Anyone else figure out motive in Ivy League murder?

glutes
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suspect arrested in killing of Blaze Bernstein, the Ivy League student found dead in an Orange County park.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-blaze-bernstein-arrest-20180112-story.html

(I'll go out on a limb, I think the suspect is one of the 'fine people' Dotard Donnie was referring to awhile back)

Interesting...That would not have been my guess.

KCAL9’s Stacey Butler said several things were learned Friday evening from Woodward’s social media footprint.

On one site, he defended the Confederate flag, saying it was a symbol or Southern pride and not hate.

On another site, he was asked what two things he would want if stranded on a deserted island and he said “The Bible and a Colt .45.”

If he could learn a new skill, Woodward replied “Waterboarding.”

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/01/12/new-disturbing-details-emerge-about-suspect-held-for-killing-friend/

Samuel-Woodward-mugshot-via-screencap-800x430.png

So you have a Trumpite here, and throw in some meth?

And if you really want to get creepy about this, "Woodward kills Bernstein" for a headline?

Edited by Oaktown

Suspect arrested in killing of Blaze Bernstein, the Ivy League student found dead in an Orange County park.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-blaze-bernstein-arrest-20180112-story.html

(I'll go out on a limb, I think the suspect is one of the 'fine people' Dotard Donnie was referring to awhile back)

High School Suck Buds --- College Blaze wants to reconnect with High school Dude ===

Dude did the deed then lost it and beat the Blaze and Buried the Boy --- VERY SAD

Some local OC sites are speculating that Woodward may have been outed by Blaze on social media. They said that Woodward was deeply closeted and that his homophobia was a reflection of that. That may be the motive, as well as a possible rejection. We can expect a lot to come out over the next week.

Reddit is filled with comments from former OCSA students who knew both Woodward and Blaze, along with the usual speculation.

He was a fine writer:

https://pennreviewlitmag.wordpress.com/2016/11/05/picking-marbles-from-dirt-by-blaze-bernstein/

The local blogs suggest that Woodward picked him up at his house, which wasn’t far from Borrego Park near the Bernstein house. I know that area reasonably well since I lived near the beach in south OC for over 30 years. That part of OC turns pretty desolate and mountainous very quickly. It’s the Santa Ana Mountains, which the notorious Santa Ana winds are named for. I’ve gone mountain-biking there a lot.

It’s the Santa Ana Mountains, which the notorious Santa Ana winds are named for.

Well....that’s one possible the winds are named that. Popular theory also that the winds are named after a corruption of the world “santana”....long time resident here too ;) and sailing buff so follow weather in a geekish extraordinary way, lol

The Daily Pennsylvanian (University of Pennsynlvania student newspaper.) Classes started at Penn on Wednesday January 10. The term "College sophomore" below means Arts and Science at other universities

Arrest made in homicide of Penn student Blaze Bernstein

Rebecca Tan and Sarah Fortinsky 01/12/18 6:43pm

http://snworksceo.imgix.net/dpn/dbd0caab-d3b1-45a6-9b52-0060310c59dc.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Orange County Sheriff's Department // Twitter

An arrest has been made in connection to the death of College sophomore Blaze Bernstein, according to a press release from the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

Bernstein, who went missing on Jan. 2, was found dead in a shallow grave around the perimeter of Borrego Park earlier this week.

In a press conference held by the Orange County Sheriff's Department on Jan. 12, authorities confirmed that the suspect taken into custody is Samuel Woodward, 20, who along with Bernstein, attended the Orange County School of the Arts, one of the top schools in the country to study creative writing.

According to the OC Sheriff's Department, Woodward was the last person in contact with Bernstein before he disappeared. On the night of Jan. 2, Woodward picked Bernstein up and they drove to multiple locations before arriving at Borrego Park.

When the OC Sheriff's Department initially interviewed Woodward, he said that he dropped Bernstein off at the park and waited for an hour in the car. When Bernstein didn't return, Woodward said he left.

But after multiple search warrants and interviews, authorities began to question Woodward's testimony.

"Based on inconsistencies in the story of [Woodward], we focused on him as a suspect," Orange County Undersheriff Don Barnes said.

According to a search warrant affidavit obtained by the Orange County Register, detectives who spoke to Woodward two days after Bernstein's disappearance noticed that his hands appeared to have small scratches on them and he appeared to have "dirt under his fingernails." The affidavit also reportedly stated that Woodward attributed the scratches and abrasions to a "fight club."

While Barnes said that authorities have confirmed that Woodward and Bernstein knew each other from high school, they do not yet know the nature of their relationship.

Authorities also declined to provide further details on Bernstein's death. The OC Sheriff's Department is awaiting the final results of an autopsy before determining cause of death.

At the press conference, Annee Della Donna, an attorney for the Bernstein family said they were grateful for the work of local law enforcement in this past week.

"We will continue to search for justice for Blaze and his family. Our words cannot express how grateful the family is to for their community," she said.

Bernstein went missing just five days before he was planning on returning to Penn for the spring semester.

News of Woodward's arrest comes two days after Bernstein's identity was confirmed as the body found the day prior. It also comes after days of expansive search and rescue missions conducted by the OC Sheriff's Department in the area. Bernstein's father, Gideon Bernstein, had also worked with friends of the family to conduct independent drone operations.

His mother, Jeanne Pepper Bernstein, told the DP that Bernstein already had items packed up to return to campus the night he went missing.

The student had also just been elected to serve as the managing editor of Penn Appétit, a food publication at Penn, and had spent time over winter break brainstorming editorial visions and strategies to implement this coming year for the magazine. Bernstein's father said he found those notes and sent them to the executive director, Wharton sophomore Rachel Prokupek, to use this coming year.

A candlelight vigil was held at the Kelly Writers House on Jan. 10 for those close to Blaze, though it was open to all students. The following day, University administrators held a support session in Houston Hall.

Bernstein's parents said they expect to come to campus sometime in the future to hold a larger memorial to honor their son with members of the Penn community.

This hits very close to home. Blaze was a smart kid. He had a bright future. Sam, sadly, was born into the wrong family. When conservative families raise their children with impossible demands, something is irreparably broken, and frequently great pain and anger take root. In this case, a thoughtful young man lost his life because he misjudged his former "friend" and went with him when he never should've been in that car.

Edited by LivingnLA

Dead eyes of a sociopath.

I don't know if they're the dead eyes of a sociopath, but he does have that "dead" look of a too far gone drug addict. One of the symptoms of meth addiction is violence, often in the extreme. The motive for murder might have been a deep-seated conflict between the two, or Woodward might have been sparked into violence over nothing at all.

This is a tragedy. I’m not sure why the fact that the victim had attended an Ivy League college makes any difference though

May be necessary because many people confuse University of Pennsylvania (private university) with Penn State and vice versa.

Both universities receive applications for admissions meant for the other university.

Penn=Philadelphia Penn State=State College, PA located on the middle of the state

Edited by WilliamM

I have no idea the victim's religion but based upon his surname could it have been anti-Semitism? Sadly there are alot of anti Jewish hate crimes going on today.

Yes, the victim was Jewish. One of the news stories mentioned his mother lighting the Shabbat candles and saying a special prayer for her son. Since the boys went to school together, the alleged killer most likely knew the victim was Jewish.

I realise the killer is most probably bereft of any compassion and empathy, but to boil it down for an even more base feeling for him, I just can’t fatham the train of thought for them in the lead up to that event, knowing full well that their actions will put them into prison for the rest of their life.