Starstruck (1982, Australia)

oldNbusted
This topic is 1336 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One of my favorite films is Gilliam Armstrong's second feature film, Starstruck.

wikipedia.org: Starstruck (1982 film)

I had a well worn VHS tape but it was finally released on DVD in 2005, so that was great. The soundtrack is a wonderful snapshot of a moment in the music scene in Australia. Sadly, as the producer explained on the DVD commentary, the rights to the soundtrack were sold off and he has no idea who owns it, so it's never been released on CD. I've been hanging on to a couple of vinyl records.

So I just found out the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia has restored the film. I am hoping hoping hoping this will lead to an HD release somewhere, Blu Ray, iTunes, whatever, and the soundtrack as well.

nfsa.gov.au: NSFA Restores Starstruck

I guess it's not helpful to post about a film that can't easily be seen, but I'm just so excited. The DVDs are on amazon.com for a few dollars, for those who want to take a chance.

So I just found out the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia has restored the film.

The NFSA regularly features on ABC local radio in Canberra. It is truly a national treasure. It's worth looking at its web site. I see from the link above that their screening of Starstruck last week cost $5. Five Bucks!! The Archive is a government instrumentality, so it may not go down the commercial path of releasing the film on blue ray or similar media. Perhaps it should.

For those of you thinking of visiting Canberra, it is one of a number of 'national institutions' that are seriously impressive and open to the public. The National Gallery of Australia, the National Portrait Gallery, the National Library, the National Museum of Australia, the Australian War Memorial and MAD (the Museum of Australian Democracy in the old Parliament House).

• 2 years later...