When do you take down your holiday decorations?

samhexum
This topic is 2291 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Rather than toss her undecked Christmas tree in the trash, one not-so-jolly Californian headed to Costco for a refund.

According to a now-viral Facebook post from an eye witness cited by WFLA, the woman in question arrived at the Santa Clarita, Calif., store on Jan. 4 with her dead tree in tow demanding that she get her money back because it didn't stay lush and green for as long as expected.

"I CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP…Yesterday Jan 4, 2018 at my Costco. Shame on Costco, Shame on this loser, but it's going to start costing all of us when the word gets out….," the post began.

"Woman in line at Costco totally nonchalant, to return her Christmas Tree "because it is dead" on January 4th. I saw the whole thing go down with my own two eyes about 30 minutes ago. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe that someone had so little moral values or lack of conscience."

The kicker? Per the Facebook status, the woman was granted a full refund for the dead tree, though it wasn't without a little push-back from store employees.

"IT WAS QUESTIONED, VERIFIED PURCHASE ON HER ACCOUNT AND SHE WAS SHAMMED (SIC) TO A SMALL DEGREE…," the post read.

They jury is still out on whether this is genius or absolutely ridiculous.

chutzpah with a capital CH.

I always feel the need to take my Christmas decorations down so I may decorate for Valentine's Day!!! Then, of course, the Valentine's Day decorations must come down making way for Easter decorations, and so forth, and so on, etc! ;)

TruHart1 :cool:

Epiphany. They don’t go up till Christmas Eve. Very out of synch with the world of commerce.

But very German. Even more so if you decorate with real lighted candles on the tree. It takes very few candles and a lot careful 3 dimension planning but the results are spectacular.

I battled the flu this holiday season. By the time I got around to putting up a tree, the seasonal vendors were gone and Home Depot had sold out. But Lowe’s across the way was closing out it’s inventory at $2 a tree. The tree got put the day before Christmas but then I gave in to the flu and took to the bed. I got lights on the tree before New Years but that’s as far as I got. It came down on Sunday, the day after Epiphany. Why did I bother? The aroma of course. Unfortunately the aroma never made it through the congestion. But I put a new bag in the vacuum before cleaning up so I may get some pine aroma later. There’s always next year.

I battled the flu this holiday season. By the time I got around to putting up a tree, the seasonal vendors were gone and Home Depot had sold out. But Lowe’s across the way was closing out it’s inventory at $2 a tree. The tree got put the day before Christmas but then I gave in to the flu and took to the bed. I got lights on the tree before New Years but that’s as far as I got. It came down on Sunday, the day after Epiphany. Why did I bother? The aroma of course. Unfortunately the aroma never made it through the congestion. But I put a new bag in the vacuum before cleaning up so I may get some pine aroma later. There’s always next year.

I can't have a live tree. I'm allergic. If I go to a Christmas party where they have live tree or even a wreath or garland I can tell as soon as I enter and promptly excuse myself.

My earliest Christmas memories involve being huddled under a vapor tent with my dad, who was also always sick at Christmas. A doctor suggested to mom "why don't you try an artificial christmas tree?" and that ended it.

I absolutely adore Christmas. Even though I live in a small condo (1200 sq. ft.) it takes me two weeks to decorate for the holidays. I collect hand carved Santas from folk artists all over the world.

I usually start decorating the third week of October. After I finish I take off for Puerto Vallarta with Kesslar for a week of relaxation, margaritas and "fun". Upon my return I help my sister prepare for our family Thanksgiving. Once that is over I start baking and cooking for the several holiday parties I host. I usually bake around twenty prune cake (an old family recipe) which I give to friends and neighbors. I thoroughly enjoy entertaining especially during the month of December and usually host between six and eight gathering of family, friends and neighbors which vary in size from four or five to about thirty guests.

This year I started taking down my decorations on January 1st and had them all down, all stored and the condo all cleaned up by January 6th.

P.S. Part of my joy in cooking and entertaining spills over to the Palm Springs Weekend where I greatly enjoy acting as Oliver's chief cook and bottle washer.

Edited by Epigonos

I absolutely adore Christmas. Even though I live in a small condo (1200 sq. ft.) it takes me two weeks to decorate for the holidays. I collect hand carved Santas from folk artists all over the world.

I usually start decorating the third week of October. After I finish I take off for Puerto Vallarta with Kesslar for a week of relaxation, margaritas and "fun". Upon my return I help my sister prepare for our family Thanksgiving. Once that is over I start baking and cooking for the several holiday parties I host. I usually bake around twenty prune cake (an old family recipe) which I give to friends and neighbors. I thoroughly enjoy entertaining especially during the month of December and usually host between six and eight gathering of family, friends and neighbors which vary in size from four or five to about thirty guests.

This year I started taking down my decorations on January 1st and had them all down, all stored and the condo all cleaned up by January 6th.

P.S. Part of my joy in cooking and entertaining spill over to the Palm Springs Weekend where I greatly enjoy acting as Oliver's chief cook and bottle washer.

OK. If I can’t get an invite to one of your gatherings can I at least get the recipe for your prune cake?