exercise equipment is something you need to try out before you purchase. I would never buy exercise equipment without physically seeing how it feels first. Quality varies greatly, and effectiveness is just something that you won't know until you actually sit on it and take it for a spin. Again, there are large retailers that sell only gym equipment. Once you decide what works best, then you can go on-line and most likely purchase it cheaper...For auto-mobiles...Jeremy Clarkson, OK the mans a racist, but he does know cars, and his candid comments are usually spot on. The American version of "Top Gear" was an embarrassment, and should be avoided like the plague.

I quite enjoy James May ("Captain slow!"), and I will admit that I miss the Stig. ;)

I tend to use a mix of my own experience, recommendations from friends and relatives, Consumer Reports, cnet, Car and Driver, and online reviews. CR tends to favor some brands over others and often tests models that are no longer available. That really isn't helpful when they give great ratings to a couple of models from a particular brand but low ratings to others from the same brand.

I quite enjoy James May ("Captain slow!"), and I will admit that I miss the Stig. ;)

LOL...yes the Stig and his imaginary cousins, loved it, and I do think that May's perceived slowness was more a story line than reality. Once pushing a Veyron to it's limit at Ehra-Lessien. Certainly not for the faint of heart.

Apologies to the OP for the hijack, but this was fun...

Edited by bigvalboy

For auto-mobiles...Jeremy Clarkson, OK the mans a racist, but he does know cars, and his candid comments are usually spot on.

Jeremy Clarkson has freely admitted that he didn't know very much about cars, and he made many gaffs on Top Gear, such as suggesting that a supercharger forces more fuel into the engine. His version of Top Gear was about the furthest thing I can think of from being designed for consumers.

Jeremy Clarkson has freely admitted that he didn't know very much about cars, and he made many gaffs on Top Gear, such as suggesting that a supercharger forces more fuel into the engine. His version of Top Gear was about the furthest thing I can think of from being designed for consumers.

Top Gear was never designed for consumers, it was designed for guys like me who could sit all day and watch Clarkson push a car to it's limit around a track, and enjoy the antics of Clarkson, Hammond and May play off each other. It never pretended to be anything else. It was designed to entertain. The show wasn't perfect, but it sure was fun to watch...

Edited by bigvalboy

Top Gear was never designed for consumers, it was designed for guys like me who could sit all day and watch Clarkson push a car to it's limit around a track, and enjoy the antics of Hammond and May play off each other. The show wasn't perfect, but it sure was fun to watch...

Sure. Just not a reliable source of information about cars, in the way that C&D or Motor Trend might be viewed.

Pure joy...

I've owned/driven my share, but the streets and canyons of LA were not conducive to the kind of fun you could see on Top Gear, though it wasn't for lack of trying. Working Latigo canyon to PCH was amazing, but it had it's limitations, so many of us lived vicariously through the Top Gear crew.

Edited by bigvalboy

I much prefer the genuine expertise and excitement provided by Tiff Needell and Vicki Butler-Henderson myself.

Well there you go. There's something for everyone... though I missed the expertise part. Maybe it was when she was sliding the M5 sideways around every turn and smoking the tires, since we all know that's the fastest way around a track...

Edited by bigvalboy