Question for cat lovers

MassageDrew
This topic is 2290 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My father was a cat person. A feral cat gave had a litter of kittens under the house. He called the pound but kept one kitten. She liked to bring him things like a gopher she caught. She was an outdoor cat. My father fed her twice a day on the back porch. He'd stay with her while she ate so the birds would not get the food. When my father and step-mother went on holiday I'd go out to feed her. I don't know what happened to her after my father died.

Both my mother and I had dogs. When I left home I left my dog behind. After my mother died my father remarried. So I go out to visit one day and my step-mother had both my mother's dog and mine put down. They were both healthy. She just didn't want them around and my father didn't stand up to her. No one had called me to tell me beforehand. Ultimately I think it was also a reason for me not to visit my father.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father was a cat person. A feral cat gave had a litter of kittens under the house. He called the pound but kept one kitten. She liked to bring him things like a gopher she caught. She was an outdoor cat. My father fed her twice a day on the back porch. He'd stay with her while she ate so the birds would not get the food. When my father and step-mother went on holiday I'd go out to feed her. I don't know what happened to her after my father died.

Both my mother and I had dogs. When I left home I left my dog behind. After my mother died my father remarried. So I go out to visit one day and my step-mother had both my mother's dog and mine put down. They were both healthy. She just didn't want them around and my father didn't stand up to her. No one had called me to tell me beforehand. Ultimately I think it was also a reason for me not to visit my father.

People used to think of animals as being disposable.

...When I left home I left my dog behind. After my mother died my father remarried. So I go out to visit one day and my step-mother had both my mother's dog and mine put down. They were both healthy. She just didn't want them around and my father didn't stand up to her. No one had called me to tell me beforehand. Ultimately I think it was also a reason for me not to visit my father.

What was the reason you left your dog behind when you left home?

So sad. I’m sorry.

I have a friend who is not a cat person but his partner had two. One of the cat I think never warmed up to my friend. One night he told his partner, jokingly, that he didn’t mind him taking the cat to the shelter. Well, the following morning his partner just did that. My friend woke up to feed his dog and the two cats and noticed that the other cat was gone. He asked his partner who told him what happened. My friend admitted that he was just kidding. They went back to the shelter to get the cat back only to ffind out that they had the cat already put down. I guess because of the cat’s age there’s no likelihood of him getting adopted again. I can’t even imagine how I’d react. So heartbreaking.

My parents had land (one acre) and my dog had freedom there; she spent her days outside. I moved to an apartment and she would be cooped up all day. My parents' home was her home; she was happy there. She grew up there. It was the only home she knew. She was a wirehair dachshund named Erica. She would sleep with me at night. Because she was small at night she'd have to get a running start down the hallway in order to be able to leap / jump on my bed. ;-)))

So sad. I’m sorry.

I have a friend who is not a cat person but his partner had two. One of the cat I think never warmed up to my friend. One night he told his partner, jokingly, that he didn’t mind him taking the cat to the shelter. Well, the following morning his partner just did that. My friend woke up to feed his dog and the two cats and noticed that the other cat was gone. He asked his partner who told him what happened. My friend admitted that he was just kidding. They went back to the shelter to get the cat back only to ffind out that they had the cat already put down. I guess because of the cat’s age there’s no likelihood of him getting adopted again. I can’t even imagine how I’d react. So heartbreaking.

OMG! How awful. I'm more than a little surprised that the boyfriend took his cat to the shelter. Makes me wonder if he would feel that your friend is equally disposable.

That’s what I said. If my partner (should I decide to have one) asks me to do that I’d say time to get a new partner.

Here are two true stories:

1) I started seeing a guy who told me he was "mildly allergic" to cats. When he came over to my apartment he would start wheezing, sneezing, and looked like he would pass out. He was going to see his doctor about getting allergy shots. As much as I hated to, as he was an absolute sweetheart, I suggested that we might not be a match given he would be on death's door upon walking into my place. He gave it a shot (pun intended) and it didn't work. However, he never suggested I get rid of my cats.

2) A few years later, a guy and I are on our first date. I mentioned the cats and he said "of course, the cats would have to go because I don't like cats." When I ascertained he was serious I decided I had to go.

Men!