Anyone else figure out motive in Ivy League murder?

glutes
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he investigators are now saying that this poor kid was stabbed 20 times.

That is a crime of Passion!

I’ve watched enough “Criminal Minds” to write the script for this one....

Nerdy Pre-Med Jewish boy...has the hots for the Aryan Bad Boy in high school.

He helps the Bad Boy study.....they become oddly close.

The Bad Boy uses the Nerd to get off....over and over.

Bad Boy develops “”feelings” for the Nerd.

Nerdy Jewish Boy goes off to college...leaves his childhood behind...and becomes more adult.

Bad Boy stays in their hometown and regresses wallowing in self hate.

Nerd comes home for the Holidays....Bad Boy wants things to be like they used to be....

Jewish Nerd rejects Aryan Bad Boy. Bad Boy freaks....and kills the nerd....20 times.

In fact....I practically lived it. Except I’m not Jewish....and I didn’t get killed.

Just lucky I guess!

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — The parents of a 19-year-old University of Pennsylvania student killed and buried in a California park said Tuesday that the killing may have been a hate crime against their gay son.

The family statement came after a search warrant affidavit obtained by a newspaper revealed that Samuel Lincoln Woodward, 20, the high school friend arrested on suspicion of killing Blaze Bernstein, told investigators that Bernstein had kissed him and he had pushed him away before they went to the park.

As he described the kiss, Woodward clenched his jaw and his fists, saying "he wanted to tell Blaze to get off of him," investigators wrote in the affidavit obtained by the Orange County Register.

Still want to know why he didn’t have his wallet or cellphone. Maybe Woodward took them after the murder?

They were saying that he didn't have his wallet and phone before his body was found, so I assume that means he left them at home. It's probably what made his parents call the police so quickly because he obviously didn't intend to be away for any length of time.

NEWS New York Post

Slain Ivy League student’s parents break their silence

By Gabrielle Fonrouge

January 18, 2018 | 2:41pm | Updated

Gideon and Jeanne Bernstein, parents of killed teen Blaze, speak at a news conference.AP

SEE ALSO

Murder suspect told cops slain UPenn student kissed him

The parents of the Ivy League student who authorities say was killed by a former classmate in an attack being probed as a possible hate crime said Thursday they’re not focusing on why he was killed — and are choosing instead to remember the joy he brought to everyone’s life.

“We celebrated him, everything about him,” Blaze Bernstein’s mom, Jeanne, said on the “Today” show.

Both she and husband Gideon said they are not going to get caught up in the motive for the crime — including suggestions that the 19-year-old University of Pennsylvania student was killed for being gay.

“We wanted him to feel like he could be open about every part of his life,” she said. “We wanted him to naturally get to a comfortable place. And he was getting there. He was on his way.”

The mourning parents chose to focus on their son’s life and his passions for cooking and traveling. They said the night he went missing, Jan. 2, Blaze cooked the entire family a meal.

“We had the grandparents there. All of my children were together under one roof, and Blaze cooked a beautiful meal for all of us to eat,” Jeanne said.

That would be the last moment she’d see her son alive. After dinner, Blaze went out to meet friends and never returned. The parents realized something was wrong the next day.

“We were supposed to be together that day and he wasn’t in the house,” Jeanne said.

On Jan. 9, Blaze was found buried in a shallow grave in a park near his home with more than 20 stab wounds on his body.

Blaze’s high school classmate, 20-year-old Samuel Woodward, has been charged with his murder and investigators aren’t ruling out charging him with a hate crime, CBS News reported.

“We are in fact looking for evidence that might support that,” Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas told the outlet.

In an affidavit obtained by the Orange County Register, Woodward told investigators he was angry with Blaze, who was gay, because he kissed Woodward the night he disappeared, CBS News reported.

Blaze’s parents rebuffed questions on the investigation.

“If we talk about these things now, then this young man will not get a fair trial. And I want that for all of us,” Jeanne said.

“I want the legal system to work. I’m an attorney. I value it,” she added.

Pro Publica reports that Woodward "was a member of the Atomwaffen Division, an armed Fascist group with the ultimate aim of overthrowing the U.S. government through the use of terrorism and guerrilla warfare."

https://www.propublica.org/article/california-murder-suspect-atomwaffen-division-extremist-hate-group?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1517012208

So homophobia and anti-Semitism are in the mix as possible motives.

The University of Pennsylvania student newspaper:

Speaking to the Los Angeles Times on Jan. 18, Bernstein's mother, Jeanne Pepper Bernstein, said she had long been worried about the threats to her son's safety because of his identity.

"I'm concerned about the fact that he is Jewish. I'm concerned with the fact that he is gay or the fact that he is small," she said. "I was concerned for his safety always. I was concerned sending him out into the big world. But at some point you have to let go and they leave the nest and fly. I couldn't protect him from everything."

http://snworksceo.imgix.net/dpn/af7fb89d-fb0c-48f9-992d-4f49f844e43d.sized-1000x1000.png

Blaze Bernstein

At Penn, Bernstein was involved in a range of literary clubs on campus, including the Penn Review and the magazine Penn Appetit. As the investigation into his killing has unfolded, students, faculty, and staff who knew the College sophomore have found ways to honor his memory on campus.

Jamie-Lee Josselyn, Bernstein's academic adviser, flew out to California to attend his memorial service and gave a speech that was later printed in full as a guest column in The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Woodward's arraignment is set for Feb. 2 and if he is convicted of the charges laid out on Jan. 17, he could face 26 years to life in state prison.

Comment: I completely understand his mother's comments. Her son was safer in Philadelphia in a racially mixed neighborhood than in his hometown.

Blaze was completely safe here and at OCSA, except for the fact that he socialized with "the bad boy" who he met at OCSA. I know--not super well, but well enough--both families. I'm not going to say too much beyond that this attempt by the media to make Blaze a completely innocent victim is annoying. Life is not black/white. It's all shades of gray. Blaze was a good kid. Sam was a good kid with mental issues, a very religious mom, and a demanding dad. Blaze's parents had and have issues too. Sadly, Sam didn't stand a chance to the hand he was dealt and sadly Blaze paid for it with his life.

A surprising number of people from the area who knew either or both families have posted in this reddit thread if you want more info.

A surprising number of people from the area who knew either or both families have posted in this reddit thread if you want more info.

I’d not had experience with Reddit before reading this Reddit thread, and the prior Reddit thread, on the same topic, that you directed us to, but I was staggered at both of those Reddit threads, for multiple reasons. The volume of quality information and up-close accounts of interactions with various persons involved in the case was astounding. I also couldn’t believe how facts-based and how entirely civil the presentation of the thread was - there’s none of the usually internet trolling, slandering and name-calling and abuse, and even partisanism seems to be kept at a really low level. Very impressive content, on a very tragic topic.

I'm not going to say too much beyond that this attempt by the media to make Blaze a completely innocent victim is annoying. Life is not black/white. It's all shades of gray. Blaze was a good kid. Sam was a good kid with mental issues, a very religious mom, and a demanding dad. Blaze's parents had and have issues too. Sadly, Sam didn't stand a chance to the hand he was dealt and sadly Blaze paid for it with his life.

/

The investigators are asserting that Blaze was stabbed and killed in Sam Woodward’s car. The fact that Woodward brought the knife with him for the meeting in the first place would indicate it wasn’t just a random moment that he snapped during his meeting with Blaze. Unless of course he just carries a knife in his car all the time

I’d not had experience with Reddit before reading this Reddit thread, and the prior Reddit thread, on the same topic, that you directed us to, but I was staggered at both of those Reddit threads, for multiple reasons. The volume of quality information and up-close accounts of interactions with various persons involved in the case was astounding. I also couldn’t believe how facts-based and how entirely civil the presentation of the thread was - there’s none of the usually internet trolling, slandering and name-calling and abuse, and even partisanism seems to be kept at a really low level. Very impressive content, on a very tragic topic.

I'm glad you found them useful. Reddit is one of the online forums where Millennials and Gen Z congregate and many older people have little exposure to how serious and considerate these "kids" can be about serious topics, such as this tragic murder of one of their own by one of them. Though, there were plenty of trollish comments, but they were downvoted/moderated into oblivion.