Mood Killer, or Turn On?

LaffingBear
This topic is 2266 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://tnw.to/2Dmuiqd

So you’ve enjoyed a lovely date; you’re sharing a cab home; things are going great. You suggest a nightcap and your companion agrees. There’s magic in the air, the sexual tension is at boiling point, and you’re both all set to do the deed. What better way to kill the vibe than to whip out an app on your phone to request consent?

LegalFling-hed.jpg

Guest RBmont-real

That such apps are not sexifying is irrelevant. They are simply one more digital distraction ... as the OP suggests, the app was whipped out. The phones are typically already out, not whipped out. Before smartphones, such impending trysts were not interrupted by telegrams, phone calls, drum signals, semaphore flags, what have you. Example text: "Gurlfriend, yah, it took just 6 minutes to the door like you said when we left the club a few minutes ago. See you guys. Talk later tonight ... don't forget to check that meme I mentioned, blah, blah, blah ... and, yah, I totes think it so on ..."

What is one more interruption, one more item in today's long lists of superfluous digital chatter and stimulation? And only 8 seconds will be spent on it before the attention span has been spanned and burned out. If a conversation about consent exceeding 8 seconds ensues, is this not a type of victory bringing smart slightly back to the consumer end?

We call where these apps live smartphones because the manufacturers are smart enough to have made them addictive and consumers are smart enough to fuck (how qualitatively, who knows?) in spite of a long lineup of interpersonal impediments.

Guest RBmont-real

A consent app is (would be) a program on a device that documents mutual consent terms for sexual activity. It does not truly exist beyond logging consent for the 1st second of such activity. As one poster wisely put it, consent is fluid and revocable.

A consent app is not needed or useful for documenting agreement. All that is required is an apt authentic AV recording available for select scrutiny (I'm available) or an apt legitimate on-site third-party witnessing (I'm available) of the sexual activity to assess adherence to the agreement.

Somebody got apt and app mixed up. Or worse, society is going nutsy cuckoo in judgement about the range and breadth of life activities that can be circumscribed within a digital platform. This is all Black Mirror-grade. It satisfies the addictive trends of device use. And now I am hungry and going to prepare fricassee of iPhone.