The Amazing Race 2018

WilliamM
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

That final puzzle really made winning this season of TAR a breathtaking finish. Until the winner realized their mistake, (two of the same symbols!) it really was anybody's game.

I believe one team had the symbols correct but made a change before calling the judge over. To be honest I did not understand the final puzzle.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe one team had the symbols correct but made a change before calling the judge over. To be honest I did not understand the final puzzle.

You're right; that was Team Yale. I doubt they last as a couple once Evan (female) finds out what Henry did. She'll hold that against him forever; she'll make his life miserable.

Yes. Henry (Team Yale) had the puzzle correct (which they showed onscreen) but then second-guessed himself and changed it before asking for the check.

If I'm not mistaken, @WilliamM, each puzzle had 12 pieces, each piece with two symbols visible when they were slotted into the puzzle. Only six puzzle pieces out of the 12 could be used for the solution, but no symbol could show twice, thus only one symbol for each leg of the race was visible in the correct solution. A relatively complicated 3-D puzzle and the frustrating type of final puzzle that Amazing Race had not had for the last few seasons. It did seem this season that the producers pretty well kept all the teams together, with a few exceptions, over the course of TAR 30.

TruHart1 :cool:

I hope this is the very last time TAR invites a team from Big Brother.

Its about ratings, money, and participant willingness to be exploited. Most of these reality shows.... participants have a more realistic hope of gaining some form of fame and/or exposure-based career compared to winning money. They know it... they say it on social media or in live feeds.

So, its possible that CBS TAR wont invite CBS BB alums...but only if they find others they feel will draw a bigger audience.

Edited by LaffingBear

I hope this is the very last time TAR invites a team from Big Brother.

For me, having watched the Paul Show (Big Brother 19!) last summer, where the TAR Big Brother team of Cody and Jessica met and fell in love and basically endured the "hate" of the majority of Paul and his minions, I was expecting to watch this particular couple self-destruct as so many couples who come on TAR do if they haven't been a couple very long.

I was pleasantly surprised by their interactions throughout the race. Yes, Jessica has quite a smart-ass mouth and was also a total wreck when trying to accomplish some of the tasks but the one time when Cody was ready to give up, (the singing of the African words and melody, along with enthusiastically dancing around) dejectedly asking Jessica, "Why keep rehearsing?" Jessica simply pulled him in, kissed him, and calmed him down so they could try once more and finally succeed!

Each and every time Jessica complained she could not accomplish her half of a task, Cody always said, "No problem, I can do this!" and basically did the whole task without any complaining. They had a pretty impressive team dynamic and helped each other without argument when one or the other messed up.

You're right; that was Team Yale. I doubt they last as a couple once Evan (female) finds out what Henry did. She'll hold that against him forever; she'll make his life miserable.

Listening to Evan and Henry's exit interview today, although Henry admitted that seeing the show Wednesday night, it was the first they knew he'd actually solved the puzzle before Jessica but then second-guessed himself, Evan has NOT been blaming Henry for blowing their chances to win.

Listening to Evan and Henry's exit interview today, although Henry admitted that seeing the show Wednesday night, it was the first they knew he'd actually solved the puzzle before Jessica but then second-guessed himself, Evan has NOT been blaming Henry for blowing their chances to win.

Henry seems like a nice, laid back kind of guy. But Evan was bitchy several times during the race. He could do better. Maybe go back to Hong Kong and find that taxi driver also named Henry ;-)))

I am a huge TAR fan. I first strarted watching back in Season 1 when the teams had to Zip line under or through or near Victoria Falls. I loved the idea of it and the scenery was breath taking. I have watched just about every episode since. I was rooting for Team Big Brother and I was really rooting for Cody to take his shirt off, which he did rarely if at all. Yalies struck me as smug. I enjoyed the Indy drivers and Team Extreme was probably the best all female team they have ever had on the show.

The final puzzle very challenging but it was not exciting TV as you could not really see the symbols on the pieces and as a result it was hard to play along at home. It seemed like an organized thought process could have worked to solve that puzzle very easily. There was a pair of propellers each with two symbols. Finding either of those symbols on any other piece would place it in either as discarded or belonging with the other propeller. Going through the four symbols (two on each propeller would go a long way to forming two piles only one of which would have all distinct symbols.

Now I could not get a clear enough view of the pieces to see if there were more than two symbols on each with some of the symbols being red herrings. I also do no know if the pieces were two sided and as a result there were really four propellers each side of each of the two, A little more clarification on the part of the show would have made it clearer why it took over 2.5 hours to solve that puzzle.

I am a huge TAR fan. I first strarted watching back in Season 1 when the teams had to Zip line under or through or near Victoria Falls. I loved the idea of it and the scenery was breath taking. I have watched just about every episode since. I was rooting for Team Big Brother and I was really rooting for Cody to take his shirt off, which he did rarely if at all. Yalies struck me as smug. I enjoyed the Indy drivers and Team Extreme was probably the best all female team they have ever had on the show.

The final puzzle very challenging but it was not exciting TV as you could not really see the symbols on the pieces and as a result it was hard to play along at home. It seemed like an organized thought process could have worked to solve that puzzle very easily. There was a pair of propellers each with two symbols. Finding either of those symbols on any other piece would place it in either as discarded or belonging with the other propeller. Going through the four symbols (two on each propeller would go a long way to forming two piles only one of which would have all distinct symbols.

Now I could not get a clear enough view of the pieces to see if there were more than two symbols on each with some of the symbols being red herrings. I also do no know if the pieces were two sided and as a result there were really four propellers each side of each of the two, A little more clarification on the part of the show would have made it clearer why it took over 2.5 hours to solve that puzzle.

An issue with the way the show has developed is that there used to be a bit more mental gymnastics in trying to determine each subsequent destination. The ready availability of internet access has made that aspect easier and perhaps that is why it is just about eliminated from the show.

I have applied to be a contestant many times over the years. I have sent in tapes with all sorts of partners and never got a nibble. Guess my back story was just not interesting enough and even 30 seasons ago, no one was waiting for me to take off my shirt and get into a speedo.

ow I could not get a clear enough view of the pieces to see if there were more than two symbols on each with some of the symbols being red herrings. I also do no know if the pieces were two sided and as a result there were really four propellers each side of each of the two, A little more clarification on the part of the show would have made it clearer why it took over 2.5 hours to solve that puzzle.

I have visited Hong Kong but never flew to the U.S. from there. But, I have flown to the U.S. from Sydney and Tokyo. Perhaps jet lag was a major factor for the two teams that lost especially for Harry.

I have visited Hong Kong but never flew to the U.S. from there. But, I have flown to the U.S. from Sydney and Tokyo. Perhaps jet lag was a major factor for the two teams that lost especially for Harry.

That was the first time I recall that they had first class accommodations. I do recall that the rules stated that the contestants could not ask for upgrades nor purchase first class seats but if those seats were offered, the contestants could accept.

I have watched TAR since the beginning. It is my favorite reality show. I prefer when the teams are in urban areas rather than rural areas.

I surf the 'net looking up the places they visit.

I enjoy the animal interactions as they tend to occur at locations which are animal friendly.

The Road Blocks have gotten a bit formulaic There is almost always a singing or dancing one which are painful to watch.

I did like a few of the changes. Working with another team was a fun idea. The idea of one on one competitions was okay but it did give an advantage to the team in last in that they could be hours behind and there would still be a team waiting for them.

The travel options on this particular season seemed limited. No one was trying to decide which flight to take or maneuvering to find a better flight. Still, it is the only reality competition show I watch as appointment TV.

I have watched TAR since the beginning. It is my favorite reality show. I prefer when the teams are in urban areas rather than rural areas.

I surf the 'net looking up the places they visit.

Hong Kong is a beautiful city at night. You can see the other island (Kowloon glowing with lights). Hong Kong was still under the control of the Brits when I was there. Much, much better Chinese food than in the U.S.

Edited by WilliamM

That was the first time I recall that they had first class accommodations

Part of the problem is the yuge change in time zones. In flight from Australia to LAX. Sydney is so far ahead in time you land in LAX around the same time you left Australia. I remember renting a car and staying overnight in Malibu. On the ocean beautiful. But I had to drive back to the airport the next day for a flight back to the east coast. Yoo many time changes.