Victoria - Season 2

Avalon
This topic is 2236 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm growing to like the series the more I watch it--despite the historical inaccuracies. Jenna Coleman is likeable as the strong-willed young monarch. However, the best portrayal of Victoria is Annette Crosbie's amazing performance in the 1975 series, 'Edward the King'. If you want to see what matches the real Queen Victoria and her volatile temperment, seek out this series.

The series aired last year in the UK. So we'll see this later here in the USA

There are two gay characters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4959334/Victoria-broadcast-gay-kiss-tonight.html

I like the way that they have introduced in a very subtle way the attraction the two have for each other. However, as of right now in my U.S. viewing nothing has happened between them. The thing that I tell myself. Gay characters do not fare well in these programs. They are generally deeply flawed characters whose fates are less than fine. For instance, in Downtown Abbey, they had one full time gay character. They could have scripted him so that he was not so evil and plotting and found some love during the show. It happened during the Victorian times, not all gay characters were loveless. For instance, Oscar Wilde and his nere do well boyfriend could have lived a decent existence except that Wilde sued the boyfriend's father and created a scandal that made everything unnecessarily public. I am not saying that the general public was totally accepting of gay people just that individual gay men found satisfaction and were fine people. It will be interesting to see where the script writers take this relationships and just perhaps something good happens to them. I suppose the fact that they are not evil and back biting is a good start. I guess I will be happy for that for now.

CONTAINS SPOILERS

Sadly there is no basis in fact that these two were actually same-sex lovers. Nonetheless I think it was nice the writers put in a gay sub storyline.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4678218/lord-alfred-paget-edward-drummond-affair-victoria-kiss-gay/

I didn't want to read the spoiler, but as far as titillation goes, I also think it was nice that the producers made them such pretty boys. :)

I didn't want to read the spoiler, but as far as titillation goes, I also think it was nice that the producers made them such pretty boys. :)

I didn't read the spoiler but it is entirely possible that palace employment selection was occasional done the same way employment selection has been done over the years. They were pretty so they got the position. I really have no idea that to be the case because just as often it had to do with family position. But I am sure looking like a statute didn't hurt. I mean Victoria herself chose her husband based partially because of his looks.

I didn't read the spoiler but it is entirely possible that palace employment selection was occasional done the same way employment selection has been done over the years. They were pretty so they got the position. I really have no idea that to be the case because just as often it had to do with family position. But I am sure looking like a statute didn't hurt. I mean Victoria herself chose her husband based partially because of his looks.

Yes indeed! Victoria was very attracted to Albert's looks.

"The day she saw Albert again, Victoria, a smidgeon over five feet tall, stood high on a staircase in Windsor Castle to receive her German cousin, determined to look as regal as possible. Albert approached, and she took in his appearance: His eyes were "beautiful" blue, his features "perfect." He had a "delicate" blond moustache. Broad shouldered, Albert was five foot ten, with a narrow waist. He set her heart "quite going."

Victoria swooned. She was infatuated."

http://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/news/a9209/queen-victoria-wedding/

• 3 weeks later...