Question for cat lovers

MassageDrew
This topic is 2291 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Okay so I adopted a stray cat that’s been hanging around my front window. This was years ago btw. I didn’t realized that she was pregnant. She had six kittens. I kept the mother cat and two of the kittens. Two went to one of my sisters and the other two to another sister. Anyways, one of the kittens (12 years later) had a very aggressive cancer and I had him put down this past Thanksgiving weekend. Now, another kitten all of a sudden has cancer and is also very aggressive. My sister was told he has about two maybe three weeks to live. Yesterday she had him put down as well because he’s no longer sleeping nor eating. Hard to watch them suffer this way.

In any case, it’s a coincidence to me that both cats suffered from a very aggressive form of cat cancer and it was around their mouth or left side of the face before it eventually spread all over. The mother cat is fine and so are the other kittens. Could these two possibly had the same father cat? Just curious.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not a zoologist nor a veterinarian, I have been a cat parent for over 30 years. Like humans, one or two cats in a family litter can inherit a tendency toward a disease while the others do not. Think about human families where two siblings get cancer and their sibling and parents don't.

Regarding the parentage of the kittens, it is not only possible but probable that some or all of the kittens share a father. While possible, it is improbable that each kitten from a litter would have a different father.

PS: Kudos to you for taking in that cat and her kittens. There is a special place in heaven for you. And I am sorry for the losses you and your sister experienced.

Siblings on average share about 50% of their DNA. That's an average, it can range widely - theoretically from close to 0% to 100%(though the farther you get from 50% in either direction the less likely it becomes). That's why you see some families where the kids look like clones and others where you're scratching your head wondering if one of them is adopted.

My partner and I just put our oldest cat down because he had cancer. It was very sad. Same story - he wasn't eating, wasn't sleeping, was obviously miserable, his coat was all matted, he could hardly walk. We put him down day before yesterday, put him in the ground today and then had a good cry.

Awww, I am so sorry for your loss.

How old was he?

My partner and I just put our oldest cat down because he had cancer. It was very sad. Same story - he wasn't eating, wasn't sleeping, was obviously miserable, his coat was all matted, he could hardly walk. We put him down day before yesterday, put him in the ground today and then had a good cry.

I am very sorry.

12 years. It was so sad.

12 years is a good run.

Mine both made it to 18 years. Both seemed happy until the end. Boogers got a little enfeebled, but could still jump up into theit happy chair.

When I noticed one didn't come for breakfast I found him dead curled up under my bed. He hadn't been upstairs in several years but he went there.

They're with us for a long time (to them) and then they leave. But not really. There are still times I see that big-ass black cat staring at me.

Edited by deej

Although I haven't had a dog of my own in decades, I became attached to my ex's terrier, who we had to put down after I knew him for more than 7 years. (The four-footed-friend entered my ex's life about 5 years before I did). So, my heart really goes out to you, Rudynate ...

Although I haven't had a dog of my own in decades, I became attached to my ex's terrier, who we had to put down after I knew him for more than 7 years. (The four-footed-friend entered my ex's life about 5 years before I did). So, my heart really goes out to you, Rudynate ...

Thank you.

So very sorry to hear about your loss...

http://www.jackiescrafts.com/images/pets/memory-heaven-cat-pp.jpg

PS: Kudos to you for taking in that cat and her kittens. There is a special place in heaven for you. And I am sorry for the losses you and your sister experienced.

Thanks. You think you’re doing them a favor but it’s still hard. We were hoping he’d pass on his own but he didn’t. Of all of them this one, he was named Snow for his white fur, was the most gentle of them all. I’d come over to my sister and he’d follow me and wait until I sat down. As soon as did he’d jump on my lap to be petted. He’s not people shy. He’ll jump on anyone’s lap regardless whether it’s someone he knew or a total stranger.

I am so sorry to hear this Rudy.

Although I am basically a dog person, I did own one cat, a black Persian who observed all dogs with amused disdain. He was not exactly cuddly, and he never moved except at dinner time, but he lived longer than any of my dogs, and died just before his 16th birthday. I was surprised how much I cried when I lost him, so I understand how you feel.

Thanks. You think you’re doing them a favor but it’s still hard. We were hoping he’d pass on his own but he didn’t. Of all of them this one, he was named Snow for his white fur, was the most gentle of them all. I’d come over to my sister and he’d follow me and wait until I sat down. As soon as did he’d jump on my lap to be petted. He’s not people shy. He’ll jump on anyone’s lap regardless whether it’s someone he knew or a total stranger.

My beloved Willy was 21 years old when I had to put him to sleep back in 2013. About a year before his demise a sore appeared on his nose. It was neither a fungal nor bacterial skin infection, so the veterinarian concluded it was most likely cancer. He lived another year plus. It killed me to put him down, as he was the cutest, sweetest, gentlest cat. Up until his final weekend he was active and seemingly happy. One day, he peed on himself, had trouble standing, and stopped eating. It was time.

Although I am basically a dog person, I did own one cat, a black Persian who observed all dogs with amused disdain. He was not exactly cuddly, and he never moved except at dinner time, but he lived longer than any of my dogs, and died just before his 16th birthday. I was surprised how much I cried when I lost him, so I understand how you feel.[/QUOTe]

Ours had sort of a prickly personality, too. His mother was feral and he had some of her wildness. Now and again he would come to trust somebody, but it was unusual. He was this sweet wonderful cuddly kitty with us though.

My beloved Willy was 21 years old when I had to put him to sleep back in 2013. About a year before his demise a sore appeared on his nose. It was neither a fungal nor bacterial skin infection, so the veterinarian concluded it was most likely cancer. He lived another year plus. It killed me to put him down, as he was the cutest, sweetest, gentlest cat. Up until his final weekend he was active and seemingly happy. One day, he peed on himself, had trouble standing, and stopped eating. It was time.

It happened almost that quickly with our cat.

Awwwe Rudy I'm sorry for your loss. Cancer is a cunty bitch but it's worse when it happens to our fur babies. :( There's an Instagram kitty named White Coffee Cat who went through chemo summer of 2016. Hes a cutie pie and glad he beat Cancer. It doesn't sound like chemo would have done much for your baby.

Hugs,

Greg

Awwwe Rudy I'm sorry for your loss. Cancer is a cunty bitch but it's worse when it happens to our fur babies. :( There's an Instagram kitty named White Coffee Cat who went through chemo summer of 2016. Hes a cutie pie and glad he beat Cancer. It doesn't sound like chemo would have done much for your baby.

Hugs,

Greg

Thank you. The vet said he had fluid in his abdomen and that his prognosis was very poor. She suggested corticosteroids. At first, we were going to have her drain his abdomen and start the corticosteroids, thinking that it could buy him a few months of feeling good, but he fought so when they tried to do the procedure that we decided, with his temperament, we just couldn't put him through any more ordeals.