ICE raids 100 7-Eleven stores across the country.

marylander1940
This topic is 1361 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see what they do with the wine and vegetable fields in California and Washington state once the picking season starts.

Exactly, I don't think Americans would ever do that kind of jobs!

What about the taxi areas at airports?

The real questions is what's next?

Liberal, born and raised in Maryland, proud member of pink pistols!

Ignore list: WilliamM

It gets really old with the mantra "Americans won't do that, ever." If someone is doing labor in this country, regardless of what kind of work it is, they are an American worker, too. I for one like that new-ish commercial showing a guy going from a menial tough labor job as a youth to rushing a hospital patient into an emergency surgery room as an adult. Ambition never goes out of style, but laziness is a sickness.

If they rounded up all the illegal aliens working the fields of Central California and sent them back to wherever, the cost of fruits and veggies would skyrocket. As someone said, these hardworking people (God love 'em) do the work that Americans would NEVER do!

Maybe we need to pay what it costs for a tomato or head of lettuce or bunch of grapes that ensures a fair workplace, decent wages, and profits for the growers

If they rounded up all the illegal aliens working the fields of Central California and sent them back to wherever, the cost of fruits and veggies would skyrocket. As someone said, these hardworking people (God love 'em) do the work that Americans would NEVER do!

Now a days you can barely found an American driving Uber... Thank God for immigrants like my grandparents!

The wages that farms are offering agricultural workers have actually risen, but American citizens still won't take the jobs. Their refusal to consider that kind of work is emotional rather than rational, another proof of the the failure of economic models that assume markets are always the result of strictly rational choices by individuals.

Maybe we need to pay what it costs for a tomato or head of lettuce or bunch of grapes that ensures a fair workplace, decent wages, and profits for the growers

That solution would mean the elderly who are living on social security and a small pension would be priced out of the market.

The small pension often makes them ineligible for programs like state heating assistance in the winter.

That solution would mean the elderly who are living on social security and a small pension would be priced out of the market.

The small pension often makes them ineligible for programs like state heating assistance in the winter.

If things remain the same, totally agree with your statement. But I guess another solution would be to raise Social Security so that it keeps up with the price of the market so that they are not priced out of it. And, of course, full payment for medical/dental treatment would help. Maybe we could also add housing subsidy for the elderly, not just on particular apartments you live in, in particular places.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Make America Sane Again

good point, and as we all know the elderly ALWAYS vote in larger numbers to protect their entitlements, that's why they voted for Trump instead of Jeb Bush and Chris Christie who wanted to adjust social security and other programs. Now they'll be betrayed by Trump, I'm sorry @WilliamM for going off subject.

It gets really old with the mantra "Americans won't do that, ever." If someone is doing labor in this country, regardless of what kind of work it is, they are an American worker, too. I for one like that new-ish commercial showing a guy going from a menial tough labor job as a youth to rushing a hospital patient into an emergency surgery room as an adult. Ambition never goes out of style, but laziness is a sickness.

Huh? How often do you think that happens?

Opportunity is far from elastic. The vast majority of agricultural laborers aren't native-born. Despite crackdowns, many have overstayed visas or are otherwise not authorized to work here. And if you ask employers, they say US-born workers aren't interested in these jobs.

Your beliefs won't prevent anyone from being targeted and deported.

Nobody's free until everybody's free - Fannie Lou Hamer

Avatar courtesy of Chomiji; character drawn by Kazuya Minekura

Huh? How often do you think that happens?

Opportunity is far from elastic. The vast majority of agricultural laborers aren't native-born. Despite crackdowns, many have overstayed visas or are otherwise not authorized to work here. And if you ask employers, they say US-born workers aren't interested in these jobs.

Your beliefs won't prevent anyone from being targeted and deported.

True, however many Americans simply do not have the qualifications to make use of the opportunities that are already out there and neither the private sector or government provides the training. Allegedly the country just dumped a trillion dollars into the laps of companies that are supposed to provide new opportunities for American workers who may lack the training to make use of the opportunities. The training will have to come from somewhere. And it is safe to say that Americans who attend community college or hold degrees are not going to want to become agricultural laborers. That workforce will have to come from somewhere and like it or not those who are providing agricultural jobs are not going to care who provides the labor. Immigration reform will have to take place in order for our economy to survive. 7-11 raids are not going to save the day.

Much of the farm labor in California is done by seasonal workers who uproot themselves from their families, live in substandard housing, and try to make enough money in a few months to allow their families to live for a year in countries where the cost of living is a fraction of what it is in the U. S.

The U. S. had such a work model back in the day of the Civilian Conservation Corps, but that was many generations ago. I expect machines, rather than U. S. workers, are likely to replace seasonal workers today. And there are some crops for which machines are not appropriate.

If you ask me, the folks who rail against seasonal migrant workers are doing so out of jingoism rather than because they have a better economic model.

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

And what about Mr. Trump's vineyard where he could not find even six (6) laborers among good old Americans?! And he had to hire them alien's with special visas.

Isn't that how he got his wife? We never did get that report that was promised that showed she actually worked here legally when she was looking for other daddies.